This is a test.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well spotted, maybe I should have picked the winter camo pic against the white page ;)

I just wanted to see if I was doing the pic upload properly, I've never added a pic to a post yet.

I will post some AAR's with photos in the AAR section soon-ish.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot see a pic attached. i THINK you might have to be a supporter to add pics now to the GS forums. I just signed up, $20 is all I can afford right now but feel it is well worth it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So if someone said that all attachments posted prior to the upgrade were gone, would you would think that some might remain? Here is an image for you:

148ArmeniusStatue6.jpg

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So if someone said that all attachments posted prior to the upgrade were gone, would you would think that some might remain? Here is an image for you:

JR
Arrgh! :facepalm:

I did not realize that the OP was from a date before the upgrade...

Asche auf mein Haupt...

von Marwitz

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
whats the statue? looks like some kind of Roman to me, in Germany? never figured the Germans would celebrate the Romans being there to be honest
am I getting a bit confused here maybe?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
whats the statue? looks like some kind of Roman to me, in Germany? never figured the Germans would celebrate the Romans being there to be honest
am I getting a bit confused here maybe?
It's in Hermann, Missouri (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9KGQ_Hermann_Statue_Park_Hermann_Missouri). Missouri was planning to join the Roman Empire and erected the statue to curry favor. They then discovered the Roman Empire fell in 476, so they decided to join the United States instead. They couldn't afford to take the statue down, and they figured no one would notice anyway.

JR

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
oh wow, got you, that's pretty cool actually, never knew there was town named after Hermann
must have been German immigrants that founded it I'm guessing

thanks for letting me know

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I haven't done a count, but there may be more statues of Hermann the German in the United States than in Germany.

JR

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
really? that surprised me to hear that, kind of cool though nonetheless :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It's in Hermann, Missouri (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9KGQ_Hermann_Statue_Park_Hermann_Missouri). Missouri was planning to join the Roman Empire and erected the statue to curry favor. They then discovered the Roman Empire fell in 476, so they decided to join the United States instead. They couldn't afford to take the statue down, and they figured no one would notice anyway.

JR
Well it's more a case that the wanted to make sure they didn't get forced into the Roman Empire, which finally only ended in 1453 with the fall of Constantinople. Though you might quibble a bit about the Eastern half being "Roman" (Greek was the language), there is still a continuity since Rome was founded (supposedly around 753 BCE). At 2206 years it's the longest contiguously surviving state that I can think of. Pharaohonic Egypt may have had a longer span but was conquered by the Hyskos (~1650 BCE) and that was a ruling occupation not just a visiting raid, so not contiguous.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, "this is a test" was accompanied by a picture before the overhaul.

This no-need-to-comment thread got kind of weird...did the forum overhaul effect the forumites?

By the way, Paul, my ancient history's not A1: were the Hyskos upper Nile 'Sudanese' people?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
By the way, Paul, my ancient history's not A1: were the Hyskos upper Nile 'Sudanese' people?
Hyksos (my initial bad spelling was "Hyskos", duh!) supposedly meant "rulers of foreign lands, once mistranslated as "Shepherd Kings". They came from the North-East, what later became known as Canaan. The consensus is that they were a semitic speaking group of nomads, though likely containing some other linguistic/ethnic groups as ancient 'hordes' regularly had a mix (I don't care that he is a Mongol and conquered us, there's loot to be had, let's join).

The first started drifting in starting about 1800 BCE and by around 1650 BCE overthrew the native dynasty. They were finally expelled about 100 years later. Their chief god Baal became associated with the Egyptian god Set and in Egyptian eyes Set went from a good god to a bad one. While modern eyes may view that period as an invasion, just as plausible is that they started as traders and possibly food refugees and later, in combination with more and newer arrivals, took opportunistic advantage of the weakness of the native dynasty to establish their own state. They seemed to have introduced improved bows, war axes and the horse to Egypt, along with other technologies, animals and crops. As horses then were still too small to carry men they were used to tow chariots. What we think as the archetypical Egyptian mode of warfare, bow armed chariotry, was actually a foreign development.

The Hyksos have been the subject of much speculation, some saw their intrusion as the basis of the Hebrew stories about Joseph and Moses et al. One could speculate that the enslavement of the Hebrews as a result of an Egyptian war of liberation or of paranoia from the earlier invasion. Of course, like ideas that Moses was Akhenaten, such speculation should be dipped in salt, deep fried and consumed as a very light, amusing snack. Such tales may have some tiny grain of truth transmitted by folklore, but that's about the limit. Most of the Hyksos era is unknown because the Egyptians erased as much related records as they could, a la 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Paul, so they came out of the Sinai, not from the south.

Last edited:

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is another test.

ASL Test Photo.JPG

And another test to see if I can write after posting a pic.

Last edited: