J159 Tropic Lightning - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
J159 Tropic Lightning - AAR

My third playing of this excellent scenario. One of my undisputed all-time favorites. This time, I was the Japanese.

This game went fast because Lady Luck was surely caressing me.

In the initial US movement, one American stack was whacked by a HIP Japanese 347 to which it moved ADJACENT, breaking all 3 squads and wounding the accompanying 9-1 with FT. This stack had to rout into a Location that already contained 2 other US squads ending up overstacked. Subsequently, this Japanese squad was pinned and killed in CC. The US tanks ran into the HIP Japanese ATG. Despite 4 hits, the ATG could not quite destroy the ADJACENT Sherman, but managed to Shock and Immobilize it, ending up acquired by no less than four Stuarts which boded evil for the near future.

The first Japanese Turn was devastating to the US beyond all expectations.

My first Prep Fire shot was taken by the RMG of one of the Dug-In tanks vs. the overstacked stack consisting of 5 US squads (3 of them broken) with all sorts of SW and a Wounded 9-1 leader holding the FT. The LOS turned out to be unhindered into the Jungle hex, I rolled a 3, and unmitigated disaster struck the GIs: The Wounded 9-1 died and all what was left after RS, LLMC, CR, and endless failed MCs was a Pinned HS, 1 broken squad & 2 broken HS surrounded by littered SW. [Gulp!]

I did not dare to bring on the Japanese tanks yet, because too many US tanks were in position to harm them. However, my ATG was finally able to finish off the ADJACENT Sherman (at long last altogether on the 6th shot to the flank).

Then came the hour (or rather the last minute) of five men ready to make the ultimate sacrifice for the Emperor: The first HIP THH Banzai'ed and survived the fire of a US squad an no less than 4 US tanks during its approach before it slammed his ATMM on the side of the first Stuart which was destroyed. As, surprisingly, this THH had attracted an unforseen amount of fire, the second HIP THH sprang forward. He forgot to bring an ATMM but killed the second Stuart nevertheless. Encouraged, the third HIP THH took a heart to attack the third Stuart, but all that he killed was himself. A 4th HIP THH Banzai'ed a looong way to the 3rd Stuart that had now exhausted its fire, did not find an ATMM but still killed the tank. Then some halfsquads tried to create yet another THH, one of which successfully. This THH attacked the 4th Stuart with an ATMM and destroyed it.

With only one Sherman and one Stuart left of the powerful US tank force, my ATG freed of impending doom and instead ready to engage the survivors, plus the prospect of a Japanese armored superiority from turn 2 onwards, the Americans conceded.

von Marwitz

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the initial US movement, one American stack was whacked by a HIP Japanese 347 to which it moved ADJACENT, breaking all 3 squads and wounding the accompanying 9-1 with FT.
Did I hear someone say, don't stack? And with a FT no less, that's just begging for it.