First Wave at Omaha - Terrain question

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can anyone help re a terrain depiction on the First Wave at Omaha map.

I am referring to hexes JJ73 and JJ74 and a few similar hexes - they do not appear to be referenced in the terrain rules (I might be missing it) - they look as if they are supposed to be some sort of slight rise i.e. a half level rise in terrain as they are marked +5 and the surrounding terrain is level 0 - can anyone help?

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I guess either no one knows or no one cares - and there was me working on a Vasl map for First Wave at Omaha - but it looks like no one wants to play it.

Pete

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe you are referring to the sand dunes. I believe they are treated as hillocks. I'll confirm and get back to this thread soon.

Dave

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe you are referring to the sand dunes. I believe they are treated as hillocks. I'll confirm and get back to this thread soon.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

They certainly look like sand dunes and in the absence of any rule to the contrary I would treat them as hillocks as they are marked as level 05 and are surrounded by level 0 terrain.

See scan attached.

Pete

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peter, I have been looking at this and can find nothing in the rules or the terrain chart. I see the +5 eleveation notation as well, but can see no accompanying rules. Hopefully Dave will get back with word on this soon. Having looked through a few times now, all I see is that they would be treated as half level elevations per the reference that you are to drop the 0 off all elevation notations for ASL compatiable. Thus plus 10 is 1 and so forth, making this +.5. Nothing as to what they really are though, or if for that matter they can see over the walls. If they were a hillock they could see over the wall per F6.411 second sentence. Unfortunately, that still does not clear up exactly what they are. Although it would make sense that this is the reason they are depicted. Sorry to be of no help. Thanks, Carl
Thanks Dave,

They certainly look like sand dunes and in the absence of any rule to the contrary I would treat them as hillocks as they are marked as level 05 and are surrounded by level 0 terrain.

See scan attached.

Pete

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per Ray Tapio:

Yes, [treat as] 1/2 level hillock terrain (= 1/2 level in ASL® terms).

galahad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I guess either no one knows or no one cares - and there was me working on a Vasl map for First Wave at Omaha - but it looks like no one wants to play it.

Pete
I would be very pleased if FWaO maps were to be translated in VASL.
Please let us know when you have a map reay for use.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I will let you know when this is so, but will need to to do some testing as it is a pretty big map and I am getting some performance problems with it on my PC (probably specific to my PC but we will see) and then I will need to get CH's permission to make it available - all going well it might be available in a few weeks.