VOTG - CG4 (Anchorage, Alaska)

quintanius

Reaction score
Its definately been a learning curve, and without the support of these forums and you gentlemen to help us, we'd probably be doing a LOT more things wrong. Such as it is, ASL is complex as hell, and the situations that can arrise can be touchy subjects in the heat of battle. For instance, that Infantry Overrun I tried yesterday: good example of bad memory about a rule read eons ago. Impulse said: hey, he is alone. I can run him over with my infantry and I'll bag myself a Commie. No such luck - the portion of the rule that said "you must spend 2MF to overrun" were the evasive part of the situation..lol. Or something like that. I was already thinking about the next battle I needed to fight: a HIP AA gun that blasted my troops and that needed dealing with very quickly. Can't wait to see what my new Fanatic 8-3-8 can do with a Flamethrower and a Demo charge when adjacent to a 2-2-8 crew manning a AA gun. I'll take the damn thing over and point it at the Russians, thats what I'll do. I'm sure I can scrounge up a crew from someplace...lol.

Thomas

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's good to see the Russian player finally make a posting on the AAR. Just reading one sided propoganda from the facists leaves much of the game report lopsided.

I like what Dave says about playing ASL for the fun of it and I agree as well that some of the best ASL experiences have come from playing when way behind the eight ball so to speak.

That being said, I think the Russians should play better this time. I cringed when the Jerry player (Quintanius) reported in the previous game that the Russkies were suiciding troops to knock out the Stugs. 5 outta 6 chance in refit that the Stug gets towed and repaired as long as in the German perimeter (very high chance) Why lose precious troops to knock out a regenerating troll? Hopefully better tactics all around and the Russkies chiming in every so often will make this an even more fun game to follow in the forums.

quintanius

Reaction score
Indeed - I fully concur. But I must admit, the propaganda was one sided due to the overwhelming success I achieved in the previous game. The photos and the AAR's speak truth...however, that is in the past.

We're both doing much better (actually the Russian is doing much better - my OB leaves something to be desired). The Russian is willing to give up ground and retreat, although my initial surge and willingness to risk a bit when I attack has taken the new Russian players a bit by suprise, I think. But they are both great players.

We're having tons of fun, and poking at each other is part of it. Now hearing the other side pipe-up will make this a better game too. We'll let the readers decide what is propabanda, and bombasting, and what is valid. And we'll make it a point to state the progress of the game in more detail also, with more relevant information as to locations, DR's, and cassualties so that the pictures not only serve as a point of view, but also a guide to our AAR's. And what we tried that worked or did not work, or what tactics we used to what purpose and how it played out for us.

Thanks for showing interest and providing us with all the support and your opinions.

It means alot to us - the Russians (I'm sure) second that!

Thomas

PS: Quick question. The cellar rules say that one cannot be encircled in a Cellar location, by occupying the exit stairs. Now, what about if one had 2 tunnels or trenches connect the Celar location, and one had squads in each and shot (one after the other) into the celar location. Does that now qualify for "Encirclement"? Just working though some possible defensive setups for the night...

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being unable to be encircled by "upper level" encirclement means just that - there's nothing that says (I presume) that they can't be encircled otherwise (EXC: strongpoint). You shouldn't even need to be on the same level, so the trench idea isn't necessary.

As an aside, last night I rolled a 1,1 for a storm group pltn for one of my CGs on 14N: 10-3! (Aka stuka bait)
I don't think my opponent reads here, but it would be great to see his face when that pops out.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking at those Yahoo photos of the initial Russian set up (CG IV take-two) prompts one question. Ummm, where are all the Russian troops, especially in the south? A depleted Rifle Coy and a SMG Coy have to set up hex 42+ (or somewhere near that) That's on average 15-18 squads that should be there. Russian should also have 6 more Coys all over so it seems to me that the map is lacking quite a few brown Russian counters. Unless the Ruskie paid for massive HIP on the first day.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who the heck is Massive Maskirovka and is she related to Ivana ****alot? Maybe?

Mr Benn sometime in the next 10 years I'll get my butt out to England for an extended vacation and we could get in an Orsha or Pegasus Bridge CG. Until then, let's see some non-PTO AARs from you bub.

In regard to quint's question (cellar and encircelment) Morbii's answer sounds right but it would be tough to find chapter and verse to confirm it.

quintanius

Reaction score
We're in the 3rd game turn now. Russians are next. I received the Northern reinforcements and we brought them in on the west edge, close to the center en-masse so to speak, to not activate most of the reserves, and start unrolling the string of counters as we go along.

I had a chance to get a Flame thrower into a nice firing position, and another engineer to drop a demo charge onto some broken squads and a 9-1 leader, but 2 crazy lucky shots broke both: one shot was a 2 FP with no mod and the other one a 4FP with a +2 or something crazy like that, and the Russ rolled 3's on both accounts. My 8 leadership troops been dropping left and right to lucky DR's on the Russian side, followed by 10+ rolls on my side. Bad string of luck...but they broke about 6 squads that way already. Bad JuJu...

I need to make some pics, but I essentially have a strong presence in the center up to the main road beyond the rail-way area. Between the 2 railstation is no russian at all anymore. They lost their 120mm OBA, and the 82mm OBA was a red chit, the first one for that module. I also drew a red chit this turn. So no OBA to lighten things up. We have a nice fire going at the back of the Northern Railstation, and the wind shifted clockwise 1 hex.

I have less bogged vehicles this time, and so far no MOL. No serious injuries have been inflicted on either side with Vehicles, but thats due to come up shortly.

The Russian presence in the south is still strong, but its on the tethering point I think. I need a decent turn of fire to break a few key squads and rally some of my broken 5-4-8's, then I should be good to mount another offensive there. The center is holding as planned until the new forces are in line and can weaken and threaten the flanks of the south and center. That done, some OBA will hopefully crack open that thin line of defenders and my troops will pour all over them. The casualties are alredy mounting. Lets see:

3-1/2 German Squads and 2 Leaders (8-1 & 8-0) vs 12-1/2 Russian Squads and 2 Leaders (10-0 Com & 9-0 Com). No vehicles lost yet...wait, yes, 1 HT.

Stuka's have been mediocre. One failed the TC and few off, and the other was damaged by AA fire !!! and then failed to hit the target with a very bad DR. The Pinning result was the most effective thing they have done so far. But its been only 2..and I have 2 more comming on this turn.

We're plannig on playing on Thanksgiving. Inviting one of the Russian players over with his family: we will make it a point to disapear into the war-room and roll some dice I'm sure. Then its back on on Saturday, for another 10 hour session. The other 2 players on our sides stay for about 5 hours. But we're having a blast playing so far. It very challenging this time around...much more exiting.

Thomas

Eagle02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As they say in Hull, UK, "Yer jerkin' right?"

Maskirovka is a Russian word for the using deception to surprise the enemy. There's a good David Glantz book on the subject called, "Soviet military deception in the Second World War".

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Mr Benn sometime in the next 10 years I'll get my butt out to England for an extended vacation and we could get in an Orsha or Pegasus Bridge CG. Until then, let's see some non-PTO AARs from you bub.
I'd like that Bob. Course I intend to make the pilgrimage to ASLOK at some point.

I doubt there'll be many AAR's for a while as my firstborn is due in less than a weeks time. Still just finished Firestorm at St Manivieu so I might write that up during baby sleeping time.