You are looking LIVE ... at ASL at Winter War 2011 ...

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to thank Brien and the Guys for an enjoyable day Saturday. I stopped in to see what the tournament was like. It was competitive, but fun spirited and a good time.
I was able to play a pickup scenario with Joe (Hi Joe), and see enough to know that I'm putting this one on my calendar for next year.

Chuck
Glad you had a good time, Chuck.

You discovered what I did the first time I went to a tournament: you just jump right into the water and let the chips fall where they may. Although I went 0-7 at my first tournament, the things you mentioned that you liked were the same things that encouraged me to keep attending, and to host my own event.

Brien

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More about this later (I have a 3-hour drive home coming up), but Jim Taylor has become the first-ever three-time Champion with a win over Randy Yeates in the Championship Match. Wes Vaughn takes second, Chris Scott takes third.

Brien

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So nobody could take Taylor down for me, huh?

Congrats JT! Hopefully i can make it next year.
Taylor just has my number it seems. I had him on the ropes in round three in Stairway to Heaven. I had all the advantages with 3 turns left but couldn't win a CC despite CX, pin, etc on Taylor's guys. He got them all. I even fired into the melees, Jim passed the 2MC and the 1MC...my guys didn't. Maybe next year...

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to Brien (and Kevin Graves for the scenario list) for putting together another great Winter War.

As usual I some very good luck to get me past my worthy opponents.

- losing the side choice DR with Larry Zoet. C'est la guerre eh Larry? ;)
- my 1 sniper attack against Don Holland picked out his 8-1 leader, who failed his wound check and caused his 666 squad to fail ELR. That was 25% of his force and his last leader in 1 shot!
- countless CC DR by Doug Kirk where he missed killing ambushed, CX, green squads by 1 multiple times. Great MC rolls for me as critical units pinned instead of breaking on 2MCs and 1MCs. Everytime Doug and I play the game is super close and this was no different. Great game, great opponent.
- Poor John Pires was probably the most harsly done by with my hot dice. 2 CC's massively in John's favor: John needed an 8 on the first one--- rolled a 9 and the CR was rendered null when I rolled snakes and generated a 7-0 leader. I killed a 447+80 back and held 2 more squads in melee. The next one was even more unbelievable... John needed a 10 to kill, 11 to CR and rolled 6,6. Since John's 9-2 was in this hex, withdrawing immediately was not that great because that 9-2 would see me whereever I could move. I opted to stay and attack his squad and 9-2 *hoping* to tie them up for a turn, and rolled ANOTHER SNAKES! John's a very good player and I hope to get the chance to play him again sometime.
- Randy Yeates must have rolled a record for 8s,9s and 10s on 8+2 & +3 fire attacks. It got to a point where I was just assuming his attack would fail--- probably 12 or 13 rolls of this level in a row. Randy played a solid game, but his inability to crack some of my leading units put him a bit behind the curve in the scenario. Another great guy I look forward to getting to play again.

Bob Holmstrom --- the master of the rout to victory, ;), get your work done and come back next year.

Thanks again to all,

JT