Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Question for the moderators:

Are infractions still meted out in the ASL forums?

If so, what are they given out for?

Just curious what the current policy is on these.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question for the moderators:

Are infractions still meted out in the ASL forums?

If so, what are they given out for?

Just curious what the current policy is on these.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing...like when people use the term moronic and stupid to refer to other members...like this post:
Post #18

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yeah I was wondering the same thing...like when people use the term moronic and stupid to refer to other members...like this post:
As would be clear to anyone with the intelligence to switch a computer on, those comments were directed at another members words, not the member himself. I can't imagine anyone not being able to "grok" that.

In fact, this very post of yours is another splendid example of an offensively stupid, over the top moronic waste of time of which I would "gleefully" put someone on ignore over. It's trolling, purely and simply.

But I'm sincerely sorry your feelings were hurt. I had no idea you were so sensitive. This is a side of you we so rarely see. Must be the tryptophan.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80242

Okay, I guess I'll come out and ask it - why are threads simply being locked when disruptive posters derail them, instead of the offenders being given warnings?

It doesn't seem like an optimal use of the tools available to the moderators - and I echo Chris Drake's comments - why are personal attacks being allowed to overshadow otherwise useful conversations?

Either way, has there been a policy change on what the infraction system is for or what it is meant to accomplish? I wonder if Tom has been fully briefed on how it works - I think it might be a more elegant way of doing things, that has been proven to work in the past, than simply slamming the door shut on everyone.

I also thought this thread was shut down prematurely:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80043

I tried to discuss it privately with Tom but never received a reply.

So I guess if Tate and Ol' Fez object to any topic being discussed, or the way it is being discussed, they now know they have the power to simply shut the topic down, and exactly how to do it.

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I guess if Tate and Ol' Fez object to any topic being discussed, or the way it is being discussed, they now know they have the power to simply shut the topic down, and exactly how to do it.
Oh yeah, it is always the other guys fault. I got news for you Saint MD, you are as much a problem as you think everyone else is.

In fact this post and your reference to myself and Fezz would be classified as a personal attack...but I doubt you will see any infractions for it.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As would be clear to anyone with the intelligence to switch a computer on, those comments were directed at another members words, not the member himself. I can't imagine anyone not being able to "grok" that.
I "grok" that you dodge and parse the words but the intent is obvious.

But I'm sincerely sorry your feelings were hurt. I had no idea you were so sensitive. This is a side of you we so rarely see. Must be the tryptophan.
Ah, another personal attack...but don't worry, I won't be running to tattle like you do. :laugh:

And here I thought I was going to be the personal "mortal enemy"you have always longed for...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80242

Okay, I guess I'll come out and ask it - why are threads simply being locked when disruptive posters derail them, instead of the offenders being given warnings?

It doesn't seem like an optimal use of the tools available to the moderators - and I echo Chris Drake's comments - why are personal attacks being allowed to overshadow otherwise useful conversations?

Either way, has there been a policy change on what the infraction system is for or what it is meant to accomplish? I wonder if Tom has been fully briefed on how it works - I think it might be a more elegant way of doing things, that has been proven to work in the past, than simply slamming the door shut on everyone.

I also thought this thread was shut down prematurely:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80043

I tried to discuss it privately with Tom but never received a reply.

The only communication I recieved from you was a User Message on my Profile Page. I replied to that posting on the same venue. I recieved no additional private communication from you. Evidently, my reply did not live up to your standards, as you did not reply other than going public.

I suppose that possibly the latest thread was shut down a mite too quickly. I am after all only human. It was a knee-jerk reaction when the "conversation" degenerated to a series of one-two simple sentence insults being thrown by both sides. Mea culpa. Judging from the relative numbers of positive/negative feedback I have recieved, it was an action that was welcomed by more people than were disappointed.

It seems that you have issues with my moderation. I encourage you to take these issues up with the management of the Forums.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The only communication I recieved from you was a User Message on my Profile Page. I replied to that posting on the same venue. I recieved no additional private communication from you. Evidently, my reply did not live up to your standards, as you did not reply other than going public.
You can check my profile page, Tom - there's no reply there. Honest. I can't delete, either, as we don't have the option of a hard delete. So I'm not sure where your response went - you may need to report a bug to Don.

I suppose that possibly the latest thread was shut down a mite too quickly. I am after all only human. It was a knee-jerk reaction when the "conversation" degenerated to a series of one-two simple sentence insults being thrown by both sides. Mea culpa. Judging from the relative numbers of positive/negative feedback I have recieved, it was an action that was welcomed by more people than were disappointed.
I recognized that you're human the first time you shut a thread down and so I forgot about it. I put in a Report Post and moved on. This is the second time a thread has locked up though. I'm not trying to be critical - just suggesting that perhaps your job would be made easier if you made use of the warning system instead of punishing everyone by shutting it down - not to mention we posters would be made more aware of where their lines were, and when they were crossed. Again, I would have been willing to discuss it privately, but I've never received a response from a REPORT POST function in the past, so I get the feeling a public discussion would have been more satisfying. And it has - I appreciate the response - and honestly I think these things are good for everyone to see, as everyone here has a stake in this and should have their opinions heard, too.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Tom did not punish me by shutting down the thread...
I considered it an atta-boy award!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Tom did not punish me by shutting down the thread...
I considered it an atta-boy award!
An award for who? Not those of us who still wanted to discuss the sale.

The MMP thread was still constructive, despite the sidetrack. kcole had even given me positive rep for a useful discussion there earlier on.

If you didn't find anything useful in it, that's unfortunate Steve. I find your remarks here unfortunate as well.

Anyway, neither here nor there. The threads are closed, life goes on. I just think that it is very empowering for certain individuals to know that they can close threads down whenever they want by simply being verbally abusive to other posters.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I did the same for Portal.
We were engaged in a civilized, interesting debate rather than a disagreement, like that which ensued later.
I thought the locking was appropriate at the time, since the downhill slide was well under way.

I do hope we're not seeing a beginning of a trend of nastiness such as we saw during the 'great ghetto war' of last year.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only communication I recieved from you was a User Message on my Profile Page. I replied to that posting on the same venue. I recieved no additional private communication from you.
You can check my profile page, Tom - there's no reply there. Honest. I can't delete, either, as we don't have the option of a hard delete. So I'm not sure where your response went - you may need to report a bug to Don.
Michael (and anyone else who hasn't already discovered it the hard way),

Messages on the profile page don't work that way. When you Reply to a message on your profile page, the answer goes on your profile page. The reply Jazz sent is visible on his profile page; I just checked.

And the idiocy of it is, because the reply goes on your profile page, the guy you are replying to doesn't get a notification that you replied! The only way he can find this out is by coming back to your profile page as often as it takes to see if there's a reply.

Personally, I tried it once with KhandidGamera and then gave it up as useless.

John

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...Anyway, neither here nor there. The threads are closed, life goes on. I just think that it is very empowering for certain individuals to know that they can close threads down whenever they want by simply being verbally abusive to other posters.
And I quote,
For the love of God, STFU already
. Now, I'm not sure about mothers up in Canucklestan, but my mother would frown on that sort of comment in polite conversation.

In your efforts to be the "Unofficial Moderator" or "Moral CompASS" of this forum, you are an abject failure. And a flaming hypocrite.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
And yet he was spot on with that comment Fez. Taking it out of context, it doesn't sound like an attempt to restore order, but that's exactly what it was.

So, how long til this thread is locked?

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And yet he was spot on with that comment Fez. Taking it out of context, it doesn't sound like an attempt to restore order, but that's exactly what it was.

So, how long til this thread is locked?

Really? telling someone to "shut the **** up" is 'spot on'? Oh, wait, you can't see that word can you? Because it's considered inappropriate for this forum, AND, by the by, cloaking your use of inappropriate language with symbols or acronyms is also considered against forum rules, which a certain holier-than-thou forum member knows, despite liking to throw the forum rules in the rest of us mere commoner's faces when it so suits him.

In order to "restore order" one needs to have some sort of moral standing, which I find Michael, of late, to be severely lacking.