141 Action at Balberkamp

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
An AAR with a tactics question. We played 141 Action at Balberkamp in the BASLO 2020 (Bodø, Norway) tournament this weekend. The Germans need to clear a way across 5 geoboards to win, initially meeting 12 Norwegian squads but with substantial reinforcements on both sides (British in the Allied' case) entering randomly.

Both sides' reinforcements arrived in subsequent half-turns (turn 4-5) and the scenario developed into two simultaneous scenarios, where the Germans could reinforce the fight against the British with whatever could be spared from decimating the Norwegians.

In the last rounds, 3-4 squads had control over the remaining Norwegians in the village on board 3, while large number of German squads controlled the board 2 pass and hunted down British units trying to block the 3 roads on board 6 running off the North edge and making some other blocking attempts.

In the end game (last half turn), the Panzer I with malfed CMG (MA) has stopped in hex J1 where a British 8-1 (wrong in the picture) is holding. A German 9-1/467 has moved up to hex J2 but didn't do damage in the AFPh. The British needs to have one good order unit on/adjacent-to the road to win, and this is the only unit left. What are the choices for the Advance Phase and CC phases, and what are the odds of winning for the Germans?

Attachments

Last edited:

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
This is a long scenario, so give that squad and leader some rest. The likelihood of loosing the ambush (allowing the British leader to withdraw) is greater than of the leader eliminating the AFV.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The likelihood of loosing the ambush (allowing the British leader to withdraw) is greater than of the leader eliminating the AFV.
I cannot see but is the leader and tank in open ground? If so no ambush - nobody is concealed, open ground, so walk in and make sure that the officer dies?

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Sorry that I didn't make the terrain clear. The hex has woods.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry that I didn't make the terrain clear. The hex has woods.
No worries - kudos for taking the bog check and passing. It is a shame that you could not have remained in motion (+2 to the CC roll so the officer cannot kill your tank). In which case Koestler has given you some great advice.............

buser333

Reaction score
With the tank stopped, unless he destroys the tank in CC, the 8-1 will be locked in melee and therefore no longer Good Order. I would certainly not advance the infantry in to join them.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an observation.. If tank is in bypass -1, no manned Mg -1 .. leader kills on a 4? I said bypass because in diagram it looks to be on one side.
Just a thought

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Just an observation.. If tank is in bypass -1, no manned Mg -1 .. leader kills on a 4? I said bypass because in diagram it looks to be on one side.
Leader immobs the tank on a four, kills on a three or less. The immobilized vehicle will still hold the leader in Melee. Chances of British win: 1 in 12. On the other hand if the infantry advance in, the ambush drm are +2 vehicle, -1 leader for a net +1 German, +0 British. The British leader wins the ambush 10/36 of the time and runs out the back door for the victory. If the British leader does not ambush or loses the ambush, it can't eliminate both the vehicle and the infantry (the Germans should not attack), and the British lose for being in Melee.

JR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the leader is ‘held in melee’ by the tank seems like he should be able to withdraw from melee.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If the leader is ‘held in melee’ by the tank seems like he should be able to withdraw from melee.
Next player turn, but the game has ended. The tank drove in this turn so there's no Melee to withdraw from yet. The Melee forms at the end of the CCPh, tying up the leader. If there were another turn the Germans could try to repair the MA, and the infantry could fire into the hex to try to break the leader before it could withdraw in the hypothetical next turn CCPh.

JR