Elite: Dangerous

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alpha gameplay vid:

[video=youtube_share;qe5IeYm4cVk]http://youtu.be/qe5IeYm4cVk[/video]

Need much more, but this looks like a game on the right track.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another:

[video=youtube_share;NYJdomjvD_4]http://youtu.be/NYJdomjvD_4[/video]

I can hear the Eve forums emptying out already. :D

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I've said before Scott, I'm not as optimistic as everyone else that Elite is going to be the EVE killer, but I kind of begrudgingly hope you are right. ;) BTW, that 'bobsy' figurine on the dash sort of looks like an Asuran from Guild Wars. lol

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thankfully it has the old Elite feel to it. Not sure it will be an Eve killer as they are two totally different types of game really. I think Star Citizen is closer to Eve than Elite. I have a sneaky feeling Elite will come out ontop between it and it's I have all the moeny ever SC. With SC I think ambition is going to outstrip possibility and the game may end up jack of all trades master of none. However if it does fulfill what it's promising it's going to be game of all games ever I think.

Scott..When I was playing Elite tech was at 32k just moving upto 64k machines. Was 1983! A few years before we had the likes of the ST (which I owned..my gaming machine history goes..Intellivision..BBC B Micro..Amstrad CPC464...Atari ST..Amiga 500..Amiga 1200...then onto my first proper home built PC in '97\'98).

Last edited:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hate to be a scrooge at Christmas guys, but to me Elite looks very one-dimensional and boring. In any event I never cared for those first person space sim 'truck' games. The ship combat in Star Trek Online is so much better than the combat in those kinds of games.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, since this game was first announced I have done a complete 180. As Doctor Who said, the right to be wrong is one of the fundamental freedoms. ;) Unlike that 'other' space sim, this one has been almost low key in the way it's been marketed, and I appreciate chief designer Dave Braben's no nonsense approach and the way he's kept the hype machine in check. Anyway, alpha is nearly over and the first phase of beta is due to start in probably 3-4 weeks. How cool is that? Oh, and yes, it does appear that humanoid avatars are in the works, so it will not be a 'truck' game. They were talking about doing an avatar generator on par with something like SWTOR, which to my mind would be the perfect level of customization for a game like this.

View attachment 45681

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys, since this game was first announced I have done a complete 180. As Doctor Who said, the right to be wrong is one of the fundamental freedoms. ;) Unlike that 'other' space sim, this one has been almost low key in the way it's been marketed, and I appreciate chief designer Dave Braben's no nonsense approach and the way he's kept the hype machine in check. Anyway, alpha is nearly over and the first phase of beta is due to start in probably 3-4 weeks. How cool is that? Oh, and yes, it does appear that humanoid avatars are in the works, so it will not be a 'truck' game. They were talking about doing an avatar generator on par with something like SWTOR, which to my mind would be the perfect level of customization for a game like this.
Thanks for the update, Nexus. Like you said, this game is being kept to low key that I keep forgetting to check on it! :D Three to four weeks, eh? That means they missed their launch window by 2 months (they originally said March 2014 IIRC). Not bad.

Yeah, I like Braben. His vids are sober and matter of fact. No hype. No nonsense. He's a straight shooter, which give me great confidence in the game.

I didn't hear about the avatar aspect, either. Good news there, too.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Scott, I'm kind of sorry now that I missed out on Braben's seminal Elite games back in the day. And yes, I agree completely, I like Dave Braben a lot. It's interesting to note that both Braben and Roberts are Brits. BTW, one of Angy Joe's minions in the AJ forums pointed out to Joe that he included Star Citizen in his 2014 wish list even though that game is not even in alpha yet and will likely not see the light of day before early 2015 at the earliest, whereas he totally forgot about Elite Dangerous, which is already almost to beta.

You know Scott, the more I read up on Elite the more I'm impressed with it. I'm sorely tempted (due to my tax windfall) to spring for one of the beta access packages, but seeing as how I just spent $60 on TESO and $30 on AoW3, I would probably be prudent to hold off for a bit. Anyway, although I do enjoy my periodic forays into Star Trek Online, it's my hope that Elite will replace STO as my primary space game.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is still pricey, but if you get the premium beta they are letting you play the original eight scenarios that made up the first phase of the alpha. I think I will probably fold very soon...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, the Premium beta is $150, and the standard beta is $75

I'm with you all the way Chris. Although the premium is still a bit pricey to me, I will most likely cave and get the standard, probably early next month. With all the great gameplay footage and the favorable alpha comments people have had, I think this game has 'winner' written all over it. It may be the surprise runaway hit of 2014. :D I"m reminded of the analogy of the horse race where everyone had their eyes on the favored horse (Star Citizen), and no one noticed the dark horse (Elite Dangerous) slowly catching up with, then overtaking the favored one.

On a related note, I'm curious. What games did people here prefer back in the day, Braben's Elite games or Roberts' Wing Commander series? I've never played them.

Last edited:

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
I had Elite and Wing Commander. I enjoyed them both.

Elite Dangerous is on my watch list but Star Citizen is not for me. I am just not into multiplayer games. The nearest I have ever come to it is Dominions 3 but that is not "multiplayer" in the same way as Star Citizen. I really do want a decent single-player sci-fi space-faring game. The X series scratches that itch to a certain extent.

The problem for me is combat. I do not mind doing a little bit of it but too much and it annoys me. A good space-sim should have plenty of interesting things to do plus as much fighting as you want. Sadly, the standard development model appears to be combat plus a few other things to when you are not blowing things up.

Where no man has gone before - that's what I want from a sci-fi space sim, a journey into the unknown. Let me explore and trade in a big universe.

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I never played Wing Commander. I played the original Elite back in 1984 on my Dad's 8 bit 32K Acorn Electron and had great fun just shooting stuff up. However, I couldn't dock for toffee until a babysitter showed me how to do it. It was probably the first game that had a truly open world and I must have played it on and off into my teens and then revisited it on the PC with the New Kind and Oolite. As I mentioned above I just couldn't get into Frontier or First Encounters as I just found the Newtonian physics tedious, plus the games were full of bugs!

Anyway, I've been selling my ASL stuff and was planning on jumping in on the beta once it went live. Now it sort of has I've gone and done it. First couple of scenarios were pretty easy as I don't have a working joystick and managed to complete them using the classic keyboard! Looks very pretty, but as the last 'space-sim' I played was Oolite it always was going to!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well I almost got blasted in the first 30 seconds of the third scenario (one-on-one against a better computer opponent), but I must have some of the old magic left as I managed to shake of my tail and take him down after a ten minute dog-fight. I'm hoping to be stubborn and stay old-skool with keyboard, but I'm wondering if I'll stand a chance against more than one opponent without a joystick. It is very pretty...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shun, you do know don't you that Elite is indeed an mmo? That said, the impression I get is that it will be much like Star Trek Online and Guild Wars 2 in that it should be very soloable and have plenty of solo stuff to do if you don't feel like doing the traditional guild/multiplayer stuff. Speaking of GW2, one reviewer wrote that it's an mmo for people who don't like mmos.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Well, it's was my understanding that it had single-player capability as well. I might be wrong though.

If it does not have single player then it's off my watch list.

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it's was my understanding that it had single-player capability as well. I might be wrong though.

If it does not have single player then it's off my watch list.

Best wishes,
Steve

From what I understand, it is going to be a SP - MP hybrid. The way Braben described it, you can play alone all you want, but you may come into contact with other people regardless. He explained, for example, that an AI might offer a mission to you to attack a convoy. Initially, you might only encounter AI defenders, but if the AI in charge of the convoy feels it needs additional help, it will send out a request for human pilots, too. So what started out as a solo mission could become a MP battle.

I actually like the sound of this system. It seems to strike a good balance between SP and MP play.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Scott,

Don't quote me on this but they appear to be aiming for something for everyone. There is MP, there is SP in a MP universe, and there is SP offline.

I am willing to bet that is fun to debug.

Best wishes,
Steve