My First AAR

Desticado

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi everyone.
I've just written my first AAR. Have tried to write it from the officers Journal perspective however not ever being in the miliatary i have no idea what that actually is... :D :D but at least im honest.

i've posted it on my blogg
where it looks MUCH better. I'll be greatful to receive any comments on what i should/shouldnt include and style.

thanks

Mark.

www.ReleaseTheGeek.net

Scenario S4 - Starter Kit #1

The American forces were spread quite thinly and scouts reported their MG’s were concentrated mainly to the southern woodline. With this in mind a couple of squads made best speed beyond the southern perimeter to the nearby buildings drawing their fire and attention. With the diversion underway the bulk of our forces stormed the Eastern MG nest from all flanks. Some good men were lost but we quickly despatched them all and turned their MMG back on the town to keep the yankees pinned back in the buildings.

With the eastern nest in our control the 77th stormed west to the northern buildings to secure the north of the town and provide covering fire for troops to move across the open spaces to the road checkpoints which were our objective. Again we faced some fierce firefights but swift movement by the 77th got them into defensive positions just before the Americans arrived at the buildings. This clinched the fight for us and we were able to chew up the American squads peacemeal as they had to cross the open ground under fire from their own captured MMG and on reaching the buildings were immediately coming under fire from our main force and MGs ready and waiting for them.

As the main force seized the controlling vantage point of the town 3 squads chased though the northen woods surprising the yankee flamethrower waiting to ambush us. We opened fire and immediately they turned and ran back through the woods. They were chased down for about five minutes before catching us by surprise, unexpectedly findin courage and turning to fight, however our accurate fire soon exploded the tanks of the flamethrower engulfing the operator and all of the enemy in flames…

As the operation came to a close our southern scouts could be seen storming into a building from all sides and routing the remaining resistance away from the town.

With all the roads now controlled by our valiant grenadiers the operation was declared a success, the town was ours, the roads were controlled and the bridge was now open for our forces.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Neat little idea of how to write an AAR. It works quite well. Puts a whole new perspecive on the game - like it really happened. LOL.

What I miss is the details of the game, though (things like the DR and game term references). But I guess you can't have it both ways.

Desticado

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks Honza. I might try to include a few more game terms next time.
Im trying to convey the mechanics whilst still keeping a tidy narative.
Hopefully the terms i use are such that its clear where close combat occured, units rallied etc.

This one was very brief, ideally i'll try to make them about 2-3 times as long so i can put in more details about leaders, exceptional roles (1,1 6,6) etc.

Desticado

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I've tried to take on board some of the suggestions people have made to me on and off these boards and am now working on my 2nd AAR. Its currently on my blog but will post it here in its entirety when its finished.

All comments greatfully recieved, hopefully its entertaining to read whilst makeing clear my tactics and what actually happened.

regards

www.ReleaseTheGeek.net