Large Hadron Collider Doing Its Thing

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
The LHC is deep into real physics runs at the European Atomic Energy Agency (CERN). You can follow the progress here:

https://op-webtools.web.cern.ch/op-webtools/vistar/vistars.php

Hey, I don't pretend to understand more than a fraction of what they're doing. but it's interesting anyway. They're working right on the cutting edge of particle physics, and no matter what they find, or don't find, it's important.

During the first physics runs at low power, they nailed down the existence of the Higgs Boson, sometimes pretentiously called the "God Particle." They're looking for Supersymmetry, the multiverse, and other evidence for string theory. So far no joy.

We live in great times for both theoretical and experimental physics. If you're into this stuff it's like all the sports playoffs at the same time.

However, if you are not personally wowed by it, there's always Lebron.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There's a good documentary on Netflix called "Particle Dreams", all about the search for the Higgs boson and what it's mass was going to be. Apparently different values of the mass would imply either that Supersymmetry is true, or we exist on one universe of the multiverse and constant values are largely random.

(Spoiler - the observed mass was right in the middle, so here we are)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to be real pissed if they open a black hole and destroy the Earth. That's where I keep all my stuff!

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A lady I work with has a brother who is a physicist at Cern. She was there visiting her brother when they announced the Higgs Boson so it was interesting to hear some of the "insider view" of what came out in the papers about it from her.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
There's a good documentary on Netflix called "Particle Dreams", all about the search for the Higgs boson and what it's mass was going to be. Apparently different values of the mass would imply either that Supersymmetry is true, or we exist on one universe of the multiverse and constant values are largely random.

(Spoiler - the observed mass was right in the middle, so here we are)
So I called up this documentary and realized that - I had seen it before! But you're right. It's a good show.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did some work two doors down from the lead engineer in Weaton Il. I went over to talk to him but he wasn't home.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A lady I work with has a brother who is a physicist at Cern. She was there visiting her brother when they announced the Higgs Boson so it was interesting to hear some of the "insider view" of what came out in the papers about it from her.
Any good stories you can pass along?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any good stories you can pass along?
Mostly additional details about what was coming out of the papers. Not being a scientific guy, it mostly went over my head other than thinking the topic was pretty interesting. Knowing your background, I sure I can ask Kathleen (lady at work) if she could contact her brother and see if wouldn't mind spending a few minutes with you on the phone.

PM if you are interested and I can at least ask the question. Our kids go to school together and at one time she used to work for me, so not a real big ask on my part. Let me know and see what I can do.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
My nephew is a physicist and is on his way over there. Good stuff.

However, I told him not to open any dimensional portals without giving me some warning.

[video=youtube;CRnadHP5JOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnadHP5JOo[/video]

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mostly additional details about what was coming out of the papers. Not being a scientific guy, it mostly went over my head other than thinking the topic was pretty interesting. Knowing your background, I sure I can ask Kathleen (lady at work) if she could contact her brother and see if wouldn't mind spending a few minutes with you on the phone.

PM if you are interested and I can at least ask the question. Our kids go to school together and at one time she used to work for me, so not a real big ask on my part. Let me know and see what I can do.
I do appreciate the thought, but I have to admit that the cutting edge of particle physics goes way over my head too. I would be happy to make a friend sit down and explain the details but I'd feel pretty self-conscious asking for explanations from a stranger.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, it's easy. A couple of particles smash each other into smaller particles and it all adds up to zero.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh, it's easy. A couple of particles smash each other into smaller particles and it all adds up to zero.
You never get an explanation like that when it would have been useful, like before the exam in Quantum Mechanics class.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Basically, if you say you understand Quantum Mechanics, you're lying.
It's weird science all right. We can do the math and make microprocessors, but I figure understanding it is like dogs trying to understand Shakespeare - our brains are just not designed for it.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's probably more akin to attempting to explain the color red to a blind man. He knows there is such a thing and that colors actually do exist, but he simply lacks a frame of reference that will allow him to truly comprehend what all that means, save in the most rudimentary fashion.

Our brains are designed to think in three dimensions, and we probably live in a universe with many dimensions, making it extremely difficult to make the leap of logic necessary to piece together things that are happening around us which we cannot see. And if we aren't even aware of these things, then we're not accounting for them or even looking for them in the first place. Computers might be able to help us, eventually. But even there we're somewhat hamstrung because we design the programs, thus saddling computers with the same limitations as the human brain in terms of concept.

So progress is, shall we say, painfully slow.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
It's probably more akin to attempting to explain the color red to a blind man. He knows there is such a thing and that colors actually do exist, but he simply lacks a frame of reference that will allow him to truly comprehend what all that means, save in the most rudimentary fashion.

Our brains are designed to think in three dimensions, and we probably live in a universe with many dimensions, making it extremely difficult to make the leap of logic necessary to piece together things that are happening around us which we cannot see. And if we aren't even aware of these things, then we're not accounting for them or even looking for them in the first place. Computers might be able to help us, eventually. But even there we're somewhat hamstrung because we design the programs, thus saddling computers with the same limitations as the human brain in terms of concept.

So progress is, shall we say, painfully slow.
The fact that the human mind can't make sense of quantum theory is considered by many physicists to be a fundamental flaw requiring a better theory.

RP Feynman once did a lecture series on quantum electrodynamics for a lay audience. He told them that he was going to teach them what it took three years for his graduate students to learn, but without the complicated mathematics. He said, "And you think you're going to understand it? Of course you're not going to understand it. But don't feel too bad, because they don't understand it. But that's not a problem because their professor doesn't understand it either."

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The fact that the human mind can't make sense of quantum theory is considered by many physicists to be a fundamental flaw requiring a better theory.

RP Feynman once did a lecture series on quantum electrodynamics for a lay audience. He told them that he was going to teach them what it took three years for his graduate students to learn, but without the complicated mathematics. He said, "And you think you're going to understand it? Of course you're not going to understand it. But don't feel too bad, because they don't understand it. But that's not a problem because their professor doesn't understand it either."
I don't think incomprehensibility is a problem.
If you can make testable predictions, and the experimental results match the predictions, then the theory is good.
The real problem is that it appears so far to be incompatible with the theory of gravity, and may violate causality as we understand it. But the fact that we can get so much amazing and successful science out of it means we can't just chuck it out either.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
He didn't say chuck it out, he said we need a better theory.
Yes, quantum mechanics has become somewhat depressing to a lot of physicists.

Incidentally, the LHC has been shut down for several days and I can't figure out why. I hope they're not having some sort of problem.