OB11 SSR "Avril Action"

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How exactly should this work? I thought passengers lost concealment with their vehicle, so as soon as a 'live' enemy unit wanted to strip concealment on the HT, wouldn't the passengers cloaking status also be lost?

SSR3. All German Personnel must enter play as Passengers in the SPW 251/1
halftracks. All Passengers may be kept offboard on a Cloaking Display, with
a cloaking counter of the appropriate ID left on board on the vehicle until the
Passengers engage in any action that would result in concealment loss, or are
affected by an attack of any kind resulting in at least a PTC. German vehicles
entering on Turn t have only half MP allotment available. Road Movement
Rate (D2.16) for vehicles is NA.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How exactly should this work?
I think all German Personnel would enter play as Passengers but kept offboard on a Cloaking Display, with a cloaking counter of the appropriate ID left on board on the vehicle until the Passengers (not the vehicle) engaged in any action that would result in concealment loss, or were affected by an attack of any kind resulting in at least a PTC.

Cloaked passengers are in the rulebook for boats and LC and amphibs during a seaborne assault.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As Brian says, the Passengers have to do something to become uncloaked. The question still leaves a load of questions. If the vehicle moves, aren't the Passengers moving too? Probably not the intention. Is FP at the Passengers halved while cloaked? Also probably not the intention.

JR

How exactly should this work? I thought passengers lost concealment with their vehicle, so as soon as a 'live' enemy unit wanted to strip concealment on the HT, wouldn't the passengers cloaking status also be lost?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would rather follow the intention of the SSR rather than a litteral interpretation. At least this is how i've played it (a long time ago).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would rather follow the intention of the SSR rather than a litteral interpretation. At least this is how i've played it (a long time ago).
Yes, I would play it along the lines of G14.23/E5.123, with the additions that Passengers remain cloaked on land but lose cloaking if they perform any action.

JR

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Its an SSR which means it trumps the standard rules. The intent of the SSR is that the passengers remain cloaked until said passengers do something specific that would result in normal '?' loss.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think all German Personnel would enter play as Passengers but kept offboard on a Cloaking Display, with a cloaking counter of the appropriate ID left on board on the vehicle until the Passengers (not the vehicle) engaged in any action that would result in concealment loss, or were affected by an attack of any kind resulting in at least a PTC.

Cloaked passengers are in the rulebook for boats and LC and amphibs during a seaborne assault.
Good point and I will have to check there for guidance. That is one section of the rules where I have read them once...maybe.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My general take is that when they unload, they engage in action that would cause concealment loss. No mention of there needing to be an enemy unit with LOS type thing.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My general take is that when they unload, they engage in action that would cause concealment loss. No mention of there needing to be an enemy unit with LOS type thing.
The SSR only applies to Passengers, so once the units debark they are no longer cloaked, regardless of whether debarking out of LOS is an action. That does raise the question of what happens if units should re-load onto vehicles. SSRs like this are hard to get right.

JR