Map data

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The way maps are stored under-the-hood has been changed. Previously maps were simply strings of text that were split into map_strings and added to the scenario. They weren't really unique map rows, which meant that there could be duplicates with similar names, and it wasn't really feasible to do nicer things with them, like attach images to them, or work out which publications they were from.

This has changed now, and the data has been ported across to the new map objects. All that's missing is the publication->map data, ie, which publications have which maps!

For those that like to edit and update these things, it's now possible to enter the maps for each publication (by logging in and editing the publication page and adding the maps). If we can get a good set of this data we can do things like "show me scenarios that I own the maps for" and other module dependencies for scenarios. Note - the scenario map data is there, although I haven't updated the advanced search yet, nor the apis - that will come a bit later.

I've not done the same for overlays, because it seems a bit more of an overhead, but in theory it would be possible, but maybe a bit too much effort.

Finally - you can now hover over the map values within the scenarios and publication pages (if the maps have been added to them yet) to see a map preview. If the map image isn't there yet, it might need updating, but the standard ones should all work - I think!

If you can help out by sourcing the map data from which publication, that would be amazing. I'll run some reports in a week or so to see how we're doing, percentage wise. Thanks in advance if you can help (or get in touch if you're not sure what to do).

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Nicely done Dave. I appreciate this work.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a way to remove a map if the wrong one is selected or an accidental duplicate? I was updating SK1 and did not think z added, but now it’s on there twice.

Super appreciative of all your work, I love the idea of seeing what I could play with what I have already.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is there a way to remove a map if the wrong one is selected or an accidental duplicate? I was updating SK1 and did not think z added, but now it’s on there twice.

Super appreciative of all your work, I love the idea of seeing what I could play with what I have already.
You can do this now.

Thanks for your help. Getting a set of module dependencies for scenarios is a nice feature so the quicker we can get this map data in, the more useful it'll become.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Use the "pick new boards" function. It's in the menu of the soldier holding a grenade in the upper left corner.

Use the "clear" button and then set up the correct boards as if starting from scratch. Counters may or may not follow depending on which board they were on.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can do this now.

Thanks for your help. Getting a set of module dependencies for scenarios is a nice feature so the quicker we can get this map data in, the more useful it'll become.
You’re welcome, it is the least I could do to give back for how much I use/enjoy the site.

I’ve updated all of the MMP SK publications, so I’ll move on to the full ASL modules.

Edit: All of the core MMP modules (1-16) are complete as well as all the Action Packs and Journals.

@daveramsey - For TotR, 16b, 17b, and 19b are not yet options to add.

Also 12b for AP14, 13b for WO 2020, 14b for WO 2021, and 15b for AP16.

Last edited:

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everything on the MMP publication page is complete, with the exception of those items called out in my last post.

There is overlap between g-o for SK and DASL. S68 and AP204 both use o, as an example, but are meant to be different maps. The archive currently shows the SK version when it is hovered over, so the DASL maps may need a different naming convention (and the maps on the scenarios relinked). I know that is not insignificant, but food for thought.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Everything on the MMP publication page is complete, with the exception of those items called out in my last post.

There is overlap between g-o for SK and DASL. S68 and AP204 both use o, as an example, but are meant to be different maps. The archive currently shows the SK version when it is hovered over, so the DASL maps may need a different naming convention (and the maps on the scenarios relinked). I know that is not insignificant, but food for thought.
Amazing stuff, thank you Turuk! This is going to become a really useful feature for many people.

You're becoming the map man now so I can give you some additional responsibility!

You're right about the map naming. You now have admin rights for the map data (you, and other admins, should see a Map section in the administration page that you now have access to on the left hand menu). You are able to change the names (and image paths) of maps. The deluxe maps a-p(?) probably should have a dx or something after their name to signify the difference now that we have an overlap of deluxe map names with the starter kit boards. Someone needs to find the the scenarios with the naughty deluxe p and update them to the "p-dx" board name (which can be created in the map admin section before you do this). Probably renaming the other deluxe boards to something like <name>-dx - would be great too, to avoid this problem happening in the future.

I don't know if xxx-dx is the best way to identify them. Maybe "<letter> deluxe" is fine. Have a think and feel free to get the wisdom of the crowd on to this.

Meanwhile I'll get adding a couple of features to let people curate a map collection, which in turn will feed into the ability to filter scenarios by maps owned.

Thanks again though - this kind of effort is what makes the archive really useful, it's really appreciated.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad to help and lend a hand where I can!

The map man, now there’s a title! :LOL: I do like data manipulation and organization though, so I find the whole process enjoyable.

Thanks for the additional access! I will work on combing through the deluxe maps and renaming them to a consistent convention across the board to set a standard. I am impartial to a-dx or a-deluxe, though I do like the explicit nature of the latter, and will probably lean that way. As you said, I am open to the wisdom/desire of the masses, but it may be a minor detail.

I will dig into this tomorrow and work backwards through the alphabet to cover the overlapping maps first.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick update/ask - I have added in all the "new" deluxe maps under the naming convention <letter>-dx in keeping with how the maps show in the VASL boards folder. I am currently up to (back to?) 'h', but 'h' has 84 scenarios to update, so this will take a minute. 🤪

The ask part is that the deluxe p, q, and r maps are linked to their VASL image file, but they do not generate an image in the archive. Those .gifs may need to be pulled over. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "<letter>dx" scheme doesn't apply to all of the Deluxe boards; just the ones that overlap with the SK boards. Ditto for the "<letter>SK" scheme for the SK boards that overlap with Deluxe.

If this helps.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "<letter>dx" scheme doesn't apply to all of the Deluxe boards; just the ones that overlap with the SK boards. Ditto for the "<letter>SK" scheme for the SK boards that overlap with Deluxe.

If this helps.
Thank you Tuomo!

I saw that, though Dave has it configured that I can alter the display name of the map file separate from the file name. Once I have them all completed, I could set the non-overlapping files to show as <letter> but keep the <letter>-dx underneath.

I don’t want to confuse people who will be looking in VASL, though VASL does call out “b Deluxe” so it may wash out either way as b-dx would equate in their minds.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you Tuomo!

I saw that, though Dave has it configured that I can alter the display name of the map file separate from the file name. Once I have them all completed, I could set the non-overlapping files to show as <letter> but keep the <letter>-dx underneath.

I don’t want to confuse people who will be looking in VASL, though VASL does call out “b Deluxe” so it may wash out either way as b-dx would equate in their minds.
I noticed that the image for the WO 24 maps show the SK versions.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed that the image for the WO 24 maps show the SK versions.
I was not able to replicate this for p, q, and r as they all show no maps when hovered over. Using WO46 - Can Opener as an example, only m shows the map and the others are blank, but please let me know if I am missing something!

Edit: I see what you mean, disregard! I need to update the publication pages themselves. Thanks for that insight!

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was not able to replicate this for p, q, and r as they all show no maps when hovered over. Using WO46 - Can Opener as an example, only m shows the map and the others are blank, but please let me know if I am missing something!

View attachment 28562
I should have been clearer where I see this. It's on the WO 24 product page. 28566