eASLRB on eBay

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cherper said:
Actually you will get hit with a non-paying bidder, and your acount will get closed.
Then I will make a new account. Mine only has 11 feedback anyways.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
I think the auction is ended because trenchrat bought all the remaining copies! :devil:

Yeah I bought the 5 they had left. If you look at the times the other ones were purchased you will see that they were buying them fast.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Reepicheep said:
That is mostly true, although listing fees are non-refundable. It is a hassle (as a seller) getting refunds though... believe me, I've been there and done that. Have to wait so many days. Have to remember. Fill in forms.
I think that if you relist the item and it sells the 2nd time that you will be refunded the listing fee. I know it works if the item doesn't sell the first time and I think it works like that if someone doesn't pay also. I have only had maybe 2 or 3 people not pay and I had to ask for the credit (maybe 1/4 of my feedback is from selling, out of over 1000 so far).

Anybody wanna buy anything? I have excellent feedback! :)

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Psycho1943 said:
Anybody wanna buy anything? I have excellent feedback! :)
I might need to take you up on that offer before the day is through.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
What MMP should do is look for a volunteer, pay him a $1 (or give him a game) to put him on the payroll and make this volunteer the E-bay cop.

If the volunteer is a MMP representative, couldn't he troll E-bay and keep registering complaints on behalf of MMP?

:D :D

Peace

Roger

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Actually, I believe MMP could register as a verified rights holder (if not already done so). eBay actually take action when a verified rights holder reports an infringing item, as opposed to ignoring the reports any of us ordinary people make.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

I was assuming MMP has regitered (if not they should do so, or have no one to blame but themselves when somone sells copies on E-bay).

I was thinking they just do not have the time that somone else may have (to troll E-bay and register complaints as the copywrite holder).

Peace

Roger

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RDW5150 has the right ideas.

MMP has to take action, real action.

They are a real business, eBay isn't going to fluff them off, not when you consider they are part of Hasborg in a small connected way.

So MMP hires joe enthusiast gamer to troll eBay for jerks, and reports them, with the provision he speaks for MMP in a legal and official capacity ie listen to me, or listen to a lawyer.

What does joe enthusiast get out of this? I have no idea. That's for MMP to decide.

I do have to wonder though, who were the other guys that clearly had no qualms buying the manual?

Marc Barker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious, are we going to troll for all violaters of this intolerable and despicable thing covering other companies and resources? Are we to be the police of the net? In my opinion I think we should report it and move on....it is on Hasbro's shoulder how they deal with this not mine. There is a guy not 2 miles from my house sells DVD's. everyone knows they are pirated, he is set up next to the police station. I don't buy from him because I do not support that. My son asked me about that and asked you going to call the police? So I did.....that was 4 weeks ago and nothing. I did download a few songs with my son standing there and he asked dad since that guy was selling movies are you going to get in trouble for downloading songs? That stopped me dead in my tracks. I since deleted my 23 songs I downloaded and took of lime wire. I think you have to set the example at home and then it will filter out. I myself will not buy a pirated anything. Maybe the guy selling the ASLRB did not know that there really is not one.... did anyone ask him? what about the newbie seeing that and saying WOW it is electronic I am going to get that not knowing....how do you get the word out of what is legal stuff and illeal stuff.... I am not a lawyer I am just a monkey with a puck (CADD Jockey) this is just my opinion.

skye88

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Leftie said:
I could only get 5 of them. 5 more were sold to other bidders right before I purchased the lot. I have no intention of paying for the stuff since it is Illegal and is only hurting the ASL community.

I know that some of you may not agree with my actions but I feel it isn't fair to all the ASL players who have purchased the rulebook legitimately and are asking for MMP to sell the rulebook electronicly. What this guy did was scan all the pages of the book he bought and is now trying to make a profit off of someone elses work.

I know my ebay account will take a beating for this but in the long run I can deal with it.
Well done dude :)

Marc Barker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just called MMP and asked if and when they produced an electronic version of the RB they did not. I gave them all the pertinent information the ebay number etc. It is being passed on to Brian as we speak. On a side note the BV countersheets have been approved and sent to the printers. This is great news.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marc Barker said:
I just called MMP and asked if and when they produced an electronic version of the RB they did not. I gave them all the pertinent information the ebay number etc. It is being passed on to Brian as we speak. On a side note the BV countersheets have been approved and sent to the printers. This is great news.

Ok but the whole point is that MMP DOES produce the hardcopy version of the Rulebook. This guy bought a rulebook and scanned every sheet along with all the maps from all the modules and was selling them in electronic format.

He got mad and sent me a nasty email after I told him about the copyright infringement so I bought what he had left and left him negative feedback. He retaliated by leaving me feedback too but since I never sell anything I don't really care.

I didn't spend my hard earned money buying ASL stuff legitimately just to watch some schmuck try to make a quick buck off of someone elses work. People should have enough common sense to realize that without the support of the players, something as niche as ASL isn't going to last forever. Suck it up and fork out the 60 bucks or whatever it is for a V2 Rulebook.

There are plenty of grey areas when it comes to owning electronic versions of printed materials. I know several people who have their own EASL Rulebooks. But I know they also own the printed edition and aren't trying to sell what they made.

When you cross that line and start trying to distribute something you don't have rights to, I tend to get a little pissed off and take action.

Right or Wrong, what's done is done.

Ben

Marc Barker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with you but to stop future people doing the same thing you have to go through the right people and they can make a legal argumet and example out of the guy. You know whats funny, if you have limewire, kazaa, emule, etc. you can download everything available for ASL it is unreal. I don't dowmload anything. Jus too risky these days and besides very illeagle. I buy my stuff new or 2nd hand, never xerox copies...dang i should not have used xerox there was a lawsuit not that long ago for using the name. But I do support ASL and MMP as much as I can. I enjoy playing and collecting. I do refuse to let cheap knockoffs flood the market though.

Marc Barker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got a reply from my question to the guy with the rb

You asked:
"I am under the assumption that ASL RB has not and never was generated electronically. Is the rb hyperlinked and hotspotted as well?"

Sorry, no links etc, just pdf files with all the pages/cards/mapes etc for you to print.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am encouraged that Matrix Games is doing Mark L Walker's Band of Heroes.

Not because I personally need it (would like a copy, but the price might be a problem for me).
But because try as you might, you can't realistically download a physical item.

The ASL rules is not totally an exception. But just try and print it out eh. Just try and truely enjoy using it ONLY as a pdf without having also your real hard copy edition as well.

Mark L Walker has no shortage of guys hounding him for the eventual computer version.
Chances of me downloading (realistically) the physical form of the game, is below zero (I am not dumb enough to consider it a cheaper option actually).
Chances of Mark's game in computer format being available as an illegal download 100%
Yes 100%, there is not one element of chance here people.
Mark can look forward to lost sales. And he might as well just accept it. It will happen more surely than the sun will rise the day it is released.
Sad reality, but a reality all the same.
Digital data is just that easy.

Recently they have put forth renewed efforts to curb illegal downloading here in Canada. See article here.
http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=aace2894-e280-4f82-876a-122aefd69641
Chances of those laws really helping though, I am thinking are less than 10%
Something about them making it illegal to make a copy, but legal to have a copy. The two cancel each other out.

I want to help out MMP, no beef there. But this truely is MMP's responsibility though.
And only they can in the end decide.
If they take no action, they will have decided.

On a side note, just to give you guys comparison. An eBay thing.
Further clarifies exactly how little eBay cares too.
Anime, a fascination of mine.
On ebay, right now, if you look, if the item is labelled "import" that is probably a code word for "it was copied and sold on eBay".
If you look, you will notice, there is a massive sum of this stuff there too.
Oh and it isn't being stopped by ebay.
When 200 dollar sets of anime on dvd are selling for 50 bucks, they are pirated dvds.
That simple.
No one is going to sell something worth 200 bucks for 50 bucks.

We are but a handful of ASL fanatics, and offended that people on eBay could actually sell our precious game illegally.
But I don't own the rights, and the rights are not my burden. Not possible to be my burden of course.

Marc Barker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent summation! Where I work we have to be trained in Import and Export guidelines in elctronic data. Even as something as simple as a CD falls under those restirctions. If you are curious go to the dept of state web site and look up Import and Export Compliance, Electronic Data Transfers....hefty stuff........ will people care that they are breaking laws by this standard....no Will they continue to do so .....Yes. But I have a choice here and I choose not to support that, so I do not buy... I will not feed that monster anymore then I have to.

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Leftie said:
I didn't spend my hard earned money buying ASL stuff legitimately just to watch some schmuck try to make a quick buck off of someone elses work. People should have enough common sense to realize that without the support of the players, When you cross that line and start trying to distribute something you don't have rights to, I tend to get a little pissed off and take action.

Right or Wrong, what's done is done.

Ben
You are right , but isn'nt on Ebay where you can buy Saddam Hussein 's belongings or some original Third Reich item .
People that are on Ebay are not always honest, in good mental health or with a a minimum of common sense.