[NC] Raleigh/Cary ASLers?

sparty

Gamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard there are ASLers in the Raleigh/Cary area....

Anyone up for a game? I'm new, so if you're not into helping a new guy out...a game with me right now might not be a great fit. It will be at some point. I'm not new to wargaming, just ASL.

I'm looking for all the help I can get to be honest. I only own ASLRB v2, BV 3rd, & Yanks. So I've got a lot of gaming, but not a lot of ASL.

PzLehr

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to ASL as well. I live near Morganton, NC. Where is Cary? I'm about 1/2 hour west of Hickory. I play a few wargames now but want to really learn ASL...even online if anyone wants to give it a go.

Thanks,
Chuck

Talloaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard there are ASLers in the Raleigh/Cary area....

Anyone up for a game? I'm new, so if you're not into helping a new guy out...a game with me right now might not be a great fit. It will be at some point. I'm not new to wargaming, just ASL.

I'm looking for all the help I can get to be honest. I only own ASLRB v2, BV 3rd, & Yanks. So I've got a lot of gaming, but not a lot of ASL.
Chuck Payne, director of the annual tournament here in Raleigh, could give you a handful of names of people who could get a game in with you. Here's the link to the tournament info (it was this past March) and has his email address there. http://home.roadrunner.com/~cpayneasl/bitter_ender.html#bitter_ender

Also, one of the major ASL retailers, Gamers Armory, just opened a store in Cary (684 Cary Towne Blvd), which may be worth checking out. I could meet you there one Saturday. PM me if you're up for it.

Hi,
I'm new to ASL as well. I live near Morganton, NC. Where is Cary? I'm about 1/2 hour west of Hickory. I play a few wargames now but want to really learn ASL...even online if anyone wants to give it a go.

Thanks,
Chuck
Cary is over by Raleigh. I know Winston-Salem has a pretty active ASL community, and I think Charlotte has some ASL players too, if you don't mind making a day trip. I'd start a new thread in this forum asking for both FtF and VASL games. I know you'll get people who'd love to help you out.

sparty

Gamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well that's great news. I'm definitely looking forward to trying to get something set up on a regular basis like a game night that's either weekly or bi-weekly so that folks know will a regular schedule and can plan to drop in when possible.

RNYE

Reaction score
I live in Lumberton and I would be interested in playing. The Gamers Armory is a great place. I was there Saturday and Scott has a great store. Lots and lots of war games, especially ASL stuff. He has an area set up for gaming. That would be a great place to meet.

Robbie

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chuck,

I'm from the Morganton/Drexel area, but down in Cary now. Not sure if there are many ASL players there, I'll check with my buddies back home. Charlotte has several and at one point a group was trying to meet up once a month on your side of Winston Salem.

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I live on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean but my father in law lives in Wilson about an hour from Raleigh. We don't get there often but once every couple of years. I'll bear you all in mind and post before the next visit.

Kihmbar

Reaction score
As already mentioned, there are many folks who play ASL in the Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill/Wake Forest area. If you are available next March, definitely come to the Bitter Ender tournament. You'll meet enough opponents there to keep you busy.

For face to face games, The Gamer's Armory is a great place to meet and play - lots of space and lots of scenario packs on the walls and shelves waiting to be played. Also, most of my opponents in the area have a designated game room/table and can play at home. There are advantages and disadvantages to both locations. I'll drop you a PM and we'll try to get together sometime.

jameycribbs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparty, I sent you a PM. I am also an ASL newbie. I'm working my way through the ASLSK #3 rulebook. I have only played one "teaching" game with Ed Fritz at the Gamer's Armory, so I am about as raw as you can get, but I would really like to start playing more ASL. The Gamer's Armory would be a great place to meet and I like Sparty's idea about maybe a weekly game night so everyone can plan. Sparty count me in for that.

Kihmbar

Reaction score
The Gamer's Armory would be a great place to meet and I like Sparty's idea about maybe a weekly game night so everyone can plan. Sparty count me in for that.
I know Scott (the owner of the Gamer's Armory) is working on a game schedule. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. I've never seen the tables all being used, so I'm sure there would be room if some players got together to play ASL. I'm also up for a game night at The Armory.

Talloaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott just posted on Facebook that he'll have a wargamer game day Aug 1st, 1pm-6pm. Unfortunately I will be out of town.

sparty

Gamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spoke to Scott yesterday and we had a great conversation. His love for the ASL/gaming community both in Raleigh and outside of it is very apparent in talking to him.

He was definitely open to a regular weeknight event for ASL at The Gamer's Armory. The only thing is that, out of respect, it'd have to be ended as close to 9pm as possible. This would limit the monster scenarios for the weekend events like the one on Aug. 1st.

I don't see it as a huge issue if people who were going could pick a scenario ahead of time and pick sides. The defender coming up with a potential initial setup wouldn't hurt either. A 4-6 turn scenario could probably get knocked out in 4 hours depending on the counter density. Given that this would be an opportunity to expose new players to the game, have a regular time to play, and to help drive some foot traffic into the store (which is awesome I might add) I think it's very do-able.

PM me if you're interested and let me know what days will work for you. I'll be getting in touch again with Scott and have sent out some e-mails to folks in the area that I've heard play ASL to gauge their interest as well. Let's make this a success!