Bocage Gap

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
B9.54:
"9.54 MOVEMENT: To cross a bocage hexside costs Infantry two MF plus COT. No other unit may cross a bocage hexside except a fully-tracked AFV. An AFV crossing a bocage hexside cannot use Reverse-movement/carry-Riders, and is subject to Underbelly Hits, loss of Schuerzen (D11.2), and Bog (in the hex being exited), as it crosses the bocage hexside [EXC to all: if crossing via an obvious gap (9.4) or existing Breach (9.541)]."

B9.4:
"Some wall/hedge hexsides such as 6W9-X9 have obvious gaps in them which can be crossed without paying the wall/hedge MF/MP penalty (by using the road if one exists)."

The "by using the road if one exists" part just means that if there is a road, then the road must be used when crossing the hexside....not that a road must be present.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
B9.54:
"9.54 MOVEMENT: To cross a bocage hexside costs Infantry two MF plus COT. No other unit may cross a bocage hexside except a fully-tracked AFV. An AFV crossing a bocage hexside cannot use Reverse-movement/carry-Riders, and is subject to Underbelly Hits, loss of Schuerzen (D11.2), and Bog (in the hex being exited), as it crosses the bocage hexside [EXC to all: if crossing via an obvious gap (9.4) or existing Breach (9.541)]."

B9.4:
"Some wall/hedge hexsides such as 6W9-X9 have obvious gaps in them which can be crossed without paying the wall/hedge MF/MP penalty (by using the road if one exists)."

The "by using the road if one exists" part just means that if there is a road, then the road must be used when crossing the hexside....not that a road must be present.
Thanks chaps. Thought as much.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played a scenario out of the excellent SME pack last week...

It seems the bocage gaps not only change movement (per the footnotes,
but LOS). I think I have this correct:

Have a look at board Fa. (Sorry for the lack of a picture, gamesquad says
the .jpg I have is too big, and I don't know how to fix that problem.)

In all cases, the firer is in H9. The target hexes in question are H1, H2, and H3.
Assume no other units are in play. H9/H8 and H1/H0 are bocage hexsides,
as is H4/H3 (but with a gap):

H9 B H8 H7 H6 H5 H4 B* H3 H2 H1 B H0

B indicates bocage, B* bocage with a gap. All hexes are otherwise open ground.

A unit in H9 can see through the gap in H4/H3 through to any units
with WA in H0.

A firelane (from a MMG or HMG) can be placed out to H0. Any unit moving
into H1, H2, or H3 will be hit by the firelane and subject to FFMO. Further,
such units would lose concealment (because of the gap).

Against non-moving units, the bocage would apply to a unit in H3, but
not to units in H1 and H2.

Also, any ATTACKERS in H3 would gain concealment, whereas the units in
H1 and H2 would not.

Does this seem right? I'm looking at B9.1, particularly the last bit "...except
for obvious breaks..." and B9.3 (regarding when the TEM applies).

Thanks in advance, and more apologies for the lack of a picture.

indy

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
As an aside. Will the gaps have the dirt on them as the actual maps and will the VASL hedges actually just be BOCAGE? seems pointless to display as hedges as it's a HASL map.
Terrain Transformation? Uh......

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As an aside. Will the gaps have the dirt on them as the actual maps and will the VASL hedges actually just be BOCAGE? seems pointless to display as hedges as it's a HASL map.
Terrain Transformation? Uh......
The brown outlining of Bocage was not an MMP official map designation to illustrate Bocage IIRC. I believe it was introduced by HoB or BFP, or perhaps even VASL as a way to denote Bocage.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The brown outlining of Bocage was not an MMP official map designation to illustrate Bocage IIRC. I believe it was introduced by HoB or BFP, or perhaps even VASL as a way to denote Bocage.
It's a HASL, why not simple add it on the HASL map?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't understand what's wrong with it. Isn't all hedge on the map treated as bocage? What needs fixed about it? There is no special bocage artwork - it's just hedge artwork.
And its BORING and blends in.
Be Imaginative and create the actual feature in the HASL...

They had to add the "path" dirt....never realized that a VASL-like Bocage would look better and do the same thing.
Ahhh the 80's