Happy Holidays 2019!!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
William Leslie Lyster was Alberta on 20 February 1920. "Bill" joined the South Alberta Regiment in 1938 at age eighteen and in September 1939 went to Medicine Hat to join the Calgary Highlanders.
He became a qualified signaller and transferred to the 3" Mortar Platoon in October 1940. In January 1942 he was made Platoon Sergeant of Number Three Platoon (Mortars).
During the Dieppe Raid, he and Sergeant Bert Pittaway sailed on LCT 6. Lucky enough not to be ordered to disembark on the beach, they manned an anti-aircraft gun and were credited with shooting down a German warplane. They became the first Calgary Highlanders to be rewarded for bravery in the Second World War, being Mentioned in Despatches.
Lyster was appointed Company Sergeant Major of "C" Company in December 1942 and was recommend to attend the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in April 1944. Lyster not only attended the course but passed out on top of the class, becoming the first Canadian ever to win the Belt and Sword of Honour, the traditional award for the best student.
After the Scheldt battle, the Highlanders went into static positions in the Nijmegen Salient. One of Lyster's tasks on Christmas day was writing to the parents of Austin N. Yeoman, a private belonging to his company. Lyster was now acting company commander, and Yeoman had been killed the day before. "I remember sitting down and writing a letter to Mr. Yeoman...I told him what a brave son he had and all this sort of stuff and I didn't even know the lad. That was our job."

Photo above shows Lyster on Christmas Day, 1944, enjoying tinned beef and a cozy slit trench. He survived the war with the rank of Major and passed away in December 1996.