Olive Groves and Vehicular wall advantage

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
B14.8 allows vehicles to gain wall advantage in an olive grove.

To what end? WA for vehicles in olive groves seems to offer nothing. B9.36 only offers HD status to vehicles behind walls. A vehicle that claims WA in an olive grove seems to give up a +1 tem for nothing.

Am I missing something?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Normally, a vehicle in a hex containing +1 TEM can not also claim WA over an actual wall hexside of that hex. B14.8 simply provides an exception to B9.32. There must actually be a wall/hedge hexside in that Olive Grove hex for it to do so with.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Has this had a Q&A applied to this rule?

The rule says that a vehicle can claim WA in an olive grove, which I read (likely incorrectly) to take WA at will in the hex - being hull down vs. the +1 TEM, regardless of there being a wall.

This is based on the olive groves themselves providing the cover similar to a wall.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, since an Orchard (Inherent Terrain) is considered an Olive Grove and all Orchard rules apply to such [EXC: It has a +1 TEM] (B14.8), a vehicle in such would automatically be entitled to claim WA/HD status but could opt instead to claim the inherent TEM on a shot per shot basis. If it claimed the +1TEM of the Olive Grove instead of its HD status, I believe it would still have WA by virtue of the inherent terrain aspect of the hex (B.6, B9.32-.323 & B14.1-.8).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Normally, a vehicle in a hex containing +1 TEM can not also claim WA over an actual wall hexside of that hex. B14.8 simply provides an exception to B9.32. There must actually be a wall/hedge hexside in that Olive Grove hex for it to do so with.
Correct - this part "vehicles may gain WA (9.32) in an olive grove hex." in B14.7 and B14.8 is just an exception to B9.32 - it does not mean one can claim WA in Cactus Patches and Olive Grooves just by being in those types of terrain - one still needs e.g., a wall.

I think that is more-or-less clear when looking ab B9.32:
"A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken ground level unit which is not: a vehicle eligible to receive in-hex TEM of ≥ 1 [EXC: Height Advantage (10.31)/Cactus Patch (14.7)/Olive Grove (14.8)], in Column/Convoy, in a Fortified building possessing a Gun,..."

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The major advantages to a vehicle of being able to claim it is not only the HD statusit grants but the fact an enemy moving adjacent would not be able to claim the wall.