Gaps in Bocage (DZ:SMA related)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sainte-Mère-Église has lost of gaps in Bocage hexsides, and I am wondering how these interact with the LOS-blocking feature of Bocage.

Normally, LOS through a Bocage hexside is blocked when it doesn't cross either hex's hexside. But what if that LOS is through a Gap in the Bocage?

(Actually the same question would apply to normal Walls and Hedges)

B9.3 only waives TEM (when the target unit is moving), and I didn't find another rule waiving LOS blocking.

So, say a unit is in SaI10 (with Wall Advantage), and an enemy unit moves in SaL8. Does LOS exist between the two? (LOS crosses the J9/K9 Bocage hexside right in a gap)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

the way I see it, if the 747 moves N14 the squad in Q13 can light him up.

If the 747 stays in N14 and it is the 658 preps, the 658 can fire at the 747 through the gap.

The 747 in hex W11 is behind the bocage hex with a gap, if the 658 preps at the 747 in W11 that 747 gets the +2 bocage tem.

Hopefully that helps.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Try here bud

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
OK, so Perry seems to say that gaps do change LOS and not just TEM. Thanks.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
OK, so Perry seems to say that gaps do change LOS and not just TEM. Thanks.
I think it's per normal LOS rules....A6.1:
"If the thread does not cross a terrain depiction capable of obstructing the LOS between the target and firing hexes (with the obstruction visible on both sides of the thread)"

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You're (as usual) right (so the "gap" rule actually only alters TEM). Walls/hedges are a tricky thing though, because of the "hexside, inclusive of vertices" provision - though B9.1 does point out the gap exception.

So, if an occasional wall/hedge/bocage depiction does not extend to the vertex, the vertex still blocks LOS or creates TEM; but if there is a gap in it, and the LOS goes through the gap, the LOS is still clear (and TEM can only be claimed when stationary, as per B9.3).

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've sent MMP a couple of questions regarding LOS for a unit entrenched behind bocage
(or hedge/wall) that has a gap. Still no reply from them...

I think, given the release of SME, that an article outlining the issues with bocage (or hedge/
wall) gaps, LOS, and entrenchments would be well timed and well received.

indy

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The Gaps really open up the map and minimize the impact of moving behind the bocage...Being seen for a "split Second"

O15 - P12
S10-R12
U11-X11
etc