Pillbox/Bamboo: Adv vs Difficult Terrain?

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bamboo hex contains a pillbox. May an ADJACENT Unit, in Advance Phase, use Advance vs Difficult Terrain to advance into the pillbox in the bamboo, or just the bamboo only?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It may only enter the bamboo. The pillbox is a separate location, and the unit must move into the bamboo before entering the pillbox. Typically if you have a pillbox in bamboo you would not move into it as the defender (or you might move in by tunnel), and as the attacker you would spend several turns getting in to control it if that's what you needed to do.

JR

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi JR, thanks. That confirms our assumption. But, what gave me pause was the difference between MPh and APh. In MPh, the unit would Minimum Move in and, because they would become Pinned, couldn't also enter the Pillbox. But, with Adv vs Difficult Terrain we weren't sure that one couldn't claim the extra MF to move into the pillbox as one would, e.g., a Trench. But, the reasoning about it being a separate Location clarifies it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi JR, thanks. That confirms our assumption. But, what gave me pause was the difference between MPh and APh. In MPh, the unit would Minimum Move in and, because they would become Pinned, couldn't also enter the Pillbox. But, with Adv vs Difficult Terrain we weren't sure that one couldn't claim the extra MF to move into the pillbox as one would, e.g., a Trench. But, the reasoning about it being a separate Location clarifies it.
A4.7 "A unit may not change both its Location within a hex and also the hex it is in during the same APh." A unit can Advance into a pillbox, or it can Advance into the hex outside the pillbox, but it can't do both in the same APh. If entrenchments were allowed in bamboo, a unit could Advance into the entrenchments in the bamboo because it would not be changing Location within the hex also.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it helps, think of a PB kind of like an additional level of a building within the hex. You can't advance into the ground level of a building and simultaneously advance to the 1st level (another location) within the hex with the same unit.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! In the interim, I've found the article in the new Special Ops is especially instructive in this regard. I think, however, part of our confusion was that we were doing the lookup on the fly during the scenario. Seems clear now that we should've remembered the A4.7 verbiage as mentioned by JR above.