What would you like to see on Warfare HQ?

Chuck?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure they don't want that much more traffic. They had to turn off the AAR section to reduce bandwidth.

Priest

Reaction score
Chuck said:
I'm sure they don't want that much more traffic. They had to turn off the AAR section to reduce bandwidth.
I think that they would have to turn off more than that, doesn't Battlefront use a dedicated server for just BF 1942?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
Ok, here's the thing.

WFHQ would consider hosting almost any 'real' wargame, if the interest from the members-at-large warranted the creation of the section, and if we had a couple of good candidates that would make good section leaders - taking the time and effort required to keep things rolling, and the section fresh. (And by real wargames, I mean that you'll likely never see a 'Warcraft III' section, or pretty much any game that falls under the category of 'twitch-fest').
Mantis pretty much summed up what I would have said. Let me give you a little bit of insight into what we are thinking about.

1. We would like to add the scenario voting and statistics that many of you have suggested, however, this is simply too complicated to do within the bounds of the offline program that we currently use to maintain the ladders. This would call for the use of an online database. None of us have the skill to implement that and we are wary of getting outside help to do it. Why? Because what happens if the person that puts this together for us quits? We then have no way to make changes to it or even update it regularly. It would eventually have to be pulled and cause a lot of pain and frustration. Old timers will remember that we already went through this with our old scenario database. That was painful enough. We want to do it, but until we figure out a reliable way to implement and maintain it, it will remain on the back burner.

2. Remove the Uncommon Valor section. Sorry guys. You said you wanted it, but after we went through all the trouble of adding that section there seems to be zero interest in it. The Matrix forum gets a huge amount of activity over this system, but no one here seems to care. Unless something dramatic happens this section will be removed to make way for other wargames.

3. Panzer Campaigns. I know many of you have mentioned this system, but we used to have a Panzer Campaigns system and there wasn't hardly any activity on it. We eventually killed it because we couldn't get and volunteers to be good staff members for it. Without a reliable staff any section will die a slow death, which brings us to the present. The Blitzkrieg Wargaming club already does a very good job of covering this system. Why should we add it? What could we contribute? I'm not against adding it, but I will need to be convinced that there is enough interest and some qualified volunteers for staff.

4. Combat Leader. Rest assured this IS going to happen.

5. Supreme Commander. While this may be a "strategic" wargame, it does qualify as a wargame in my opinion. The Warfare HQ staff have been following the development of this system for a while and we have high hopes for it. Will we support it? I can't answer that right now. The release date has not been finalized and, of course, we haven't played it yet either. We'll keep our eye on it.

6. Wartime Command. Same situation as with Supreme Commander. We'll keep our eye on it.

7. Ezine. A god idea, but it doesn't seem to interest many of you. Unless we hear differently we'll file this idea for now.

8. T-shirts. Probably going to do it, but it may be a few months before anything happens.

9. Some of you have also expressed interest in helping support the website. Well, I need a new Porsche and I believe Pete could use one as well! :cheeky: Seriously, we don't want to charge members for coming here. That could get tricky and cause some problems if we weren't careful about it. One way to support us is by buying things using the Chips&Bits banners you see on the website. So far those haven't done much at all. We may come up with some other methods to help support the club at some point, but it isn't our focus.

10. Continue to provide us with ideas and feedback. There haven't been that many replies to this thread so far. You guys sure aren't this reserved when you tell us about a change you don't like! :rolleyes:

11. Continue to provide your Section Leader with quality articles, AARs, etc. The staff are quite busy simply maintaining the webpage and running tournaments. To expect them to sit around and write articles for everyone is something that isn't going to happen unless we start paying staff members. It may eventually come to that, but we aren't there yet. This club will only be as good as the members help to make it.

12. More reviews. Yes I know we need to do more reviews, but we are pressed for time. We are thinking of adding an additional staff member who can review new games for us. Game companies are usually willing to provide us with a free review copy of the game provided we do a fair and honest review of their product. This person would need to be able to write very well, have significant wargame experience, and be willing to play a variety of wargames and then submit a fair review in a reasonable timeframe. Not many people have these qualifications. Those that do usually want to be paid for it, however, we'll keep our ears open.

Chuck?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
You're talking about somewhere else?
No, remember the pictures don't show up any more to save bandwidth. Obviously you can't handle a thousand new users appearing tomorrow for BF1942.

Priest

Reaction score
What about coffee mugs Don? I mean it would be barbaric to sit down and contemplate a move without a steaming cup of coffee (tea?) in your official Warfare HQ coffee mug. ;)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chuck said:
No, remember the pictures don't show up any more to save bandwidth. Obviously you can't handle a thousand new users appearing tomorrow for BF1942.
While that was indeed part of the concern, 90% of it was actually taking pity on the members that only had dial up (At least, in regards to the AAR section, specifically), and had to load 3 megs worth of pictures to load up a long AAR thread.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
What about coffee mugs Don? I mean it would be barbaric to sit down and contemplate a move without a steaming cup of coffee (tea?) in your official Warfare HQ coffee mug. ;)
Mugs are a pretty good idea too, Don. Don't know how feasible it is. But I'd love to get a mug. Especially if it could be one of those cool large sized ones, or better still, a large metal style one with the lid... Probably have to just be a very basic mug, but the idea is cool!

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Mantis said:
Mugs are a pretty good idea too, Don. Don't know how feasible it is. But I'd love to get a mug. Especially if it could be one of those cool large sized ones, or better still, a large metal style one with the lid... Probably have to just be a very basic mug, but the idea is cool!

Yes a big metal bug with track on side a rotate part on top with a long pipe hummm it is called a gun :D

yes, I would like to buy a tank from WHQ, yeesyesyesyesyes Don, gime a tank don please gime gime but not an Iraquis one no a nice M1A2
Yes! Don gime a nice M1A2 for me to travel into Paris Traffic Jam:devil:

Der WanderDreamer:cool:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Don Maddox said:
I guess it's that time again. We start a thread like this about once a year and let it run for a while. This is your chance to tell us what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong. Here are some topics I would like your feedback on, but feel free to post on any area you're interested in:

1. Are we covering the right wargames? What would you like to see added? What would you like to see go away? Be specific please.

2. What do you think of the ladders? Are they easy to understand? Do they present you with the information you need?

3. Website layout. Is the website easy for you to navigate? Is there enough information presented to the members to answer you questions? Does the website look good and is it easy to use?

4. The forum. The good, the bad, the ugly?

5. What would you like to see us do now that we don't do?

6. How useful do you find the misc sections of the website such as the reviews, interviews, and AARs? Is the general wargaming news of interest to you?

7. What do you think of the general environment at Warfare HQ? Are our membership rules and guidelines fair and do they make sense? Is this a friendly place?

8. What makes you come back to Warfare HQ? How can we make it better?
This new member thanks you for a very nice site which has been of tremendous help.

Primarily into TOAW (upgraded with ACOW from Take2Stores today, cirka ten days delivery time to Sweden), here are some thoughts, in order of priority, regarding TOAW:

I would appreciate some page with info on technical issues, such as software problems, compatibility, version descriptions, info on patches, and reference to places to download such software. Asking too much (already exists?)?
Such a page should be regularly updated as to always be relevant, and always be available "on top". Would be very valuable for green recruits such as me.

Someone suggested training officers, good idea.

It would be nice if the scenario download section more clearly was divided into different versions of the game.

Web navigation is somewhat time-consuming, and the structure confusing, I often need to go back to the first page.

The AARs are great.

The long-term issues regarding building, maintaining and updating web-access databases could perhaps be solved by building them exclusively per game family (TOAW etc) separately and being accessible for members who are willing to pay?

Thank you again.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Would you guys be interested to see reviews and news from non-wargames? We have done a little of that in the past.

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Would you guys be interested to see reviews and news from non-wargames? We have done a little of that in the past.
I wouldn't mind it per say, as long as wargames stay the focus. In fact reviews of non wargames from a wargamer would be helpful in some ways...

Hellen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SupremeRuler2010

Don Maddox said:
1. Are we covering the right wargames? What would you like to see added? What would you like to see go away? Be specific please.
Can we have a SR2010 ladder and forum?

The beta just hit the streets.

I haven't seen any fansites for this game yet, can we have one here?

Battlegoat's forums are ok, but they don't talk enough about strategy and tactics for SR2010 and they don't have a ladder either.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hellen said:
Can we have a SR2010 ladder and forum?

The beta just hit the streets.

I haven't seen any fansites for this game yet, can we have one here?

Battlegoat's forums are ok, but they don't talk enough about strategy and tactics for SR2010 and they don't have a ladder either.
Yes indeed this is something I am watching very closely. I can't say for sure yet, but I have been leaning in this direction for a while. Of course the game has not been released yet and I believe May is when it is predicted to his store shelves.

I would say there is a better than 50% chance that Warfare HQ will support this game in some form or fashion, but nothing is for sure yet. We are keeping an eye on it.

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
What is needed is more detail in the scoring system. I as a user should be able to see my score during the last 6/12/24 months, number of games played etc. Bonus points? How many and when? Number of tournaments played? Number of losses? Number of opponents? How many ladders am I a member of?
More statistics basically.

/Andreas

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Let me take this opportunity to mention what the staff would like to see from all of you.

1. More AARs. The TOAW section gets a lot of high quality AARs on a regular basis, but they are rae for the other games. Yet we get a lot of requests for more AARs. We can't write them all so it's up to the general membership to help with these.

2. More articles. Most of the best wargamers are not on the staff, rather they spend their time doing what they do best - playing games. That means these guys -- and you know who you are -- are the best qualified to write strategy and tactics articles. We contribute what we can, but we need your help to make our articles section what it really could be.

3. Keep doing what you're doing. Ask any member of Warfare HQ why they continue to belong to this club and chances are they'll say it's because of the friendly members and interesting debates on the forum. Most of you go out of your way to help your fellow gamers and assist the beginners. That helps the staff a lot. :thumup:

Priest

Reaction score
Just noticed a problem with the new forum, there are times when the words don't wrap around to a new line they just run on. This seems to be happening when the qoute feature is used, look at posts 50 and 51 on this thread as an example of what I mean.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
Just noticed a problem with the new forum, there are times when the words don't wrap around to a new line they just run on. This seems to be happening when the qoute feature is used, look at posts 50 and 51 on this thread as an example of what I mean.
Is anyone else seeing this? I don't see it and I looked at those two posts. Which browser are you using?

Priest

Reaction score
Using IE, that's odd maybe it's the resolution that I'm using cause I can see the same thing on your response. Let me see if a higher resolution takes care of the problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Well a higher resolution didn't work, well if no one else is seeing it I guess that I can live with it. Strange though.

Last edited: