Elite: Dangerous

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Chris, sounds good. After the TESO fiasco I've become very jaded and circumspect about getting in to a game early, but hopefully Elite will really be something to shout about on official release, and again, I hope it shames Star Citizen. ;) Has an official release date been announced yet? Last I heard Scott was saying maybe like October/November.

BTW, speaking of E3, I hate to overuse the term 'overrated' :laugh:, but I think E3 definitely is. Back in the day it was an honest trade show where quite often intriguing surprise announcements were made. Now it's basically an elitist media event where people who wear watches that cost more than your car (Glenngary Glenn Ross ;) regurgitate things that we've already been reading about on the Internet for months.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, speaking of E3, I hate to overuse the term 'overrated' :laugh:, but I think E3 definitely is. Back in the day it was an honest trade show where quite often intriguing surprise announcements were made. Now it's basically an elitist media event where people who wear watches that cost more than your car (Glenngary Glenn Ross ;) regurgitate things that we've already been reading about on the Internet for months.
Ha! I was going to start an E3 2014 thread with the same theme! :D This year is actually worse than last year in that it is a repeat of last year! With the exception of two or three titles (most notably the new Doom and Rainbow Six games), the rest of the "announcements" were games previously announced at last year's E3!

I might as well add this to the "gaming is dead" thread.... :nada:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is interesting: Elite is going to have shards for entering the game (i.e., you will spawn at starbases that are sharded), but the galaxy is going to be shared by the entire playerbase. So, basically some sort of Eve-like hybrid if I understand correctly. I wonder how that works as a practical matter. If I destroy Fleet X, I guess the galaxy database is updated to reflect that for all players? Interesting idea.

[video=youtube_share;P3bVeRpvctQ]http://youtu.be/P3bVeRpvctQ[/video]

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The next build of Premium Beta will be rolled out next week, but Frontier are going to stop selling this entry level on 15th July. So I guess this means the beta proper is due late July or early August.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The next build of Premium Beta will be rolled out next week, but Frontier are going to stop selling this entry level on 15th July. So I guess this means the beta proper is due late July or early August.
I am really hyped for this game. From all accounts, it is as good as we all hoped it would be. We are long overdue for a truly immersive space sim. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm certainly having fun so far.
The next build opens up a few more systems, a new type of starport and a new flyable spaceship. More importantly though there should be significant performance improvements, hopefully this includes networking as it can get very laggy at times.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm certainly having fun so far.
The next build opens up a few more systems, a new type of starport and a new flyable spaceship. More importantly though there should be significant performance improvements, hopefully this includes networking as it can get very laggy at times.
This is the only 2014 game that I am really excited about. And vids like this make the waiting all the more difficult :hissyfit::

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-elite-dangerous-developer-demo/2300-6419611/

I really like the detail they have put into outer space. What is the point of having an outer space game that doesn't feel or resemble outer space? I just hope exploration will be as valid an activity as combat. With an engine like this, it would be a crime if it wasn't.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What a great trailer! And that choice of music was perfect. That needs to be something we see on TV as an ad or if someone decided to relaunch Cinematech.

This is the only 2014 game that I am really excited about. And vids like this make the waiting all the more difficult :hissyfit::

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-elite-dangerous-developer-demo/2300-6419611/

I really like the detail they have put into outer space. What is the point of having an outer space game that doesn't feel or resemble outer space? I just hope exploration will be as valid an activity as combat. With an engine like this, it would be a crime if it wasn't.
That galactic map was very impressive. The space station, when the guy pulled out and was drifting in front of it was really cool. That video was the first time I actually took a solid look at the game itself.

Also, the space station with the ads in front of it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop's space stations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The beta proper has just been confirmed to start at the end of July (29th). Frontier have said they'll be announcing what will be in the beta over the coming weeks, it sounds as though there will be quite an expansion in scope.

The second phase of premium beta seems to working quite well for me. The frame rate on my admittedly crap setup has improved quite a bit. Having said that I have been flying the new trading ship rather than doing lots of combat which may have helped. So far I've had no CTDs whereas they were reasonably frequent in the previous build. Once I've earned some cash I'll get a Cobra and go shoot stuff and see how it compares.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If any of you guys signed up for the Standard Beta then you are now able to download and play the single player combat missions.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The latest newsletter show that stars are going to get some love...

[video=youtube;OGupxOG853I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGupxOG853I[/video]

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Apologies for video spam, but this one is pretty good.

[video=youtube;Ty04--bvSig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty04--bvSig[/video]

Throwing your ship around like that with Flight Assist off is some pretty fancy flying

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Throwing your ship around like that with Flight Assist off is some pretty fancy flying
No need to apologize, you are posting good stuff. I haven't posted much about Elite yet because I am trying to resist the urge to jump into the beta with its $75 price tag. :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah, I failed that test miserably...
I guess the gamma will be open some toward the end of the year. Will have to see how much content they put in the beta at the end of this month.

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan

Really liked it. Definitely going to buy it when it comes out!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here's another fan video that I thought was pretty cool.

[video=youtube;ODaiPJRyyxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaiPJRyyxA[/video]

Bear in mind there is no 3rd person view in the game, so all this footage was recorded by looking up through the cockpit of a Sidewinder or Eagle and flying the ship perpendicular to the direction of thrust!

David Braben has been talking this week about he plans to future proof the game in terms of graphics. It will eventually require the next generation plus one of graphics cards to run the game at supermax settings and the latest newsletter shows a 16K screenshot!

Anyway, beta proper starts on Tuesday and everyone's off to the Orbital space station for a ruck this weekend. So time to get my hard-earned Cobra blown to smithereens!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's another fan video that I thought was pretty cool.

[video=youtube;ODaiPJRyyxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaiPJRyyxA[/video]

Bear in mind there is no 3rd person view in the game, so all this footage was recorded by looking up through the cockpit of a Sidewinder or Eagle and flying the ship perpendicular to the direction of thrust!
That was a great vid! I particularly like the beginning with the Blade Runner music. :smoke: That must have been one heck of a difficult vid to make considering he had no third person view!

David Braben has been talking this week about he plans to future proof the game in terms of graphics. It will eventually require the next generation plus one of graphics cards to run the game at supermax settings and the latest newsletter shows a 16K screenshot!
Is Elite using its own graphics engine?

Anyway, beta proper starts on Tuesday and everyone's off to the Orbital space station for a ruck this weekend. So time to get my hard-earned Cobra blown to smithereens!
Beta next Tuesday? We're getting closer and closer to a release window! Will the beta have the full galaxy, or is it just going to be a few star systems?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is Elite using its own graphics engine?
I'm not sure about graphics engine. The game is built with their Cobra engine which I believe is a modular system that supports multi-threading. From the last newsletter...

Elite Dangerous Newsletter 33 said:
These are created by the game switching to a 4X higher resolution for single frame when you press Alt-F10 whilst the image is rendered (which will likely cause a small stutter). The game is already capable of running at very high resolutions which, as evidenced by the ‘stutter’ when Alt-F10 is pressed, the vast majority of PC’s today won’t be able to run at an acceptable frame rate for gameplay purposes – it would be ‘laggy’. It also needs a lot more video RAM. In ‘normal’ operation the game settings are tuned so that the performance on your current PC should be smooth. If you are already running at 4K, then using ALT-F10 will produce a screenshot at a wopping 16K or 15,360 x 8,640 or 130 megapixels:
My HD5770 could render 4K screenshots but with quite a large stutter!

Beta next Tuesday? We're getting closer and closer to a release window! Will the beta have the full galaxy, or is it just going to be a few star systems?
The beta won't open up the full Galaxy. Frontier showed us a star map a week or so ago and it looked like we're expanding from the current 8 systems to maybe 50-55 (including a interesting quinternary system!). So far they have confirmed that fuel is going to be added, as will the police, some more ships and missions. They also adding micro-transactions, but this is only for ship skins for Sidewinders and Eagles.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a very good thing that I don't generally get interested in space games until the dark days of Fall arrive, because I could easily find myself forking over $75 that I can't afford to fork over. :D

This really looks excellent already:

[video=youtube_share;OpaMsk-kEis]http://youtu.be/OpaMsk-kEis[/video]