Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aesthetics not my gig. Can we change the color inside the artwork of the vehicle to not the color of the counter? The color limitations on printed counters are not present in unprinted images. Not sure if the hassle factor is worth the effort.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once we get converted over to the SVG format for counters many things will be possible.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Can we change the color inside the artwork of the vehicle to not the color of the counter?
Personally, I'd rather stick to the color of the counter inside the artwork of the vehicle matching the color outside.

Anything else does open a can of worms:
  • Shall the Tiger have North African camo?
  • Shall it be winter camo?
  • Shall it be three color camo?
  • Shall it be plain gray camo?
These and more sets of camo were used for the tank.

I do not want to see North African camo in Russian winter scenarios to name but one example of the awkwardness which would result if introducing colors different from the counter for the inside of the vehicle artwork.

Of course, I am aware that some TPPs have taken this path. But for this very reason I do not use their counters.

Would it be worth the fuss of creating half a dozen versions of a Tiger counter with the various camo patterns? Would it be desirable to have to think about which camo pattern would be applicable in a given scenario?

I think the answer is a clear no.

At times, less is more.

von Marwitz

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think the base VASL counters should always be default black outlines as published and suitable for mid-price displays. But there is absolutely no reason why a TPP should not make available an extension of say "winterized Bulge counters" for those who might be interested. Just don't complain that it's hard to see the winter camouflaged vehicles and personnel counters on the winterized VASL boards when displayed on the latest 5K monitor.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Personally, I'd rather stick to the color of the counter inside the artwork of the vehicle matching the color outside.
Hey, the vehicle outline is about the only place on the counter that does not bear meaningful game information, so it might as well be prettified (in 3 or 4 different color schemes, for the counter lovers).

Oh wait. It does code for open-topness. (And yes, I know some TPPs reused the MP color for open-topped vehicle so they could use color outlines)

Count me among the lovers of "simple" counters.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
After taking over a day to finish the first Hatten CG scenario, we decided to switch from CG1 (5 days) to CG2 (3 days). We both wish we could play a lot faster. Here is a photo of the German high water mark during the first scenario.

View attachment 28297
How to play faster sounds like a good topic for a thread. 🤔

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While playing Bout of the Century, I felt the game slowly slipping away, so I sent the sniper to the scenario designer's hex. However his squad took the hit for him :DView attachment 28320
I want another crack at that scenario. I hit the CVP cap in the 3rd turn by bring to aggressive with the TDs.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday in our play of scenario 195 Rocket's Red Glare, I was playing Ray Woloszyn for the first time. He had a 7-4-7 with BAZ within 2 hexes of the objective hex O7 with my 9-2, two 6-5-8s and a half squad. "Hoping for a critical hit" he said. Rolling a 1,1 he did. Random selection inflicts a 3KIA from the 16 flat on the 9-2 leader. The 8 flat is a 1KIA on the remainder. I Yahtzee the two full squads, they are gone. the half squad is broken and the leader loss check sends it to oblivion as well. Ray said it was his best critical hit ever and I didn't believe him! 🤣

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Played my first scenario in over six months!

U39 The Clearing was a fun little one with not many squads (three squads and crew for the defending Germans), some wire, a minefield and a pillbox. My Germans got one shot with their fairly critical 50L before malfing it and then eliminating it on the fourth repair attempt. It being such a tiny scenario that was going to make it impossible to win unless the Americans stumbled badly somehow, which they didn't. To add insult to injury my pillbox squad, after managing to malf and then eliminate their LMG, decided to go Berserk and charge madly out of the pillbox into an open ground meat grinder. It was pretty close to over at that point anyway, so it was just some amusing icing on the cake.

Anyway, a tiny OoB can always be brittle with a bad box cars, but besides that bad luck the scenario appears well balanced and a lot of fun.

Happy to be rolling dice again after a half a year hiatus!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played BoF04 About His Shadowy Side yesterday at the SoCal ASL Club game day against @johnl. In the end, I won as the Germans. John passed every single MC through 6 turns. He pinned probably 15 times. Aside from a KIA on the 2nd turn and a Sniper taking out one of his two leaders, I could not lay a hand on him. Fortune turned in the last turn where he could not pass one when he needed to be bold and run to capture the final building hexes. Fun scenario.