Map data

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All of the deluxe scenarios with maps that overlapped with starter kit maps have now been updated, and I am working through the remainder to make them consistent in naming. (Perhaps 75 left?)

After that, I will move on to assigning maps to TP publications and ensuring the image link matches VASL. I'll start with those active on here (BFP, LCP, etc.) first.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Glad I could be of assistance, and thank you for the fine job you are doing. There are a lot of scenarios in the Archive.
Do you know if we have a timeline for 16a/b-19a/b (TotR), and the Deluxe maps from BP2024?

Last edited:

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad I could be of assistance, and thank you for the fine job you are doing. There are a lot of scenarios in the Archive.
Do you know if we have a timeline for 16a/b-19a/b (TotR), and the Deluxe maps from BP2024?
I know the p,q, and r Deluxe maps are in VASL, so once @daveramsey has time to pull in/over/work his magic on where the Archive looks for the map images, those should update. For the TotR boards, that may be waiting on them to show up in VASL.

TotR and the BP do have all of the maps assigned to their scenarios in the Archive though, so it should be just pending the images.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DASL remapping (ha!) is complete.

BFP is complete. The map image names have been updated, and the maps have been tied to their publications. The only missing map image was the Operation Neptune map. @daveramsey This is in VASL as ON, but when I updated the path, it didn't show an image.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great stuff - thanks! I've sorted the neptune map.

I don't see the 16a/b-19a/b maps in the vasl github. I'm obviously missing something obvious, but can someone point me in the right direction with these?

Appreciate the help with these, I love it when someone becomes the expert and I can watch them do a great job! Cheers for this. Turuk, if you set your email on the archive I can enable you to view the unit graphics as a thank you for your efforts.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great stuff - thanks! I've sorted the neptune map.
Thank you!

Appreciate the help with these, I love it when someone becomes the expert and I can watch them do a great job! Cheers for this. Turuk, if you set your email on the archive I can enable you to view the unit graphics as a thank you for your efforts.
It’s been great to learn, it’s definitely expanding my publisher knowledge. This is very kind of you, thank you Dave! It has been updated.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Map dependencies on the scenario page are now available, as is an advanced search option to specify the number of map boards (along with a greater than/less than/equal modifier) along with specifying whether to only include geo boards in the count calculation.

This has meant I've needed to try to identify all the geo boards which were set via a regular expression - hopefully I've got them all, but if not, there's an admin option to specify whether a board is a geo board or not.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Thanks once again Dave, for your continued improvement to the ASL Scenario Archive.
Just a note, can we get the graphics for the Russian LANO AT (44.1) and LANO AA (44.2) counters added?
Used in Last Train to Leningrad (290) TotR.
Thanks in advance.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks once again Dave, for your continued improvement to the ASL Scenario Archive.
Just a note, can we get the graphics for the Russian LANO AT (44.1) and LANO AA (44.2) counters added?
Used in Last Train to Leningrad (290) TotR.
Thanks in advance.
Are they in 6.6.8? I had a brief look and didn't see them (I could be wrong)

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Map dependencies on the scenario page are now available, as is an advanced search option to specify the number of map boards (along with a greater than/less than/equal modifier) along with specifying whether to only include geo boards in the count calculation.

This has meant I've needed to try to identify all the geo boards which were set via a regular expression - hopefully I've got them all, but if not, there's an admin option to specify whether a board is a geo board or not.
Amazing work, thanks Dave! I am back from vacation soon and will be back on assigning boards to publications.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There may be a way to do this, but is it possible to run an advanced search that takes what you have marked in your collection, compares those maps to scenarios, and shows what you "could" play? (Emphasis on could as you may still need relevant OOB pieces).

I know I can search by scenarios featuring certain map(s), but a search by what maps you own might encourage people to play and/or purchase other publications.

EDIT: @daveramsey I am updating the HoB Firefights maps and attempted to add FF2, but it did not show in the map drop down list. Also, there are VASL boards for these but when I update the image path, the images are not available.

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There may be a way to do this, but is it possible to run an advanced search that takes what you have marked in your collection, compares those maps to scenarios, and shows what you "could" play? (Emphasis on could as you may still need relevant OOB pieces).
Yes - this was the original plan and the reason for this change! But it's not quite ready yet (There has to be a way to set the maps owned automatically and manually to allow for people who have purchased maps separately from the publications)

EDIT: @daveramsey I am updating the HoB Firefights maps and attempted to add FF2, but it did not show in the map drop down list. Also, there are VASL boards for these but when I update the image path, the images are not available.
If the maps aren't there you're welcome to add them on the map admin screen that you have available to you. FF2 is ff02.gif - I'll send you a pm with all of the filenames to help out.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes - this was the original plan and the reason for this change! But it's not quite ready yet (There has to be a way to set the maps owned automatically and manually to allow for people who have purchased maps separately from the publications
Excellent, I love this idea!

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Turuk,
In the Archive the SK series maps g, h, are displaying as g, h, Deluxe.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turuk,
In the Archive the SK series maps g, h, are displaying as g, h, Deluxe.
Thank you Hutch! I have removed the images for those until they are added in VASL and updated I-L to have the proper SK maps.

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heat of Battle and Advancing Fire publications are complete now as well.

I did notice that some of the scenarios do not have paired maps, but that is beyond my knowledge (or really, ownership :LOL:). If someone does, it would be great to have them updated!

Turuk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LCP is updated. I could not find matching VASL maps to tie to the images (Plough Factory HASL under Barbarossa, for one), but this set also had the oddest naming conventions from maps to VASL. Operation Martlet HASL map is FLP in VASL, which I luckily happened to click on for something else and saw the label.

I may be missing something on the naming convention for VASL maps? I do not use it enough to know the intricacies.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Heat of Battle and Advancing Fire publications are complete now as well.

I did notice that some of the scenarios do not have paired maps, but that is beyond my knowledge (or really, ownership :LOL:). If someone does, it would be great to have them updated!
Not sure what you mean here by paired maps - can you give an example?
I could not find matching VASL maps to tie to the images (Plough Factory HASL under Barbarossa, for one),
If anyone has the map images for this, or any of the others that aren't immediately obviously within vasl, let me know and I'll get them uploaded.

Thanks Turuk for your continued work on this!