New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, I have decided to try loading Chapter H notes. I have created a Chapter H folder in my templates folder and all of the PNG files are on display. When I click on any of the PNG files, I get a message saying that I can't open it as the format is currently unsupported (I use Microsoft Photos) or the file is corrupted. What do I do next?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All the png files are empty. You need to copy the info from the DYO section of the rulebook. The png files in the Chap H folder are numbered in accordance with the vehicle and ordnance notes in the rule book. Once you’ve copied the section you want, rename the file exactly the same as the png file in the folder and then copy replace the file in the folder with the newly saved file. It will overwrite the png file. You then close and restart the program and if you’ve done it correctly there will be a little snippet icon in the top right hand corner of the vehicle ordnance row in your template.
if it doesn’t appear the most likely reason is that the snipped image was copied to the wrong file.
bear in mind though, that unlike the counter images the chapter H info is stored on your harddrive. Unless you store it online only you will be able to see the chapter H info. It looks brilliant, BTW, but you need to balance the time taken to do it versus the usefulness.

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still looking for help with this:

I'm trying out vasl-templates for the first time and am interested in playing around with the Chapter H features. However it isn't clear to me how the ".X" entries are handled. e.g., German vehicle 9.1 "FT-17 730(f) & FT-17 730(f)". I only see ".png" files for "whole number" entries.

Also, I see that there's an option for ordnance/vehicle notes as PNG or HTML files, is that also true for the multi-applicable notes? In order to catch all the rich text I was thinking it might be easier to have the multi-applicable notes as images.

TIA

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suppose I could just insert an img tag for the specially formatted multi-applicable notes and use regular html files for the standard notes. Otherwise I can try researching to see if the various special characters/formatting used in some of the notes are available in html.

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the "white" counters represented anywhere? (Wagons, Sledges, Motorcycles, etc...)

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
are they in the design your own chapter H?
I wanted to add them to a scenario and they were not incuded in the German OOB, nor in any other folder in VASL Templates that I could find. They are not in the Chapter H placeholders either. Horse-drawn transport (wagons/sledges) are listed in Chapter D 12 with bikes and motorcycles listed in D 15. I did not see them anywhere in the Rule Book in Chapter H.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wanted to add them to a scenario and they were not incuded in the German OOB, nor in any other folder in VASL Templates that I could find. They are not in the Chapter H placeholders either. Horse-drawn transport (wagons/sledges) are listed in Chapter D 12 with bikes and motorcycles listed in D 15. I did not see them anywhere in the Rule Book in Chapter H.
More than likely then that they cannot be added

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look in the SW tab of an OB. There is a tab labelled White; horses, bikes etc are in there.
I suppose I worded my OP poorly. I understand those items are grouped under the SW tab as white counters, I was just wondering if they were included in the VASL Template files. I looked through the various OBs and did not see them so I suppose not. Any notes will just need to be added via other "snippets".

Thank you NtheP for the reply, help is always appreciated.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose I worded my OP poorly. I understand those items are grouped under the SW tab as white counters, I was just wondering if they were included in the VASL Template files. I looked through the various OBs and did not see them so I suppose not. Any notes will just need to be added via other "snippets".

Thank you NtheP for the reply, help is always appreciated.
I don't think they can be added from within the template program as it stands at the moment.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Still looking for help with this:

I'm trying out vasl-templates for the first time and am interested in playing around with the Chapter H features. However it isn't clear to me how the ".X" entries are handled. e.g., German vehicle 9.1 "FT-17 730(f) & FT-17 730(f)". I only see ".png" files for "whole number" entries.

Also, I see that there's an option for ordnance/vehicle notes as PNG or HTML files, is that also true for the multi-applicable notes? In order to catch all the rich text I was thinking it might be easier to have the multi-applicable notes as images.

TIA
Just rethinking my erroneous initial response to your post. the answer is yes they can. Open the empty HTML file with note pad, copy and paste the text from the MA entry into the correct file and prefix it with <p> the info will then be loaded as an image.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just setting up a scenario involving partisans and note that they don't seem to be included in the nationality dropdown box in Templates. I'm curious as to why they seem to be the only "nationality" that has been omitted?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
has anybody successfully stored their Chapter H data online and played a scenario where both players can see the vehicle notes? I dabbled with drop box but can't get the path to the folder recognised by the program settings.

Cheers

Paul

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
has anybody successfully stored their Chapter H data online and played a scenario where both players can see the vehicle notes?
You won't be able to use Dropbox, since it doesn't give you a predictable URL.

You would need to upload the images to e.g. your own server, or AWS S3, somewhere where you can get it to respond to a URL like myserver.com/chapter-h/vehicles/german/42.png.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re-upping this, still hoping for a reply.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
The next beta in the v1.9 release cycle is now available. If you're on Windows, get it here. If you're running it in Docker, or from source, there is a new branch on Github.

If you are running from source, you will need to rebuild your virtualenv.

New features

• Updated the flags for the Allied/Axis Minor nationalities.
  • Added a nationality for Partisans.
  • The UI controls are now completely hidden if a nationality has no vehicles and/or ordnance.
  • Analyzing a VASL scenario now reports the version of VASSAL and VASL it is using.
  • Minor tweaks to the templates.
  • Images in snippets and custom list bullets are now turned on by default.
  • Made a new VO_NOTE_IMAGE_URL_PATH parameter available to templates.
  • Updated the Chapter H placeholders ZIP file.
Other minor changes and bug fixes

• Updated dependencies.
  • Got the embedded browser in the desktop app going again on Fedora 35 (and probably other distros).
  • VASL versions can now be aliased (to allow data files to be shared).
  • Fixed an error that could happen if the configured VASL .vmod didn't load properly.
  • Added more logging to the VASSAL shim.
  • Stop the DOS box from showing when we launch the webdriver (this is now be done in the code, instead of having to change the Python source code).
  • Artifacts that are downloaded as part of building the Docker image (Java, Firefox, and geckodriver) can now have their URL's overridden.
  • Updated dependencies.
  • Different backend webdrivers are now used when running the test suite.
  • Tightened up how the test suite skips certain versions of VASL.
  • Logging to a file is now possible when running the test suite.
  • Minor tweaks to the help.

Last edited: