Scenario setup files?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, just set up VASL over the weekend and was going through the different d/l's and extensions.Saw a link for the scenario setup files but link goes to dead page domain for asl.org. Can anyone tell me if there is a place to d/l the scen setup files? Do I even need the scen setup files? Thanks now for any help/advice you can give.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hi all, just set up VASL over the weekend and was going through the different d/l's and extensions.Saw a link for the scenario setup files but link goes to dead page domain for asl.org. Can anyone tell me if there is a place to d/l the scen setup files? Do I even need the scen setup files? Thanks now for any help/advice you can give.
You don't need the set up files. Seems that as often as not, a new version of VASL breaks a lot of the set up files.

You probably gain insight into the scenario by setting it up yourself and it takes no longer than checking a set up file for correctness, which you should do anyhow.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
You don't need the set up files. Seems that as often as not, a new version of VASL breaks a lot of the set up files.

You probably gain insight into the scenario by setting it up yourself and it takes no longer than checking a set up file for correctness, which you should do anyhow.
Jazz is wise in the ways of the VASL. Heed his words!

S

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks very much Jazz and SA. Appreciate the input. I was not even really sure what the files were.If I may impose on you again, do most players use Skype? If you don't use skype how do you let your opponent know who you want to fire on? I really think these may be dumb questions, but I am not yet familiar with VASL, and am eager to know/learn.Thanks again guys.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks very much Jazz and SA. Appreciate the input. I was not even really sure what the files were.If I may impose on you again, do most players use Skype? If you don't use skype how do you let your opponent know who you want to fire on? I really think these may be dumb questions, but I am not yet familiar with VASL, and am eager to know/learn.Thanks again guys.

Yes, more and more, most players use Skype. Otherwise, you end up typing an awful lot. It looks like this:

Player 1: A4-B6, 8+3
<P1 DR> 6,3
Player 1: NE
Player 2: -
Player 1: A5&A6, FG to B6, 16+3
<P1 DR> 2,1
Player 1: 2MC
Player 2: ttb
<P2 DR> 6,6
Player 2: Crap! Wound severity
<P2 dr> 5
Player 2: In the head...
etc...

It works. And sometimes (notably with language barrier) it's actually better, but it's always slower.

S

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much Spencer,appreciate your help. Typing,ugh, I am a very slow typist, so I'll be going with the Skype option.Tried to rep you but am going to have to hit you another time.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much Spencer,appreciate your help. Typing,ugh, I am a very slow typist, so I'll be going with the Skype option.Tried to rep you but am going to have to hit you another time.
No worries. VASL has done so much to help keep the hobby going, I just like to help support it any way I can. :D

S

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Yeah, VASL with Skype is dang near a FtF experience.

It's passable using the chat window, but it seems the voice communication makes it so much closer to sitting across from your opponent.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is nice.My FtF partner up and moved on me, so I've been doing a few solo, about 3 games in 1 year. So it will be nice to get more gaming in and with the skype component it should be all that much more fun. One last question,hope you don't mind.Does anyone use the Teamspeak client for games? Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
That is nice.My FtF partner up and moved on me, so I've been doing a few solo, about 3 games in 1 year. So it will be nice to get more gaming in and with the skype component it should be all that much more fun. One last question,hope you don't mind.Does anyone use the Teamspeak client for games? Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.
Never heard of Teamspeak, but if it's a voice communication program similar to Skype, it should work.

Skype seems to be the most universally available program used by folks on the VASL server, and you'll find that half (if not more) the allure of VASL is being to play many folks from many different places.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have not heard of oovoo.What is it?
The Teamspeak interface is a voice communication utility.I have it on my computer and used it to play Chain of Command. It is easy to connect and use.I don't think it is real common. But having it already on my notebook I thought I'd ask.My wife has been using Skype for quite some time now and tells me that its very simple to use.The thing with the Teamspeak client is that you have to connect to a specific server in order to use its function with the particular app.So there was a Teamspeak Chain of Command server that you had to connect to in order to use it while playing the game.The CoC server had a password and you had to be a registered user of CoC in order to get the PW.There are a ton of Teamspeak servers and most are not PW protected.Combat Mission,Game of Thrones(I think that what its called),and other clubs and such are a few of the servers available.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Have not heard of oovoo.What is it?
The Teamspeak interface is a voice communication utility.I have it on my computer and used it to play Chain of Command. It is easy to connect and use.I don't think it is real common. But having it already on my notebook I thought I'd ask.My wife has been using Skype for quite some time now and tells me that its very simple to use.The thing with the Teamspeak client is that you have to connect to a specific server in order to use its function with the particular app.So there was a Teamspeak Chain of Command server that you had to connect to in order to use it while playing the game.The CoC server had a password and you had to be a registered user of CoC in order to get the PW.There are a ton of Teamspeak servers and most are not PW protected.Combat Mission,Game of Thrones(I think that what its called),and other clubs and such are a few of the servers available.
I haven't used anything but Skype (Wilco long ago, but...) Skype is stone-axe simple. My Grandmother uses it to see the baby...

S

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I'll be using Skype and vexing all you I play with revolting pics of my mug. At least my wife says you can turn off the vid feed, so theres that. Although with the vid feed I have the opportunity to scare my opponent into submission.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I'll be using Skype and vexing all you I play with revolting pics of my mug. At least my wife says you can turn off the vid feed, so theres that. Although with the vid feed I have the opportunity to scare my opponent into submission.
:laugh:

"BLOCK VIDEO!!!!!!"

;)

S

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
lol, I can always craft myself the mask like Elephant man used. But that again would negate my one advantage.One of the lesser cool apps that came with my notebook is something that you can use when you use the onboard camera. You can add all kinds of effects to your picture, like clown masks, fake nose/mustache/glasses combo, horns... Kind of fun to mess around with. Perhaps a mask like the baddy used in Mad Max, with a tuft of hair sticking out the holes... Just distracting enough to get in that sneaky CH.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you tell me a bit more. Can oovoo users interact with people on skype? What has your experience with it proven to be like?Thanks

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We use both skype and join me at work some of our other groups dumped skype (due to the IE browser requirements, which is a stupid design) and join me for oovoo. I have not used it hence my question. Not sure if oovoo users and skype can comingle, my guess is that skype wont let this happen...

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no reason at all that you couldn't use Teamspeak if you already have an account. It's basically the same voice communication concept as Skype except that typically you press a button to talk instead of just having an open line like Skype.

Teamspeak is really designed for larger groups. My stepson and nephews use Teamspeak when they play group games together on the computer and then often leave the line open just to have an instant chat channel between the four of them.

But few ASL players will have Teamspeak or even know what it is while everyone has Skype or at least knows about it.