Pillbox and a Berserk Unit

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

In the attached file there are two German units on the map...and (you'll have to assume) there is a Berserk Russian (me) squad in the Pillbox. It's the start of the Russian MPh so the 'zerker is ready to go. Now my opponent and I had a rules discussion about this but I think we got it right...and here's how we played it.

The Russian squad only has LOS out of the Pillbox CA (B30.2)...so he only sees the German unit on the 1st level of R39...therefore his Charge target will be that hex per:

A15.43 CHARGE: At the start of the MPh, each non-Melee berserk unit must charge the nearest (in hexes not MF) Known enemy unit in its LOS....

Pretty obvious there...

He now expends 1MF to exit the Pillbox and now has LOS (verified during play) to the other German unit in W37. So the situation is the Berserker has LOS to two units which are equidistant from his hex. Now I didn't place all the correct units on the map...but the Germans had a Death Star in the 1st Level building Location...so I really did not want to cross the bridge and face almost certain annihilation. So I said I will Charge the other unit instead...and this is where the discussion started.

It was decided that the Russian could not change his target because per:

A15.431 If, in the act of charging the nearest Known enemy in its LOS, the berserk unit moves into the LOS of a closer (in hexes) Known enemy unit, he charges that unit from that point instead.

Was our conclusion correct? Or did we miss something? Of course this is for future reference (A.2) because needless to say...even now the red mist is still floating around in the air above the street in front of R39....:upset:

View attachment 19572

asler

Reaction score
Hi,

In the attached file there are two German units on the map...and (you'll have to assume) there is a Berserk Russian (me) squad in the Pillbox. It's the start of the Russian MPh so the 'zerker is ready to go. Now my opponent and I had a rules discussion about this but I think we got it right...and here's how we played it.

The Russian squad only has LOS out of the Pillbox CA (B30.2)...so he only sees the German unit on the 1st level of R39...therefore his Charge target will be that hex per:

A15.43 CHARGE: At the start of the MPh, each non-Melee berserk unit must charge the nearest (in hexes not MF) Known enemy unit in its LOS....

Pretty obvious there...

He now expends 1MF to exit the Pillbox and now has LOS (verified during play) to the other German unit in W37. So the situation is the Berserker has LOS to two units which are equidistant from his hex. Now I didn't place all the correct units on the map...but the Germans had a Death Star in the 1st Level building Location...so I really did not want to cross the bridge and face almost certain annihilation. So I said I will Charge the other unit instead...and this is where the discussion started.

It was decided that the Russian could not change his target because per:

A15.431 If, in the act of charging the nearest Known enemy in its LOS, the berserk unit moves into the LOS of a closer (in hexes) Known enemy unit, he charges that unit from that point instead.

Was our conclusion correct? Or did we miss something? Of course this is for future reference (A.2) because needless to say...even now the red mist is still floating around in the air above the street in front of R39....:upset:

View attachment 19572
Looks to me like you did it correctly. The 2nd German unit is not closer so the Berserk unit continues on towards its target hex.

Chris

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. There is no provision for the berserker changing his mind because someone else is "as close" as his target.

I think this is the way it "should" be. You shouldn't have much control over berserk or broken units.

BTW, did he need the -1 bridge TEM?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would read it the same way, the new target would have to be closer.

Don't fret too much, the deathstar would likely have greased you when you crossed the hexside into the first stone building on the way to the 2-4-7... A snap-shot from a deathstar is still dangerous at half-FP -2 (not to mention a leader of some sort I would hope).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A snap-shot from a deathstar is still dangerous at half-FP -2 (not to mention a leader of some sort I would hope).
FFNAM/FFMO DRM cannot apply to a Snap shot (A8.15).

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, did he need the -1 bridge TEM?
There was a -1 Bridge TEM? :D

Anyway...in this case my opponent let me cross the bridge and fired Point Blank. I think the result would have been enough to kill 2 or 3 squads...:nuts: