Q6 Per l'Honore di Roma - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Q6 Per l'Honore di Roma - AAR

This is a scenario from Lone Canuck's "Quick 6" pack set in June 1941 in Russia setting up a small Russian infantry force with a single 9-1 leader, 2x 127 Crew, 2x MMG, and 2x 50mm MTRs to defend village from an Italian infantry attack. The attacking Italians need to take most of the Stone Buildings in the village and their initial force has roughly double the number of squad-equivalents than the Russian, a 9-1 and 8-0 leader, 2x126 Crews, 2x LMG, 2x (dm)MMG, 2x 45mm MTR.

The Italians receive reinforcements in their Turn 3 in the form of yet another 4.5 squad equivalents, 2x126 crews, an 8-1 Leader, 2x(dm)MMG, and another 45mm MTR. The Russians receive reinforcements in their Turn 4 consisting of 4.5 squad equivalents, an 8-0, and a MMG.

The problem for the Italians is that they are brittle, their advantage is numbers and that they will be able to flank the Russians with their reinforcements. The Russian advantage is the better TEM in the village, their drawback that they cannot afford losses and must stop as many Italians as possible of the initial force so that they don't get overwhelmed by sheer numbers when the enemy reinforcements attempt to outflank them.

I played the defending Russians in this game. I think my defensive setup was basically sound, though there's not too much complicated stuff to think about.

The Italians moved very cautiously for their first two turns, striving to avoid losses. They didn't need to worry, though. This was one of those games, where you don't believe what the dice are doing to you. My DR average for the first 2.5 turns was above 7.5. I truly kept shooting but could do no damage even to Italians. My problem was, that most of the time I could not even generate Morale Checks which is usually not the hardest part against attacking Italians - 32 shots with an DR average of more than 7.7! I have to state, though, that the DRs of my opponent were not brilliant either. We both simply could not harm each other during this part of the game. The bad thing for the Russian, though, was that the Italians were closing in and that their number of GO units was not diminishing. I think until the start of Italian Turn 3, all the effects I managed were 2 Pins, 1 Break (by Sniper), and a single 1KIA vs. an Italian HS with those 32 shots (not counting the MTR's TH rolls...). My Russian force was not reduced in number at all but I had a broken squad without leader someplace.

Our second session started with Italian Turn 3 and the entry of his reinforcements. As the initial Italian force was now very close and basically at full strength, my defending Russians had more than enough to do dealing with these. Furthermore, 'the Italians in being' did inhibit my movement options. Yet, I had to fall back with some of my small force to prevent the Italians just waltzing in from behind. Given the situation, this was impossible, so the Italian reinforcements could move into postions that allowed them to encircle virtually all defending Russians and to set themselves up for pot shots against my reinforcements.

I thought, my DRs could not get worse compared to our first session - and I was right. This time, the Russian's overall DR average was better: 7.58. My 23 IFT DRs were averaging 7.52 so the Italians mostly never needed to roll any of the dreaded MCs. My 6 MC's were averaging 8... The TH average was 8.75 for my MTRs. It wasn't exactly fun, but it was funny. Since the start of this scenario, I couldn't harm a thing turning the Italian attack in to a literal walk-over.

This began to tell, as everything that I had which did break had to surrender thereafter. While losing only a single HS due to Italian fire, I lost 2 squad equivalents, a 127 crew, and my only leader as PoWs and another 447 to CC. The Italian losses to show for it were ridiculously low: He had killed one 126 himself by boxcars on a Rally attempt, one 136 was taken out by my Sniper a second 136 eliminated by a K/2, a third one in CC an one 346 because I had to declare No Quarter to prevent becoming a Guard when Italians were waiting to advance into CC.

The game was so full of hairraising frustrations that it was unbelievable. One of the most eminent ones was the following: After two Italians squads got Pinned by a FL and were stuck together in a hex with another 126+MTR in OG, my 50mm MTR opened up on that stack, needing a 7, 8, and 9 to hit (we used a 3rd die for determining ROF). I kept ROF three times piling up Acquisition, but rolled 10, 10, 11, not even hitting these sons of bit**** much less harming them...

So after 56 IFT rolls averaging 7.64 and managing to kill but two Italian HS with all that fire, completely surrounded without a leader, I conceded before the entry of my reinforcements at the end of Turn 3. I think I made the best out of the situation, but sometimes it is not to be.

Here is the situation at the end of Italian Turn 3:

I wonder how this scenario would play if both sides have something like average DRs. Surely more Italians would break and likely not come back within the scope of the game, but this might have also applied to the Russians sometimes which can less afford losses due to their small number initially. What is quite interesting in this Infantry-only setting is the large number of SW and (vehicular) Crews provided to man them.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played this as the Russians against Xenovin last year. Great fun! My Russians shot up his initial force, but the flank attack took some buildings because I had hardly anything to hold them. I did nail one flanking squad with a concealed unit he was SURE was a dummy. Then my reinforcements charged on and started stomping on the Italians that made it into the village. Soviet victory!!! Notify Stalin at once!!!

My shots were better than average. The problem for the Russians is that they have such a small force, and two sides of the board to defend.

The problem for the Italians is that they are Italian.
:D:D:D

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Italian attacker AAR.

Italian needs to encircle as the only way to have some option to get russians off +2 or +3 obstacles. With two MMGs and 9-1 in at start group and two additional MMGs with 8-1 in second group entering along the south I decided to move the at start MMG group from P10, looking a position around building K7. If posible this group will cross the road I8-I10 to get the houses around the stone building in G6. With only 2 leaders, I assigned 5 first line squads to this group. The other units, including LMGs, leader and the two mortars manned by the crew, will move to the building in N5, and across the wheatfield in N3, looking for a safe route to J1. The mortar are needed all the posible time, so I used my crews. With only two leaders and needing the 9-1 for firing vs enemy positions, the crews have some option to recover by themselves if broken, and mortars will be surely the units needing to fire from the very start. General idea with italians is using exposed routes when a rout movement to building or woods is available, to have an option to rally the surely broken units, with my 8-0 leader ready to move when needed.

As soon as my heros entered I discover he has a very frontal defense, with units in very firts line (M5 and L7) where I supposed he has dummies. This defense is based on inflicting the maximun damage on the first group moving rearward later to opposite the second group. I decided to avoid direct combat, maintaining concealment as much as posible with the maximun hindrance DRMs until my second group entered. I supposed he will need to move to cover the second group approach, and I try to get well placed SWs to harm those movements, surely on his 2nd turn Mph. I moved my MMG group to M10, with good LOS to the road in russian rearguard, and mortars to threat russian mortars in woods and orchard. One good use of those little mortars is to encircle, a hit with 2+3 for effect if enough to encircle if coming from the exact direction, so I moved one mortar on the south border looking for a posible encirclement combined with the MMG group. The other mortar was looking for shots in the center area from O6.

I survived his second turn with my right group concealed, and my MMG group did his job with a long range shot from M10 breaking the 447 in G4 moving to cover F3 área, 2 shots with 8+1 as D1F, and then another two 8+2 were needed -fortunately excellent ROF dice-. He has fired with all the others and so my reinforcement entered directly from C1 reaching concealed F4 at the end of the advance phase (MMg group with my 8-1). I entered the mortar and some first line units looking a position around E7 orchard to create some opposition to his 4th turn reinforcement, by coverign the Woods movement with my mortar. and threat the russian MMG and crew in the G6 Stone building. Initial south group crossed his fire lanes from J5 (2flat) entering finally J1 and J2, and my initial MMg group with lot of support from every italian units available reached the L7 building advancing to K7 to duel the J5 main russian group. One italian 1st line even crossed the dangerous I8-I10 road after some units has moved to eat his defensive shots from I7 and J5. Other units initiate risking moves to get the closest positions to try to get maximun damage on his defense before the russian reinforcement entry.

Finally I survived Prep fire from his main group (4+1) vs my 9-1 and MMg group in K7, and his leader failed the return fire (12+2). The proximity of my units and italian everywhere to avoid routing caused lot of prisioners and encirlying, and russian defense collapsed except for the group in G6, surrounded by italian 1st line. Russian reinforcements were to enter on this 4th russian turn, but we decided to stop here.

Not sure if the plan had survived a better russian IFT average, but I can´t think any other way to win this scenario as italian againts an at start frontal advanced russian opposition

Interesting match vs a good opponent.

Last edited: