Is it 41W1 or 41W10 a Stream or Open Ground?

Sheridan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello,

First, sorry for my English.

My question is about the subject and rules written in B20.1

"20.1 A stream is a gully containing a small rivulet. A hex such as 13P4
containing a thin meandering blue line enclosed in a layered white,
brown, and dark green background which extends through two hexsides
of the hex is a stream hex. 13G4 and 16 are not stream hexes because the
stream symbol crosses only one hexside therein. Non-stream remnants
such as those in 2210 and XlO do not block or impede Bypass movement
of the JO-Kl hexside."

... then I should think that 41W1 and 41W10 are Open Ground Hexes at level 0, because only one hexside is crossed by stream...

But, in Perry Sez Q&A ...

"A2.6 & A2.76
Given a scenario with only board 41 in play, are hexes W1 & W10 stream hexes due to A2.6?
A. Moving to off the board from stream hex W1 (or W10) to the imaginary mirror image stream hex would be crossing a stream
hexside at the same level -1. (A2.76)."

So, I have a doubt about this... is 41W1/W10 Stream hex (level -1), or is a Open Ground (level 0).

Thank You and Cheers from Canary Islands....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
This question comes up rather frequently.
Those who draw the mapboards wrong should be more aware of the rule definition of what is a stream hex.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those who draw the mapboards wrong should be more aware of the rule definition of what is a stream hex.
I agree with every word except "more". Klas is right, common sense should prevail, and while it'd be nice if every Stream hex were 100% compliant with the definition of Stream hexes, the alternative (where someone tries to convince me that a hex with Stream artwork is not actually a Stream) is just ludicrous. IMO.

Sheridan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks to all for your help. I'm make a note, and I'll use common sense in this cuestion. :).

O7 from Canary Islands..

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I agree with every word except "more". Klas is right, common sense should prevail, and while it'd be nice if every Stream hex were 100% compliant with the definition of Stream hexes, the alternative (where someone tries to convince me that a hex with Stream artwork is not actually a Stream) is just ludicrous. IMO.
Common sense doesn't always work in ASL.
We need boards 100% compliant with the rules.
Or the rules could be amended so that Streams work like Gullies - and the rules were written relating to the "rivulets" linking the stream to marsh on Board 13, so a slight change would really help.
When a problem is regularily adressed for many years, it is a real one, that cannot be waved away by a call to common sense.