Your experiences/difficulties with the Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006)?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have read some stuff about corner cutters for counters and come to the conclusion that the

Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006)
https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/dp/B00G2G340O

would be the tool of choice. Basically, that is...

When it works, the results are highly praised left, right, and center.

However, when looking at the reviews at Amazon, there was a very significant number of reports that the tool broke rather quickly, which would be an absolute NO-GO at a price of between 45 to 50 USD plus shipping and possibly customs when undertaking to use it on maybe some 20,000 ASL counters.

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/product-reviews/B00G2G340O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=positive&pageNumber=3&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent

The return policy of Oregon laminations says that these are only accepted up to 30 days after shipment or 14 days after an order is received, whatever is longer.

http://www.oregonlam.com/Return_Policy.html

But even working 14 days a couple of hours each won't get you close to finish an ASL set. Which means that if the tool breaks, then you're f*****.

So after having been quite convinced at start and even having had the opportunity to test the tool once, now I am rather hesitant and on guard.

So my question to the community here:

Have you used this (exact) tool and what are your experiences with it?
Especially, roughly how many counters have you been able to treat without it breaking?

Thanks for your help,
von Marwitz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use a this to clip my counters. Only cost'scutters 001.jpg me 2 bucks and have been using it for 20+ years. Of course it has been decorated by Alice lol.

Scott

KYCATS7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have used the Oregon for a couple years now, likely several thousand counters and it still going strong. Uniformly rounds the corners very efficiently.

Highly recommend!

Russ

Geoff White

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've been using one for the past few months without any problems and no lost counters.

It's worth noting that the reviews on Amazon across the last two years seem to be very positive with one exception from last December.

G

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been using one for the past few months without any problems and no lost counters.

It's worth noting that the reviews on Amazon across the last two years seem to be very positive with one exception from last December.

G
I've been using this cutter for about a year and have clipped about 1 or 2 thousand counters (multiply that approximation by 4 for the number of cuts). I have had no problems with the tool, nor has it appeared to have loosened or developed dullness to the cutting edges.

I recommend that the 2 metal posts on the tool be lubricated occasionally with some type of non-oil lubricant, and maybe a bit of cleaning with a cotton swab to keep things running smoothly.

Highly recommended without reservations

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I purchased one direct from them several years ago. No problems with breakage probably clipped close to 5000 counters. I was talking to a guy at a game day that said he broke two of them and I have to wonder how something like that could have happened. The thing appears to be built like a tank. I keep mine lubricated as well and I clean off the plate and cutting surfaces with a cotton swab and alcohol too.

Edit to say thinking about it more, it's got to be closer to 10000-12000 counters now.

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and when you get one, it works a million times better if you clip the counters upside down.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I've had mine for a little over a year. Used it to clip the counters from Yanks2 and some other stuff. The only issue I have had with it is that if you're a little bit careless and the counter is not lined up correctly then instead of a nice rounded corner you get one edge chopped shorter than the other. Mildly annoying but by no means disastrous. Solution: exercise a fraction more care.

I'm with Clubby, I'm not sure how you could break it.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried the plastic version when they had the alignment issues, but I imagine those are solved now. Unfortunately, it was a pain for me to use because I did get one with alignment issues, so I went back to my old 2mm metal version (non-deluxe)... it works fine, but does occasionally clip the side a bit as mentioned above. Not often or bad enough for me to care though, especially with the 2mm. 3mm on ASL counters would be too much. I don't own a 2.5.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have read some stuff about corner cutters for counters and come to the conclusion that the

Oregon Laminations 2mm Deluxe Corner Rounder (C006)
https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/dp/B00G2G340O

would be the tool of choice. Basically, that is...

When it works, the results are highly praised left, right, and center.

However, when looking at the reviews at Amazon, there was a very significant number of reports that the tool broke rather quickly, which would be an absolute NO-GO at a price of between 45 to 50 USD plus shipping and possibly customs when undertaking to use it on maybe some 20,000 ASL counters.

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/product-reviews/B00G2G340O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=positive&pageNumber=3&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent

The return policy of Oregon laminations says that these are only accepted up to 30 days after shipment or 14 days after an order is received, whatever is longer.

http://www.oregonlam.com/Return_Policy.html

But even working 14 days a couple of hours each won't get you close to finish an ASL set. Which means that if the tool breaks, then you're f*****.

So after having been quite convinced at start and even having had the opportunity to test the tool once, now I am rather hesitant and on guard.

So my question to the community here:

Have you used this (exact) tool and what are your experiences with it?
Especially, roughly how many counters have you been able to treat without it breaking?

Thanks for your help,
von Marwitz
Bought one of these last year.... cost to the UK was expensive....however that being said, i've clipped 2500+ counters and still going strong. It's a sturdy product and slightly heavy, as when clipping 200+ counters in a sitting you do notice the weight.

Overall, i recommend it.... i couldnt find anything similar in the UK

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

G
Looking at Amazon's reviews (47 overall as per my above link), 19 are critical and of these 13 report of breakage. Of the 'criticals' one is from 2015, two from 2017 (both reporting breakage) and the rest of 2016.

Given that most people tend to give their reviews pretty soon after purchase at Amazon (i.e. when things are still ok), then 28% of all reviews reporting breakage (i.e. complete failure) seems quite remarkable.

Now here the feedback so far is rather positive.

Somewhat of a quandary...

von Marwitz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw that utube vid you posted about that counter clipper and thought it looked more time consuming to clip those counters vs using a nail clipper or scissors. Plus with a scissors you have more control on how you want to clip your counters.

Looking at Amazon's reviews (47 overall as per my above link), 19 are critical and of these 13 report of breakage. Of the 'criticals' one is from 2015, two from 2017 (both reporting breakage) and the rest of 2016.

Given that most people tend to give their reviews pretty soon after purchase at Amazon (i.e. when things are still ok), then 28% of all reviews reporting breakage (i.e. complete failure) seems quite remarkable.

Now here the feedback so far is rather positive.

Somewhat of a quandary...

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I clipped a lot of counters using either a cutter or nail clipper, and I switched to the Oregon Laminations tool when I got it, and I don't think I'm likely to move back. The result is much more consistent, and it requires much less focused attention to use - you just push the counter down as far as it will move and cut, as compared to taking a close look to make sure you're clipping about the right amount.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I saw that utube vid you posted about that counter clipper and thought it looked more time consuming to clip those counters vs using a nail clipper or scissors. Plus with a scissors you have more control on how you want to clip your counters.
I have seen numerous ways of counters being clipped (from gruesome mutilation to perfect rounded corners in different varieties). While the nail clipper types can be quite good, in my personal view the 2mm rounded corners are just a tad better.

That said, I had sworn never ever even begin thinking about clipping counters due to the insane amount of time and dull effort this takes which could be better spent on playing. An argument that is still hard to beat in fact. On the other hand, my RAACO stuff is done and the friggin lot of us is all to often of the batshit crazy OCD variety... I mean there are some of us that after sorting their stuff and are done clipping the counters then treat them with some protective spray. But I swear, I'll never ever even begin thinking about that... :D

So if I am so irrational to venture into counter clipping, I guess I'd need to do it in the 'best' way (which is arguably not the same for everyone) where time and cost might become a secondary while not completely irrelevant factor.

von Marwitz

Chris Drake

Capitalist Pig
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read somewhere (BGG I think) that the Oregon Laminating Rep. had said they had a bad batch come through. It was also said that if it breaks within a month or so of buying it, they would replace it. I'm not exactly sure of the quote but I a close.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The problem with scissors is that after a while you start getting blisters on your hands (i'm a pen pusher with delicate hands!) and you end up losing concentration and end up with some weird looking counters. Now with that Oregon bad boy you dont get blisters and a nice consistent rounded counter!

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have seen numerous ways of counters being clipped (from gruesome mutilation to perfect rounded corners in different varieties). While the nail clipper types can be quite good, in my personal view the 2mm rounded corners are just a tad better.

That said, I had sworn never ever even begin thinking about clipping counters due to the insane amount of time and dull effort this takes which could be better spent on playing. An argument that is still hard to beat in fact. On the other hand, my RAACO stuff is done and the friggin lot of us is all to often of the batshit crazy OCD variety... I mean there are some of us that after sorting their stuff and are done clipping the counters then treat them with some protective spray. But I swear, I'll never ever even begin thinking about that... :D

So if I am so irrational to venture into counter clipping, I guess I'd need to do it in the 'best' way (which is arguably not the same for everyone) where time and cost might become a secondary while not completely irrelevant factor.

von Marwitz
A friend of mine that doesn't play ASL but a whole host of monster wargames with usually 1500+ counters per game, sits in front of the television and clips counters all night for nights on end, drives his missus crazy. It got real bad when he asked his wife to take over while he went for a shower/coffee break!

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No issues whatsoever. I clipped over 20K counters with them. I do use a high quality machine lube on the posts and the cutting surfaces as soon as I hear it squeaking. I make sure I wipe it down well and I've had no issues with the counters being stained. I did buy one of the earlier versions as soon as they came out.