VotG CG II/IV scenario 1 summary

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks CraigBenn for resurrecting this thread. Now how can we best systematically report following CG dates CVP totals and winning side?

Our CG IV CG Pellam/Wills (German) vs Holstrom/Miller (Russian):

Date / G-CP / R-CP / Victory
Sept 14 / 86 / 111 / Russian
Sept 14 Ni / 35 / 17 / Russian (net +21 Stone location gain by c-attacking Russians)
Sept 15 / 124 / 55 / Russian (net +8 Stone locations gain by attacking Germans)

Last edited:

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been consulting grubby pieces of paper but can't find my 14 Night losses -IIRC I lost 19 squads to 14 squads, but germans lost more leaders and crews and a Stug so about even.

Russian German
14 Day 109 86
14 Night
15 Day 43 91
15 Night 39 63
16 Day Idle Idle
17 Day 129 135
17 Night 10 14

Didn't keep track of stone locations. I think we clog up this thread with CVP as they happen and every 3 months or so Bob can produce a table...

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured out how to search for an old thread. Two new active CGs going on currently for comparison.

My god Mr. Benn your Sept 17th day was 129 vs 135 CVP losses!!! That must have been a slugfest.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

Just to add a CGII:

All numbers are approximates as I have the real numbers at home.

Sept 14th Day
Doug S-Germans: 45 CVP losses
Roger W-Russians: 135 CVP losses

Germans get a large bulge in the center (as appears to be the norm), but concentrate more on killing Russian 426's and tanks than anything. Stukas a complete killer for the Russians

Sept 14th Night
Germans losses: 20 CVP
Russian losses: 20 CVP

Once no move counters are gone, Germans pull back out of the bulge and give a lot of the middle back. Probably a good move as they were really out numbered. The rest of the front stays quiet.

Sept 15th day to be started at some point, but the Summer is always busy.

Peace

Roger

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great thread! here's the CVP summary for VOTG CGIV with me as German and Gary Mei as Russiadn.

14 Day
German Losses:
9 leaders with -5 modifiers, 3 crews, 25.5 squads, 2 AAhts, 5 Stugs (3 were recovered and repaired) ; 111 CVP (only 93 permanent CVP)
Russian losses:
8 leaders with -1 modifier, 38.5 squads, 4 crews, 6 guns, 5 tanks =149 CVP. (3 guns were captured as well as 1 squad so it was officially 149 CVP, but only 141 in units)
15 Day
German losses:
22.5 squads (including 5.5 assault engineers!), 5 crews, 3 leaders with -2 modifier, 4 Stugs, 10-2 AL, 1 AAht (it was already abandoned before it was burned, so only 3 cvp counted) ; 90 CVP
Russian losses:
28 squads (about 2/3 elite), 5 crews, 3 dugin T34's and 1 KV (crew survived), 4 leaders with -5 modifier = 101 CVP

During refit, the Germans lost 13 more CVP when a Stug was abandoned and crew eliminated in an escape attempt and 4 leaders with -3 modifier including a 10-2 were evacuated.

16 Day
German losses: 1 stugB, 3 81 MTR, 150 gun, 21 squads, 1 crew, 7 leaders with -5 DRM = 68 CVP
Russian losses: 2 T34, 2 KV, 3 82 MTR captured, 50.5 squads, 6 crew, 10 ldrs with -4 DRM (including 5 commissars) = 167 CVP

Two things strike me as much different in VOTG vs RB:
1-in addition to raw infantry CVP ratios, in VOTG the ratio of StuGs/guns to tanks/guns in play is also vitally important. It's fairly inexpensive for the russian to create integrated infantry/tank defensive areas that are very difficult to crack. Whenever the ration of afv/guns shifts one way or the other (even if SE are similar) that side will kick some serious butt. The german must obliterate russian tank/guns at every opportunity!

2-as mentioned before, the germans have many fewer days to take the map in VOTG. In RB they have the luxury to have a 'CVP day' just focused on killing russians at a good clip while minimizing losses and not taking any ground. That just won't work in VOTG. Similarly the need to attack at a greater speed than AM/advance makes the ELR 0/no idle day strategy more risky as the need to keep a good pace on the attack requires a more aggressive german attack that would be very fragile if ELR was 1 or even 2.

Has anyone gone deep into the VOTG dates with a low ELR approach?

Paul

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone gone deep into the VOTG dates with a low ELR approach?

Paul
From what I see, a lot of these CGs seem to end early. I am not certain if that happens a lot with RB as well. Just seems like a lot of people are bailing quick. I know that I have a "quick hook" When it comes to CGs. I do not have the time I used to and I see no point in continuing a CG that is to the point of needing a miracle to pull off.

Peace

Roger

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
2-as mentioned before, the germans have many fewer days to take the map in VOTG. In RB they have the luxury to have a 'CVP day' just focused on killing russians at a good clip while minimizing losses and not taking any ground. That just won't work in VOTG. Paul
Huh? What?
In VotG the Germans can easily, with their bonus 6CPPs, gun RGs, StuGs, stukas, OBA, mortars and Death stars create a killzone where nothing Soviet will be living after 4 turns of pounding. Then the German infantry can mop up the block. Falling back out of this killzone is very hard due to open roads, stukas and Deathstars in lvl 2. End result is the trade of some broken German SWs, maybe a leader or two sniped, against a handfull of Soviet squads and their leaders and SWs.

AS long as the Germans aren't stopped cold, or forced to retreat, there is plenty of time to grab all the area. There will be breakthroughs. There will be Soviet fronts crumbling.

of course, all IMHO
Janusz

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Figured out how to search for an old thread. Two new active CGs going on currently for comparison.

My god Mr. Benn your Sept 17th day was 129 vs 135 CVP losses!!! That must have been a slugfest.
The Germans kept attacking as if driven by the whips of Balrogs and chaindogs behind them. The day just wouldn't end and went the full eight turns. I lost huge amounts of ground and both of our infantry casualties were around 60%, as my boys desperately looked in the direction of the Volga for the sun to set.

Ultimately it was to my advantage as the germans had virtually run out of infantry buys...but it didn't feel like it at the time.

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well, they'll keep looking, as in Stalingrad the sun sets over the steppe, and not the Volga.
Volga=east
Steppe=west

:)
Janusz

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whenever the ration of afv/guns shifts one way or the other (even if SE are similar) that side will kick some serious butt. The german must obliterate russian tank/guns at every opportunity!
This statement got me thinking. I agree but I would amend and say the Russians want to kill or harass the StuGs as much as possible too. Please keep in mind I am only 12 turns into my first VotG CG, but I have some early observations.

As the Russians, what really helped us on 14D was keeping the StuGs busy so they really couldn't support the infantry. This especially worked well in the South where the Soviet armor is strong. But I think I can count on 1 hand how many times the StuGs shot at infantry on 14D. Thus if the Germans can kill off the main Russian AT capability, they'll be in much better shape since the StuGs can do their job as infantry support.

So, the Russians want to do what they can to keep the StuGs busy with their own armor, but also any AT capability, and keep those StuGs dancing. You don't necessarily have to kill the StuG. If it's not flaming there is a decent chance you'll see it tomorrow, or the next day. Sometimes just the threat of an attack will keep that AFV crew a little shy. Of course, it all depends on who's driving. :)

Granted it's early in the CG, but it seems to me that the Russians cannot win the CG without some careful planning and even some tricks. That's what makes me think this CG will be so cool. :)

Bortass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are the results of the Sept 14D for CGIV that I'm playing with Lapanzer:
Russian killed 96 CVP
German killed 145 CVP

Breakdown:
Russian losses:
5.5 527
7 628 nkvd
.5 628 E
5.5 447
25.5 426
4 T34
1 KV
9-1,9-0,8-1,8+1
4 crews and a 76L

gernman losses:
10-3, 9-2,9-1,8-1, 8-0, 7-0
3.5 838
5 548
20 467
2 447
2 AA HT
1 Stug B

Not inluded were the following German leaders who were evacuated: 10-2,9-1,8-0,7-0

Not sure how this stacks up but it was bloody for both sides.

janusz.maxe

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bortass, those German infantry and leader losses are horrendous. Please tell us how they came about? What was the strategy for both sides?
Janusz

Bortass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bortass, those German infantry and leader losses are horrendous. Please tell us how they came about? What was the strategy for both sides?
Janusz

The strategy for both sides? As the Russian I went with an up front defence with conscripts in the railyards. They paid a very heavy price. I wanted to make him pay for the ground he took.

The german strategy was to pound the south with some stuff up north but i blunted that attacked. Mike can comment if he reads this

We are both agressive players. So I'll counter attack where ever I can. Mike pushed his troops hard to gain ground.

german losses:
Sniper: 9-1, 7-0, 247, 338. it also wounded a number of the leaders that were evacuated.

Fate: 247

Blazing chariots: 838, it forgot to rout when the hex it was in went up in flames

BT: 1.5 467, 838, 238, 9-2.

K/KIA: 4 467, 238, 10-3(1KIA RS got him), 8-0

CC: 6.5 467, 838, 2.5 548, 228, 237, 8-1

Overrun: 247

FTR: 247, 447

double break: 1.5 548, 5.5 467, 237

2 StuG and 1 HT were killed in CC. The other HT was killed by DF in the unprotected rear arc as it tried to flee.

So 1 really killed 2 stugs, not 1.