Pinned units in rout phase question

Joshua Astray

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
In the PFPh,a MMC is attacked and broken,further attack make it pinned.Then in rout phase,what will happen to it?Being elimated for can't rout?
Thanks

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
In the PFPh,a MMC is attacked and broken,further attack make it pinned.Then in rout phase,what will happen to it?Being elimated for can't rout?
Thanks
I'm not familiar with SK, but I suspect that the rules are roughly consistent with ASL on those topics that are presented....?

In ASL, the Pin is removed on a break:

A7.8 PIN: Pinning (7.305) also occurs whenever any unit is attacked resulting in an IFT MC that is passed by rolling the highest DR possible that still results in a passed MC. ............ Remove all Pin counters at the end of the current Player Turn or if the unit subsequently breaks/goes-berserk/Battle-Hardens/becomes-heroic (whichever comes first).
I would take a closer look in the section in the SK rules to see if there are words to the same effect in the sections regarding Pin?

Joshua Astray

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
Then that means no break unit will be pinned?
They will only suffer from DM(if not before and got a pin result) right?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Then that means no break unit will be pinned?
They will only suffer from DM(if not before and got a pin result) right?
Effectively, yes.

The only instance I am aware of that a broken unit can become pinned in ASL is during interdiction in the rout phase.

I am not sure if these topics are included in the SK rules.

When will I learn to not answer SK questions as I do not have the rules?

Joshua Astray

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
Yep,they are "partly" included in the SK.Pin during interdiction is mentioned in SK.But the SK have no other unit status other than break,so there is no rule about pin with break,only in the MC mentioned,a break unit got a pin result will suffer DM.
Thanks for help.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks
Joshua,

A broken unit can never be pinned. A pinned unit cannot be pinned a second time.

However, a pinned unit may become broken. If one attack pins the unit, another attack may break the unit. In that case, you remove the Pin as soon as the unit breaks.

In short, only an unbroken unit can be Pinned.

Brien

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Joshua,

A broken unit can never be pinned. A pinned unit cannot be pinned a second time.

However, a pinned unit may become broken. If one attack pins the unit, another attack may break the unit. In that case, you remove the Pin as soon as the unit breaks.

In short, only an unbroken unit can be Pinned.
If a routing unit rolls exactly its morale level on an interdiction DR, I believe it is also called "pinned", although this sort of pinning is different than a pin result due to an attack. The unit ends its RPh, and no Pin marker is placed. I don't have my ASLSKRB handy to verify that the same term is used, however.

JR

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
If a routing unit rolls exactly its morale level on an interdiction DR, I believe it is also called "pinned", although this sort of pinning is different than a pin result due to an attack. The unit ends its RPh, and no Pin marker is placed. I don't have my ASLSKRB handy to verify that the same term is used, however.

JR
You are right.

ASLSK3RB 3.6: "An interdicted unit that suffers a pin result on its NMC may not rout futher that RtPh and, if still adjacent to at Known Enemy Unit, is eliminated for failure tor rout."

mdnowak

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading this question and the replies about being pinned in the rout phase reminded me of a related situation I was puzzled about. Suppose a routing unit has to rout through an open ground hex to reach its routing destination and is pinned as a result of interdiction. As far as I know, pinned units are not allowed to move. Is the pinned-routing unit now elimintad due to being in open ground, in LOS of a known enemy unit, and now not being able to reach a woods or building hex?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Reading this question and the replies about being pinned in the rout phase reminded me of a related situation I was puzzled about. Suppose a routing unit has to rout through an open ground hex to reach its routing destination and is pinned as a result of interdiction. As far as I know, pinned units are not allowed to move. Is the pinned-routing unit now elimintad due to being in open ground, in LOS of a known enemy unit, and now not being able to reach a woods or building hex?
Hmmm, I can see how that might be confusing as it is worded....if they moved to a new OG hex and were pinned during interdiction, then they did not remain in the original OG hex that they started the RtPh in.

The whole idea of low crawl (A10.52) becomes a bit silly if they are going to die for failure to rout if they end up in an OG hex at the end of the rout phase?

ant_dk

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
DM units are eliminated for failure to rout if they are adjacent to a KEU. They are not eliminated for being in an OG hex in LOS of a KEU.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to resurrect this after 16 years but the heading seemed applicable.

A unit broken in a minefield location and ADJACENT to a KEU pins on their morale check while leaving the minefield. Are they eliminated for failure to rout?

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A unit broken in a minefield location and ADJACENT to a KEU pins on their morale check while leaving the minefield. Are they eliminated for failure to rout?

I don't think there are minefields in Starter Kit? Is this by SSR in a scenario?

In ASL, the short answer is yes..

Best,
Joe

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Broken units do not pin on morale checks except for interdiction checks which are rolled exactly.
A broken unit does not take a ptc

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
DM units are eliminated for failure to rout if they are adjacent to a KEU. They are not eliminated for being in an OG hex in LOS of a KEU.
They are eliminated if they can't rout from the starting Hex they are in if it is OG.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken units do not pin on morale checks except for interdiction checks which are rolled exactly.
A broken unit does not take a ptc
I know this isn't starter kit, my mistake for posting here.

A broken unit forced to rout for being ADJACENT started the rout phase in a minefield location. While routing they were hit with a result of a MC. They passed on the exact number. We played it as the same as if they failed an interdiction MC, they were pinned and therefore eliminated for FTR.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably didn't make a difference but good to know.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The fourth sentence of A7.8 says "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction (10.53)" so the unit routing through the minefield is not pinned.
Pinning affects during interdiction, but not during routing? That is a nuance I never suspected.