Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This bit on HZ1 has some never before Forest LOS tricks
Probably by accident. Or a flat-out mistake. You're noticing the LOS between adjacent road hexes doesn't always stay inside the Road?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Probably by accident. Or a flat-out mistake. You're noticing the LOS between adjacent road hexes doesn't always stay inside the Road?
No I meant that K1-L2-M4-K4 LOS/bypass oppoturnity.

Reaction score
First name
Bunny
Country
llCanada
Today, I threw out a lot of ideas and made a choice.
Retro looks fine, nooooot quite there, Squad Leader Classic, well organized, easy to read, but, maybe I am ok with Starters.

Soooo several days (was it weeks) of sorting a gazillion counters (some old, some new, some just plain nah), and I put them all into card sleeves stapled closed and put into a box. At least the sorting wasn't lost.

Going with a Starters approach ie, just going to play Starter scenarios (I have found enough to be worth it). Decided the Starters will make an adequate manual. And will base my counter mix on Starter counter sheets. I have the Starter maps. I have basically all the other maps, but I have settled with 1-88 of Standard maps if I want to DYO through the Starters.

So yeah. This is where I am as of Sunday (today). My desk is looking forward to some offline wargaming. I've always been a squad level wargamer. My favourite digital wargame is Steel Panthers.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, I threw out a lot of ideas and made a choice.
Retro looks fine, nooooot quite there, Squad Leader Classic, well organized, easy to read, but, maybe I am ok with Starters.

Soooo several days (was it weeks) of sorting a gazillion counters (some old, some new, some just plain nah), and I put them all into card sleeves stapled closed and put into a box. At least the sorting wasn't lost.

Going with a Starters approach ie, just going to play Starter scenarios (I have found enough to be worth it). Decided the Starters will make an adequate manual. And will base my counter mix on Starter counter sheets. I have the Starter maps. I have basically all the other maps, but I have settled with 1-88 of Standard maps if I want to DYO through the Starters.

So yeah. This is where I am as of Sunday (today). My desk is looking forward to some offline wargaming. I've always been a squad level wargamer. My favourite digital wargame is Steel Panthers.
Sounds like a good plan to get back into it.

Meanwhile, the Starter Kits have grown beyond 'getting people started to switch to ASL later' into something like 'ASL lite'.

In any case, the SKs will make you see if you want to get into full ASL (in that case, do so after SK3 at the latest) or prefer to stick with 'ASL lite'.

von Marwitz

Reaction score
First name
Bunny
Country
llCanada
Sounds like a good plan to get back into it.

Meanwhile, the Starter Kits have grown beyond 'getting people started to switch to ASL later' into something like 'ASL lite'.

In any case, the SKs will make you see if you want to get into full ASL (in that case, do so after SK3 at the latest) or prefer to stick with 'ASL lite'.

von Marwitz
I actually have ASL, the full ASL. The thing is, how much of it I want to use is the important part. Well, more accurately, how much do I want underfoot :) ASL has a gazillion vehicles that might never see any use. Scores of artillery pieces that seem odd to need. The perk of the Starters, is they are not awash in every peculiar vehicle that ever existed in WW2. Plus I don't care for Desert, and don't care for Pacific. So I have some kit I just don't require... much. Love the boards though. Thinking of using a DYO approach limited to Starter stockpile.

In my perfect world, The game halts at Cross of Iron, has all the countries, and 100 boards and a mountain of scenarios. But some parts of Early Squad leader ARE quirky, and some parts of ASL are actually good.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cut out cardboard rectangles to subdivide my Boxbox Infantry info markers tray. Grouped similar colors next to each other to make things easier to find. I also marked the back sides of the INHERENT (with full stripe) & SW (with half stripe) defensive fire counters for easier sorting.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Found out that a good friend has a 3D printer. He told me that the plastic for it is cheap. And he suggested that he might be willing to print the roughly 200 inserts to fill 3 RAACO Handy Boxes if I provide him with the files...

Arrrrrgh!

This kind man did not know what he was doing...

If I do take him up on his kind offer, I need to subject myself to the agonizing task of devising a new optimized storage system for the new inserts for a double OoB full ASL kit.

If I don't - to avoid this loathsome work - it will be nagging at me forever...

😬🤔🤪

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Found out that a good friend has a 3D printer. He told me that the plastic for it is cheap. And he suggested that he might be willing to print the roughly 200 inserts to fill 3 RAACO Handy Boxes if I provide him with the files...

Arrrrrgh!

This kind man did not know what he was doing...

If I do take him up on his kind offer, I need to subject myself to the agonizing task of devising a new optimized storage system for the new inserts for a double OoB full ASL kit.

If I don't - to avoid this loathsome work - it will be nagging at me forever...

😬🤔🤪

von Marwitz
Everybody knows that ASL counter storage is an evolving thing you get it all sorted and more counters are released, you get them sorted and then kaboom a new type of storage that is better that what you have is found…… rinse repeat……

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Everybody knows that ASL counter storage is an evolving thing you get it all sorted and more counters are released, you get them sorted and then kaboom a new type of storage that is better that what you have is found…… rinse repeat……
If you can't be gunnin might as well be sortin'. Actually I would rather be readin' the rules and just throw all the counters in a box top. De-evolution.