Fire Lane. Has there been a change?

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend Don1 told me of watching a video about the differences between the old Red Barricades and the new Red Barricades. According to Don 1, the author of the video asserts that there has been a reduction in the maximum range of a fire lane. He mentioned 2/5/7 hexes (LMG/MMG/HMG) as the range restriction instead of the maximum normal range of the MGs. I called Don2, who told me that the second edition has not been changed in this regard. Is this a special rule for the new Red Barricades? Or is this now standard? Or is it an error of Don1? Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not know. Second hand information. Don1 speculated that it was due to the downward direction of a MG's shells as they traveled some distance, and that it was accurate. It could be that it is a house rule of the person who did the video. Sorry, I was simply asking to confirm it. The video displayed the differences between the old and new editions of Red Barricades. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tim, the range of a FL is the normal range of the MG.
So variable depending the model.
Are you still without a rulebook and asking questions on the base of personal ideas and global impressions?

In case you have access to the rules, the reference is :

A9.22 FIRE LANE: Whenever the DEFENDER declares a Defensive First Fire attack with a Good Order SW MG that is manned by unpinned Infantry (even as ordnance or as part of a FG), he may also declare a Fire Lane with that MG if it is not already marked with a First/Final Fire counter and is iring within its Normal Range (but not using TPBF) and at a same-level (B.5) target
You can get a pdf version of the rulebook for about $60 on wargamevault.
I would recommend it, as it will be freely updated.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Don1 speculated that it was due to the downward direction of a MG's shells as they traveled some distance, and that it was accurate.
Well, I think the muzzle velocity of an MG42 was 820m/sec. I'll leave it up so someone else to calculate, how far a bullet would drop vertically after travelling two hexes, i.e. 80m or in 1/10 of a second. And I will not begin to think about how far it could travel if the MG would not be fired exactly horizontally... ;)

That said you may lay a FL shorter than is maximum allowed distance. If you want, you can limit the length of the FL of a German LMG to less than 8 hexes.

von Marwitz

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Well, I think the muzzle velocity of an MG42 was 820m/sec. I'll leave it up so someone else to calculate, how far a bullet would drop vertically after travelling two hexes, i.e. 80m or in 1/10 of a second. And I will not begin to think about how far it could travel if the MG would not be fired exactly horizontally... ;)

von Marwitz
Calibrating the drop of shot is what sighting in a weapon is all about.....at least half of it. No fire arm that is aimed at a target anywhere beyond point blank range is fired "horizontally".

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don1 could not remember the author of the video but related that he was about 60 years old, white haired, and thin. Yes, my rule book is still buried in my attic somewhere. I did know the rule about fire lanes, but considered since it was in a video that it could be a special rule of some sort. Tim

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I think the muzzle velocity of an MG42 was 820m/sec. I'll leave it up so someone else to calculate, how far a bullet would drop vertically after travelling two hexes, i.e. 80m or in 1/10 of a second.
If fired exactly horizontally and neglecting air resistance, the bullet traveling 820m/s will fall 0.098m, or about 10cm, 4". Over eight hexes, 0.4 seconds, it would fall 1.57m, or a little more than 5'.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If fired exactly horizontally and neglecting air resistance, the bullet traveling 820m/s will fall 0.098m, or about 10cm, 4". Over eight hexes, 0.4 seconds, it would fall 1.57m, or a little more than 5'.
Are you sure about your calculations? A five foot drop over that short a distance, @ 1050 feet, seems like a lot. Once again though I was a squid so no real world experience with that.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure about your calculations? A five foot drop over that short a distance, @ 1050 feet, seems like a lot. Once again though I was a squid so no real world experience with that.
If shot as the honorable Mr' Repetti suggests, a bullet which is dropped at the same height as the muzzel will hit the earth at the same time as a bullet projected horizontally on a horizontal plane. See the below video:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If shot as the honorable Mr' Repetti suggests, a bullet which is dropped at the same height as the muzzel will hit the earth at the same time as a bullet projected horizontally on a horizontal plane. See the below video:
Okay, pretend I'm dense, does the bullet drop 5 feet over 8 hexes?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If this is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, then to hit a target 5 feet high at 8 hexes you have to aim 10 feet above the ground. Had no idea as I never shot at anywhere near that distance. Interesting.

Was hanging window boxes for Debbie earlier so really didn't have time to think about it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
That is a theoretical maximum calculated with no effects of air drag. Reality is almost certainly worse. By how much I am not prepared or equipped to say.