Favorite Moves

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Favorite Move (that I would like to do) includes an AFV with Riders, attacking another AFV. Twisting and turning in the Mph approaching the enemy AFV. AFV do NOT stop adjacent but instead run into enemy hex and swing's the turret. Inf must bail out, broken or not (doesen't matter) they are armed enemy unit within hex. AFV moves forward (out of hex) and takes a shot of rear target enemy AFV. Although not locked in melee, enemy AFV is prohibited to fire out of hex!

There are so many rules, regarding this move that I'm actually not sure it is OK, but the example was given by Patrik Manlig so I guess it works.
Someday..... someday... ;-)

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to use half squads to bust into hexes containing concealment counters. Very effective against dummies if they are contained in the enemy OOB. Can also find the monster fire power group as well :surprise: ...Effective and aggressive use of halfers can help you discern enemy disposition and aid you in the assault.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Swap 1/2" dummies for 5/8" dummies if you have a few tanks to play with, especially if your opponent enters from offboard.

For concealed tanks, set 'em up in a building with gun pointed towards the enemy and front away, so they're easy to reposition with either a) going towards the bad guys or b) reversing.

I like the already moving moition attempt thang too, never realised you could do that.

Good thread.

Ian

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Overrunning a CE enemy AFV can be pretty cool especially if your AFV has decent MG FP.

Advancing up to a broken enemy that is not under DM is a good idea as well. There may be times when you do not want brokie to runn away just yet. Just move up to within one hex of him and then advance ADJACENT and he will become DM. No worrying about taking an AFPh shot at him that may result in a rather ill-timed niper shot against you.

=Jim=

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ON TOP ASL said:
Favorite Move (that I would like to do) includes an AFV with Riders, attacking another AFV. Twisting and turning in the Mph approaching the enemy AFV. AFV do NOT stop adjacent but instead run into enemy hex and swing's the turret. Inf must bail out, broken or not (doesen't matter) they are armed enemy unit within hex. AFV moves forward (out of hex) and takes a shot of rear target enemy AFV. Although not locked in melee, enemy AFV is prohibited to fire out of hex!

There are so many rules, regarding this move that I'm actually not sure it is OK, but the example was given by Patrik Manlig so I guess it works.
Someday..... someday... ;-)
Don't know about rules against it, but I got to believe it would be difficult to pull off. I mean your target vehicle is going to have to be pretty isolated from any kind of overwatch fire support...almost any shot has a good chance of unseating the riders. Not to mention that a shot by the target AFV at PB range is probably going to unseat them.

Maybe as a last chance desperation type move...otherwise it seems high risk low return to me.

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Tater said:
Not to mention that a shot by the target AFV at PB range is probably going to unseat them.
Ahhh, but that shot takes away one chance for the AFV to change CA later! Against an AFV with only one (or no MG) this forces the defender to make some tough decisions.

Tater said:
Maybe as a last chance desperation type move...otherwise it seems high risk low return to me.
Not worse than your regular swarming tactic, maybe even better as a Squad or HS is < "Burning Low Quality AFV". I like this. :devious:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never seen anyone do that in any scenario I've played. But, it could probably come in handy in certain scenarios, specifically I had in mind J52, J53, and J54 where (by SSR) Russian riders are considered fanatic. I don't think it would word in these particular scenarios because the Germans have strong 658 squads to cover their tanks, but, could come in handy in the case of isolated tanks. Now, the question comes to mind, if one unhorsed the rider, forcing it to take a bailout NMC, would it be considered fanatic for that NMC or not?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Corporal Kindel said:
I've never seen anyone do that in any scenario I've played. But, it could probably come in handy in certain scenarios, specifically I had in mind J52, J53, and J54 where (by SSR) Russian riders are considered fanatic. I don't think it would word in these particular scenarios because the Germans have strong 658 squads to cover their tanks, but, could come in handy in the case of isolated tanks. Now, the question comes to mind, if one unhorsed the rider, forcing it to take a bailout NMC, would it be considered fanatic for that NMC or not?
By SSR riders are fanatic, only riders can bail out and if they bail out they ARE riders, thus when they bail out they also are fanatic :laugh:

Priest

Reaction score
Since I'm a newbie I ain't got much, but, one thing that I use for infantry is to stop one hex short of where I want them to be if the final hex exposes them to my opponents fire and then move them that extra hex during the APh. This way I can deny my opponent DFF against them. My opponent will shoot at them during his next PFPh why give him an extra shot at my troopers?

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ecz said:
By SSR riders are fanatic, only riders can bail out and if they bail out they ARE riders, thus when they bail out they also are fanatic :laugh:
that makes too much sense :) :) :)

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The "Bailout in the Tank's Hex" move is definitely the coolest trick on this thread... so far, at least! ;)

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Very interesting thread.

The best ideas tend to become "a failure" if they don't succeed. But if they do, then you most often also get style points.

1.) Fire Area Target with a 75* Gun against a CE Panther. The most often resulting 12 Flat IFT shot breaks the crew and saves your tank.

2.) Advance Concealed adjacent to an opponent squad. Enter CC, ambush him, capture/kill him and withdraw again concealed for an extra hex. This works even better if the enemy is already broken.

3.) If your Tin can tank is faced by a mighty opponnet and his next shot will rip you to pieces, then try to place enough SMOKE between both that he is no longer able to see you.

Some things i often do (success here don't depend from "good rollin" is :
Search a building hex. Even a concealed (or HIP) unit on the second floor above becomes revealed. This is even more fun if you are on ground floor and he cannot shoot at you.

I use the 6 (or 8 MF) of my leaders (but only 7-0 or 8-0) to move into concealed enemy positions. Most often my opponent doesn't fire.

CKS04

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Another favorite trick I would like to do, is resist the urge to have a leader direct a squad's fire. Instead wait for the opponents mmc to break, then CX your unused leader to move behind the newly DM-squad and make it failure to rout.

Imagine:
Opponent: You are not using the leader?
You: Na, I will break your squad anyway then capture it in Rout phase. Better option dont you think?
Opponent: Huh?

:)

Of course very theoretical move, while I'm dreaming of these "fantastic" moves I usually forget to place smoke, "skulk" etc... and loose my games. ;-)

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wp

My favorite lately is WP.

Imagine this (Gary :whist: ):

The lowly 666 AM's into orchard next to the concealed and nasty german 9-1, 658/lmg (they always seem to have one) in a stone building,

the germans hold fire thinking they can polish this crappy unit off in final fire, and there are still a bunch of other green units around to intimidate.

Suddenly the wp grenade hits them :surprise: (1/3 chance after all), stripping concealment and causing a MC.

Oh but it is an easy to pass +3 MC your opponent says :devil: , they'll pass an anything but a 12 he says :laugh: ;

Then he rolls a 6,1 on the roll for the 9-1, WP CH :p ! TEM is reversed and the 9-1 breaks. The 658 passes the WP MC but then fails the 1PTC.

Suddenly the floodgates open and all the americans in the area can blitz :crosseye: through the new gap in the german lines defended (in the movement phase) by a single 4(+2) shot, instead of a 8(-1) (with rof possiblities)! Plus the defender needs to worry :OHNO: about routing out his 9-1 and his pinned 658 engaging in CC with the 666 (assuming the GI survives final fire).

Aslo like firing WP in the attacker's movement phase for a bit of a surprise, especially when an OT vehicle is bypassing a bit of woods.

Paul

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1.) Fire Area Target with a 75* Gun against a CE Panther. The most often resulting 12 Flat IFT shot breaks the crew and saves your tank.
Area target fire is halved firepower on the IFT, no?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Chas Argent said:
Yes, it would be a 6FP shot, not 12...
Unless of course the shot was on the VTT and the crew had to suffer the collateral attack? Might be a better way to do it rather than an ATT shot.

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Jazz said:
Unless of course the shot was on the VTT and the crew had to suffer the collateral attack? Might be a better way to do it rather than an ATT shot.
I agree. The ATT would be 6FP+2 (assuming 70mm).
While a VTT HE shot would be a 12+2 SCA which is easier to hit with and can maintain ROF - which in turn can give you a better chance to hit and another 12+2. :p

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes you're in a no-win sitution with tanks, and have to hope for opponent help. I somehow got on of my 75 shermans in Ace in the Hole aquired by a bu tiger in the opponent's turn. My opponent decided to go CE in the advance phase (I guess to eliminate the +1 bu penalty and make the "kill" easier .. he got greedy). That gave me the opportunity I needed. I prep fired HE at the ce tiger, hit, no effect, had no choice but intensive fire (which I rarely do), hit, got an nmc or 1mc, he rolled a 6,6, .. luck of luck.

Last edited: