"Known enemy Units" not yet come on

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to confirm what units you had already brought on ....you could "mistakenly" add more units than was needed...and UNNECESSARILY slow that Troll game down.
I could ‘mistakenly’ do anything, maybe you mean ‘cheat’. I’m interested in this ‘Troll game’, how does it work ?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Anything (not too complicated) that adds fog of war to this crazy game is fine by me. We already have waaaaay too much knowledge of the enemie’s OB.
The scenarios with variable OBs are fun for exactly that reason, especially if the opponent doesn't know which OB the other has.

Although as Bob correctly points out the fog should not be due to overly complex or burdensome SSRs.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenarios with variable OBs are fun for exactly that reason, especially if the opponent doesn't know which OB the other has.

Although as Bob correctly points out the fog should not be due to overly complex or burdensome SSRs.
And that is one reason I love HASLs--you don't know what's going to hit you til it does (and vice versa).
Then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to confirm what units you had already brought on ....you could "mistakenly" add more units than was needed...and UNNECESSARILY slow that Troll game down.
Yeah.

And if you make a habit of that you'll find yourself without anyone to play with.

Last edited:

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IF you don't bring on all of your OB given units on Turn 1.
Can you conceal the units that haven't come on from your opponent?

If you were doing this FtF, The opponent can simply look at the OB card.
You have no rule saying you can Conceal units they aren't in the game, as the RULES do not apply to units NOT in the game.
I don't know if you are talking about SK or full ASL, as you play SK. If the former, then there is no concealment until you come to SK4 the Pacific Theater, where it is integral to the game of PTO and available by SSR for non-PTO. In full ASL a player can always set up his units concealed providing they are not in his opponents line-of-site.

As for before they are on the board--I always put a concealment counter over my pieces to make sure their secret is kept. I have also used dummy stacks--nothing against the spirit of the rules. With regards to SKs 1-3--their scenarios were designed without concealment, so one can extend the courtesy to their opponent and not mess with his units.

As for counting counters--really? Not a big deal, and to tell the truth, the only way I could tell if one stack had five and the other six was by the fact one had one more unit in it. And should the counters enter unconcealed in line-of-site, it is fairly obvious which counters did not enter.

I don't think there is right of inspection, concealed or not, for units not in line-of-site.

Last edited:

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Units you place on the scenario card?
I must be among the .0000002 %.☹

I think for the most part I didn't pull them until needed. Lazy or efficient? Why bother when Fish was most likely to have kicked my ass before the units were required?
I do it when I am initially selecting my force.

But then I remove them and put them in front of the board so I can play.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I do it when I am initially selecting my force.

But then I remove them and put them in front of the board so I can play.
One of the advantages of playing the same scenario again after you just finished is the pieces are mostly pulled. We really were a couple lazy jicks. Saves time though. 😉

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the advantages of playing the same scenario again after you just finished is the pieces are mostly pulled. We really were a couple lazy jicks. Saves time though. 😉
But aren't you afraid it will become, uh, BORING!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Never!! I tried to mix it up so as to not become platitudinous. 😉🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😊
Fish mentioned this trait of mixing it up in the Guryev's Headquarters series replay. He said that I would seldom use the same plan twice even if previously successful.

There were two reasons for this:

Trying to expose Fish to as many situations or styles of play as possible that he might encounter at tournaments.

I forgot the successful plan.🤔🙄

The latter is probably more likely. 🙄

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fish mentioned this trait of mixing it up in the Guryev's Headquarters series replay. He said that I would seldom use the same plan twice even if previously successful.

There were two reasons for this:

Trying to expose Fish to as many situations or styles of play as possible that he might encounter at tournaments.

I forgot the successful plan.🤔🙄

The latter is probably more likely. 🙄
For me, twice is generally going to the well too many times!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't think there is right of inspection, concealed or not, for units not in line-of-site.
I'm not sure what you are answering.
I'm not concerned with the units that are in play and are subject to the written rule.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Bendezoid...Do you have any ACTUAL comments related to the subject?
Or do you just troll EVERY thread?

You must have descended from Partisans, attempting to Derail any conversation.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
While a player does not have right of inspection to peel the lid of an off-board stack, four stacks of counters four-high tells me that the entering player has 12 units/weapons/etc. under those ? counters. Klas said he doesn't count but some players do. I don't see where that violates the letter or the spirit of the rule.
The topic of conversation has nothing to do with units setup to enter this turn or units onboard.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm not concerned with the units that are in play and are subject to the written rule.
Pieces not in play are also subject to the written rule. That's why we have rules concerning entry and off-board movement. If they weren't subject to the rules, why even pay attention to entry and setup areas? There would be no need to concern yourself with what I brought on as there would be no way to know what I might dump out of the kit. This is a really strange argument to make.

Are you sure ASL is the game for you? You sure seem unhappy about a lot of rules. -- jim

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Counters/pieces that have not entered the scenario yet - I've never seen any rule stipulating that one must place them on e.g., the scenario card (I could have missed it of course, but I don't think so).

So to me it sure looks like whether the opponent gets to see/know what has yet to enter is a personal opinion - I don't see much rules basis one way or other. Again, I could be missing somehting, and as always, ymmv.