Heat of Battle - Battle Hardening

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I'm not 100% sure when Heat of Battle gets triggered for MMC/HS/SMC. Let me see if I got it right according to the A15.0 rule: "...Heat of Battle DR which follows any Original MC or Rally (not Self-Rally) DR of 2"

So HOT can only be triggered if:

1) I'm trying to rally a broken MMC/HS with a good order SMC. If I roll DR of 2 then Heat of Battle is triggered. (HOB doesn't get triggered if SMC Self-Rally or 1 MMC self-rally is used)

2) If stack if units in a hex is going through original MC check and I roll DR of 2 on a unit HOB gets triggered. (HOB doesn't get triggered with IFT result of 1MC, 2MC, 3MC and 4MC)

Does HOB gets triggerred for MMC/HS/SMC posessing a SW ?

Is that correct ?, I'm not exactly sure what is "Original MC"...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'm not 100% sure when Heat of Battle gets triggered for MMC/HS/SMC. Let me see if I got it right according to the A15.0 rule: "...Heat of Battle DR which follows any Original MC or Rally (not Self-Rally) DR of 2"

So HOT can only be triggered if:

1) I'm trying to rally a broken MMC/HS with a good order SMC. If I roll DR of 2 then Heat of Battle is triggered. (HOB doesn't get triggered if SMC Self-Rally or 1 MMC self-rally is used)
Correct, although it you are trying to rally another SMC with the help of a GO SMC (i.e. not self-rally) then it also applies.

2) If stack if units in a hex is going through original MC check and I roll DR of 2 on a unit HOB gets triggered. (HOB doesn't get triggered with IFT result of 1MC, 2MC, 3MC and 4MC)
HOB is triggerd on all MCs. The word "Original" in the rules text refers to the Dice Roll - not the MC. A 2MC is still a MC.

Does HOB gets triggerred for MMC/HS/SMC posessing a SW
?
If otherwise applicable, yes.

As stated above the it is "Original DR" - not "Original MC".

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and don't forget to check A15.1 for which units are immune to HoB--crews, Cavalry, PRC and Heroes are immune, for example; there are several actions that a unit could be engaged in, too, which makes HoB n/a.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Original MC means the Original roll for a Morale Check.

So if the unit is eligible for HOB, it will be triggered for things like:

1,1 on a NMC
1,1 on a 1MC

It will not be triggered for things like:

1,1 on a PTC
1,1 on a NTC
1,1 on the IFT

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Could be triggered by a 1,1 on an IFT if that was a FPF shot since the roll is also an MC for the firer.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could be triggered by a 1,1 on an IFT if that was a FPF shot since the roll is also an MC for the firer.
I had that very thing happen im a game a couple days ago. Russian conscript does FPF vs some Germans moving in open. Takes out the Germans and BATTLE HARDENS (instead of the usual Berserk).

Seth

FrankH.

Reaction score
Ugh!

I think I have played this wrong. It is too easy to get "not self Rally" mixed up with "any Rally Attempt other than the MMC Self Rally attempt" and have leader get HOB more than should be. And when this misinterpretation happens it would be particularly unfair to Russians whose leaders tend to go Berserk (at a net +2 HOB DRM) and tend to take a stack of MMC with them, and to the Italians and Axis Minors.

Frank

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think I have played this wrong. It is too easy to get "not self Rally" mixed up with "any Rally Attempt other than the MMC Self Rally attempt" and have leader get HOB more than should be. And when this misinterpretation happens it would be particularly unfair to Russians whose leaders tend to go Berserk (at a net +2 HOB DRM) and tend to take a stack of MMC with them, and to the Italians and Axis Minors.

Frank
I think a lot of folks get this wrong. The knee-jerk reaction is "HOB!!!" when they see snake eyes on any Rally attempt....and consequently assume the leader trying to self rally gets to roll for HOB. The leader would just rally, unless of course it was a 6+1 leader under DM (+4+1=+5 DRM for a final DR of 7)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not quite on topic here but with a 1,1 on a CC roll byan attack using multiple MMCs (e.g. my 3 squads jump your guy and roll 1,1) how many leaders are generated? If the multiple units have dfferent morale it is important to decide who has generated the leader. Do you use random selection or do they all generate leaders?

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not quite on topic here but with a 1,1 on a CC roll byan attack using multiple MMCs (e.g. my 3 squads jump your guy and roll 1,1) how many leaders are generated? If the multiple units have dfferent morale it is important to decide who has generated the leader. Do you use random selection or do they all generate leaders?
A18.12 says:

"Anytime a MMC attacking in CC rolls an Original 2 DR,......"

Would take this to mean only a single MMC and thus RS to determine where the leader comes from.

:ciao:

Last edited:

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A18.12 says:

"Anytime a MMC attacking in CC rolls an Original 2 DR,......"

Would take this to mean only a single MMC and thus RS to determine where the leader comes from.

On the right track but not quite right :)

See A18.2, it is the MMC with the highest BPV

Cheers
Jon

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Only one MMC creates the leader, that with the highest BPV, see A18.2

Cheers
Jon

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
On the right track but not quite right :)

See A18.2, it is the MMC with the highest BPV

Cheers
Jon
Damn you Jon, didn't you read my reason for editing??? :p I can't read two rules sections right ATM, hic. :drink: :kotz:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. A further question, what if you have 2 units with equal BPV but perhaps allied, do youthen use random selection. (I know it's rather odd that this could happen).

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the reply. A further question, what if you have 2 units with equal BPV but perhaps allied, do youthen use random selection. (I know it's rather odd that this could happen).
Yup, A18.2, hey Jon????:clown:
It would be pretty rare as normally in allied sides, one is superior to the other in BPV but I guess it could happen in my lifetime :)

But to answer, if BPV are equal, l think you would use RS, with the exception that if a tie, you would need to reroll, as everything in A18.12 and A18.2 seems to indicate that only one leader can be created per CC attack.
Note the wording of A18.2 is use RS to determine which MMC the leader defends with.

Cheers
Jon

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think a lot of folks get this wrong. The knee-jerk reaction is "HOB!!!" when they see snake eyes on any Rally attempt....and consequently assume the leader trying to self rally gets to roll for HOB. The leader would just rally, unless of course it was a 6+1 leader under DM (+4+1=+5 DRM for a final DR of 7)
Jazz, are we sure about that extra +1 (which I am assuming is coming from the leader itself)?

Leadership DRM does not apply to the unit possessing said DRM, no?

=Jim=

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Jazz, are we sure about that extra +1 (which I am assuming is coming from the leader itself)?

Leadership DRM does not apply to the unit possessing said DRM, no?
+1 for Self-Rally attempt ? (although often negated by the -1 for Rally Terrain Bonus).