VASL 3/5 Newbie night

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok guys, let's give this another go. If you are a starter kit player or just moving into/coming back to ASL, this night is for you. VASL, on March the 5th, 7PM EST. My contact info is below. If you intend to email me with questions about the event, please do so before the 5th. I do check my emails daily, but usually at night. So if you send me one day of, I may not have the chance to grab them b4 I get online.
My email is chnogueira@aol.com
My skype name is carln0130. Please note you will need to add me to your contacts to see if I am online. When you send the request, please just include a brief comment that it regards the VASL night as I occasionally get spam requests too.
If for any reason you are running into trouble logging into VASL/getting to the main room, anything of that nature, please let me know. I HIGHLY reccomend you know you have skype and VASL running prior to the 5th. That way we will have plenty of time to iron out any bugs and get you where you need to go. Tried this last Saturday and had a blast.
Also, any vets who would like to help out moderating rooms, you are more than welcome to assist as I did find myself spread a little too thin. All help appreciated.
Thanks guys,
hope to see a bunch of you on the 5th.
Carl

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl,

How did your first night work out? Did a lot of people show?

John

captwoosey

Recruit
Reaction score
Carl,

Not a newbie, but I am new to VASL. I could use a game or two to learn how to properly navigate VASL. I think my son and I comprise the entire ASL playing population of our current country of residence. Although we enjoy frequent games, I'm sure we would both benefit from additional competition and VASL appears to be our only option for the time being.

Joseph

CrosleyPup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I am a very satisfied "customer" of the last newbie night! I had been lurking around the forums and other ASL resources for a long time, but was apprehensive about jumping in to this intimidating game. Much to my relief though, I had a great game with Scouter75. So much so we played again on Monday and have penciled in another game for this weekend.
Carl has been a big help and was kind enough to join us for our slow paced game on Monday. He answered all our questions, no matter how trivial or basic.

So if you are on the fence, I'd recommend trying it out!

Bill

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Carl,
Is this full up ASL or ASLSK? I am willing to drop by as a tutor if needed but I must admit, I have not played many ASLSK games (2 as I recollect). -- jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not bad all told. about 6 people popped in at different times. Only three actively played. I played a game with Mad Russian who is breaking back in to ASL after a long layoff. The other game was a starter kit game which seemed to go off quite well. Additional people popped in at different times to check it out. There seems to have been increased interest for the second outing as I have already heard from a couple of folks I had not heard from before.
Carl,

How did your first night work out? Did a lot of people show?

John

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jim, it is both. We have both new Full ASL players as well as ones returning who have alot of rust. Also starter kit players. So some of both. I would definitely say you are qualified to help in either capacity. I have a cheat sheet which hits the differences betwwen ASL and SK quite nicely and another player, Pat, has been kind enough to share many useful links.
Carl,
Is this full up ASL or ASLSK? I am willing to drop by as a tutor if needed but I must admit, I have not played many ASLSK games (2 as I recollect). -- jim

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be there Carl. I just started up a pbem game and wow, I AM RUSTY! It's coming back to me but I could use the refresher. Maybe even get into some armor which I never have really been able to get into. As a backup, I could help a newbie-newbie with some basic VASL how-to and infantry/SW scenario.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Joseph. Be happy to introduce you to VASL by way of a tutorial and a scenario. It would have to be on the weekends, given our time difference. Of late, there are usually anywhere from 6-15 or so games running on line at peak hours and almost always someone on to play. Please send me a private message and we can work out a time this w/e for me to help you out/play you and give a VASL tutorial too so you can get more out of the system. Please let me know if you are on skype also. Thanks,
Carl
Carl,

Not a newbie, but I am new to VASL. I could use a game or two to learn how to properly navigate VASL. I think my son and I comprise the entire ASL playing population of our current country of residence. Although we enjoy frequent games, I'm sure we would both benefit from additional competition and VASL appears to be our only option for the time being.

Joseph

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We'll set you up in the coming back department and no basketball games damn it :).
I'll be there Carl. I just started up a pbem game and wow, I AM RUSTY! It's coming back to me but I could use the refresher. Maybe even get into some armor which I never have really been able to get into. As a backup, I could help a newbie-newbie with some basic VASL how-to and infantry/SW scenario.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys, ok, we are a little under a week out. Who can make it next Saturday at 7PM EST so I can get some matches set up ahead? This way you guys can select some scenarios, do your setups in advance. Also I can make sure I have enough help lined up as well. So please let me know.
Thanks,
Carl

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you need a European based tutor (for more convenient timings etc. ) drop me a message as this sort of effort needs supported. 7 pm EST is too late for most europeans.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been considering a European time version of this as we have had some interest from across the pond. While the timing makes it rough for me, why do this as a joint effort indeed? I would certainly be pleased and supportive were you to run a European version of this sort. I have at least three people who have come forward that would benefit and almost certainly attend.
If you need a European based tutor (for more convenient timings etc. ) drop me a message as this sort of effort needs supported. 7 pm EST is too late for most europeans.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would be great, there is defenitely interest. If I can make my hours work with your start time, I will be more than happy to help out there as well.
Okay, I'll check my work schedule and try and get this going too.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Checked with work and I should be able to commit myself to a 7pm GMT start this Saturday.

If anyone want to speak to me I'm vinnie296 on Skype.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So you would be looking to run yours at 7 PM GMT? Where does that correspond with EST? Any idea?
Thanks
Carl
Checked with work and I should be able to commit myself to a 7pm GMT start this Saturday.

If anyone want to speak to me I'm vinnie296 on Skype.

captwoosey

Recruit
Reaction score
Carl, GMT and Casablanca are currently 5 hours ahead of EST. Thanks for your help last Sunday. Looking forward to getting some VASL games in now.

Joseph

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you need another player I think I'll try to pop by for a game. Not a newbie and not an expert. Somewhere in the middle. I could probably coach the typical newbie scenarios.

Preference for a non SK game but I'll play SK too (just let me know what it says on the scenario card for reinforcements and VC).

Is Skype much preferred to the chat window? Does it take long to get set up?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, come on by. Skype is very easy. Free, which is always a good price. Definitely the voice program of choice on VASL. Sound quality is good. My Skype contact name is Carln0130. Feel free to add me as a contact once you get on. Still waiting for guys to get back as to showing up.
Carl
If you need another player I think I'll try to pop by for a game. Not a newbie and not an expert. Somewhere in the middle. I could probably coach the typical newbie scenarios.

Preference for a non SK game but I'll play SK too (just let me know what it says on the scenario card for reinforcements and VC).

Is Skype much preferred to the chat window? Does it take long to get set up?