The ASL WIFE...

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
My wife is very supportive of my gaming time and hosting/feeding ASLers here at the house. Hell would freeze over before she even considered playing ASL. Anything beyond Carcassonne is too uninteresting for her. In Honor of my beloved wife, I decided to make her a counter and get her into the game, albeit the cardboard version of her.

ASL Wife
A Wife is a SMC that is stealthy. All Wife SMC have a morale of 9 and leadership of 0 and are treated as a Commissar in all regards unless specified here. When stacked a wife is superior to all other non-wife SMC’s. A Wife subject to Heat of Battle is automatically berserk. A wife is worth 5 VP (EXC, fanatic wife is worth 10 VP)

Stacking: All SMC/MMC units stacked with a Wife must move as a combined stack when moving. A SMC may never move independently of a Wife (EXC, unless passing a DTC (Divorce TC)

DTC: Any unit that wishes to move independently of the Wife must pass a DTC. Any non-wife SMC passing a DTC must abandon ALL possessed items, which may be freely possessed by the wife. Any unclaimed SW/Radio/Field Phone counters are removed from play. Once any SMC passes a DTC it may never enter the same location as that wife SMC for the remainder of the scenario. A non-wife SMC that becomes fanatic may never attempt a DTC.

Scorn: A wife that has been successfully divorced suffers scorn. All wife related TC’s are modified +1 for each scorn effect suffered.

Tasking (Honey Do’s): At the start of the RPh all friendly units stacked with a wife SMC must pass a tasking NTC. A MMC that fails the NTC is marked TI. A SMC that fails the NTC is wounded (eliminated if already wounded)

Straying: Any SMC in a stack with a Wife that strays is automatically eliminated.

BFFTC (Best Friend Forever): If two or more Wife units are in the same location one combined BFFTC is made immediately upon entry of location. A passed TC results in BFF (Best friend forever status) Multiple BFF Wife units must always be together and move as a stack for the remainder of the scenario. All other units subject WTC, Wife Task Checks must repeat them for as many BFF wife units are in the stack. Anytime a wife unit becomes broken and later rallied, must repeat the BFFTC.

Falling out: A BFFTC failure results in the Wife units automatically locked in melee with one another. All other units in the stack are marked TI until the melee is resolved.

The Market: If the market (or any building defined as a market by SSR as a market) is in the LOS of a wife unit, it and all units in a stack with the wife must charge the market choosing the path of least MF to reach it. All units charging the market can do no other activity than Move/Advance. Shopping: Once entering a Market location, a secret dr is made. The secret dr result is the number of turns the wife and all units stacked must remain TI in that location before moving normally. If the secret dr is a 6 all non-wife units are immediately broken and remain DM until completion of shopping and may not rout away, are immune to surrender and never eliminated for failure to rout. Once a market building has been shopped, it need not be charged again by that wife unit (Keep a side record for such buildings).

Passenger/Rider: When a passenger/rider, any unit transporting a wife MUST spend one stop MP for every 1/3 of total MP's spent (FRD) Any vehicle spending a Start MP must pass a NTC, otherwise is lost. A Lost vehicle must move towards the nearest building location (to ask for directions) If no such building exist the vehicle is marked stun.

Last edited:

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When we had the 20th Brackin Basement Bash we had T-Shirts made. My wife was the 10-3. anyone who attended the Bash knows how much she helped and accepted the invasion to our basement.

Those of us who are married know that a Great ASL Wife is hard to come by and if you are blessed with one, you need to show that appreciation and love back!!!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
When we had the 20th Brackin Basement Bash we had T-Shirts made. My wife was the 10-3. anyone who attended the Bash knows how much she helped and accepted the invasion to our basement.

Those of us who are married know that a Great ASL Wife is hard to come by and if you are blessed with one, you need to show that appreciation and love back!!!
Amen,brother!

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would like to note that I divorced my wife but we're still friends & I like the guy she's with now. she even bought a used camper for me to live near the rugrats now that I'm not in Hammond. I guess I'm the exception to the rule so that must make me exceptional! 🥳

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would like to note that I divorced my wife but we're still friends & I like the guy she's with now. she even bought a used camper for me to live near the rugrats now that I'm not in Hammond. I guess I'm the exception to the rule so that must make me exceptional! 🥳
It has always been known that you are exceptional. 😉

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My wife is very supportive of my gaming time and hosting/feeding ASLers here at the house. Hell would freeze over before she even considered playing ASL. Anything beyond Carcassonne is too uninteresting for her. In Honor of my beloved wife, I decided to make her a counter and get her into the game, albeit the cardboard version of her.
View attachment 26425

ASL Wife
A Wife is a SMC that is stealthy. All Wife SMC have a morale of 9 and leadership of 0 and are treated as a Commissar in all regards unless specified here. When stacked a wife is superior to all other non-wife SMC’s. A Wife subject to Heat of Battle is automatically berserk. A wife is worth 5 VP (EXC, fanatic wife is worth 10 VP)

Stacking: All SMC/MMC units stacked with a Wife must move as a combined stack when moving. A SMC may never move independently of a Wife (EXC, unless passing a DTC (Divorce TC)

DTC: Any unit that wishes to move independently of the Wife must pass a DTC. Any non-wife SMC passing a DTC must abandon ALL possessed items, which may be freely possessed by the wife. Any unclaimed SW/Radio/Field Phone counters are removed from play. Once any SMC passes a DTC it may never enter the same location as that wife SMC for the remainder of the scenario. A non-wife SMC that becomes fanatic may never attempt a DTC.

Scorn: A wife that has been successfully divorced suffers scorn. All wife related TC’s are modified +1 for each scorn effect suffered.

Tasking (Honey Do’s): At the start of the RPh all friendly units stacked with a wife SMC must pass a tasking NTC. A MMC that fails the NTC is marked TI. A SMC that fails the NTC is wounded (eliminated if already wounded)

Straying: Any SMC in a stack with a Wife that strays is automatically eliminated.

BFFTC (Best Friend Forever): If two or more Wife units are in the same location one combined BFFTC is made immediately upon entry of location. A passed TC results in BFF (Best friend forever status) Multiple BFF Wife units must always be together and move as a stack for the remainder of the scenario. All other units subject WTC, Wife Task Checks must repeat them for as many BFF wife units are in the stack. Anytime a wife unit becomes broken and later rallied, must repeat the BFFTC.

Falling out: A BFFTC failure results in the Wife units automatically locked in melee with one another. All other units in the stack are marked TI until the melee is resolved.

The Market: If the market (or any building defined as a market by SSR as a market) is in the LOS of a wife unit, it and all units in a stack with the wife must charge the market choosing the path of least MF to reach it. All units charging the market can do no other activity than Move/Advance. Shopping: Once entering a Market location, a secret dr is made. The secret dr result is the number of turns the wife and all units stacked must remain TI in that location before moving normally. If the secret dr is a 6 all non-wife units are immediately broken and remain DM until completion of shopping and may not rout away, are immune to surrender and never eliminated for failure to rout. Once a market building has been shopped, it need not be charged again by that wife unit (Keep a side record for such buildings).

Passenger/Rider: When a passenger/rider, any unit transporting a wife MUST spend one stop MP for every 1/3 of total MP's spent (FRD) Any vehicle spending a Start MP must pass a NTC, otherwise is lost. A Lost vehicle must move towards the nearest building location (to ask for directions) If no such building exist the vehicle is marked stun.
Very nice!

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
It means you're Battle Hardened!

Reaction score
First name
Bunny
Country
llCanada
The OP post was funny :)

Kinda disappointed though, am I the only ASL wife? In that I'm the wife, and it's me that plays ASL (in addition to Squad Leader, and most of the wargames you have heard of).

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I've meet 1 ASL wife, but I can't say I've met many ASL players.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The OP post was funny :)

Kinda disappointed though, am I the only ASL wife? In that I'm the wife, and it's me that plays ASL (in addition to Squad Leader, and most of the wargames you have heard of).
There is one female ASL player in Germany that I know of. She has visited GRENADIER tournament two or three times.

A while ago, a female player from Italy posted in the "New here" section, but since then nothing was heard or seen from her.

Besides that, rarely, you hear of girlfriends who play a game or two of ASL for the sake of their boyfriend. But unsurprisingly, they don't stick to it.

Ah, yes... And then quite a number of years ago there was that spooky dude around in this forum who posed as two girls playing ASL. Maybe some would consider an extra letter for this in the LGBTQ... alphabet-soup.

von Marwitz

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don’t get out much, but was there not an ASL player called Nigel who is now Nigella?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think there is an Italian female ASL player.
I also know an ASL player who transitioned from male to female some years ago - not quite sure she still plays ASL.
But there aren't many women who play histotical wargames as a whole, and ASL is a niche hobby within that niche hobby.
Anyway, welcome to the community.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don’t get out much, but was there not an ASL player called Nigel who is now Nigella?
Yes, that is indeed true. He/she is from the UK. I believe many years ago, I saw (still) him at GRENADIER, too. I don't know if there is still ASL activity, though I do receive phishing mails from an apparently hijacked email address from Nigel once a month or so.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But there aren't many women who play histotical wargames as a whole, and ASL is a niche hobby within that niche hobby.
There are many women playing LARP - including of the fighting variety - but LARP is not wargaming.

von Marwitz