eASLRB on eBay

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is the first time that I've seen such openly illegal conduct on ebay. (no, haven't watched that much...obviously)

scans of scens were obviously 'not right', but this is so clearly illegal that I can't fathom how the seller thinks he'll get away with it!!?!?!?

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think BYouse/KDalton should be made aware of this. I messaged the guy and told him it was copyright infringement. I'm curious to see what he says.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's eBay, the guy has been there for a few years, people love him, he has sold ASL stuff before.

Oh, did I mention it's eBay?

But I agree, he sure has balls.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As Aries said, it's eBay. Which means eBay will twiddle their thumbs and just watch their commissions continue to pile up until contacted by the rights holder. They have a vested interest in allowing such auctions to continue unless forced to remove them.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There is always the vigilante way to take down a seller like this, if you have a spare eBay account that you don't really care if it gets negative feedbacks. Yep, buy the lot of them and then refuse to pay for material that has been copied and sold in breach of copyright.

Seller cops eBay selling fees for the lot of them, gets no cash and so finishes the experience out of pocket. Perhaps not to try again.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
There is always the vigilante way to take down a seller like this, if you have a spare eBay account that you don't really care if it gets negative feedbacks. Yep, buy the lot of them and then refuse to pay for material that has been copied and sold in breach of copyright.

Seller cops eBay selling fees for the lot of them, gets no cash and so finishes the experience out of pocket. Perhaps not to try again.

Have to check with the lawyers among us, but my short course in the Universal Commercial Code over 20 years ago pretty much defined a contract.

If any part of the attempted contract is illegal, then it is null & void. Selling copyright enfringing material is an illegal activity.

Ebay always says the bids and offers constitute a contract.

So I would venture you could do the vigilant thing and not be liable (since no contract ever existed). :smoke:

Your mileage may vary

Last edited:

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought them all. Trenchrat318 is my screen name. Left feedback too.

Last edited:

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could only get 5 of them. 5 more were sold to other bidders right before I purchased the lot. I have no intention of paying for the stuff since it is Illegal and is only hurting the ASL community.

I know that some of you may not agree with my actions but I feel it isn't fair to all the ASL players who have purchased the rulebook legitimately and are asking for MMP to sell the rulebook electronicly. What this guy did was scan all the pages of the book he bought and is now trying to make a profit off of someone elses work.

I know my ebay account will take a beating for this but in the long run I can deal with it.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What we need is an eBay Goon squad. We need ASL guys with eBay savvy (guys that actually know eBay and how it all works).

Make up an account (each one of you willing to volunteer for the Goon squad).

Then when something is reported that is a foul, the Goon squad all swarms the guy, the Goon squad makes bids or does the buy it now thing, we basically score all the goods, then laugh the jerk off and not pay.

Naturally the Goon squad is in a position to give each other positive input to keep their positivity in the plus zone.

Nothing wrong with this idea is there?

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Leftie said:
I know my ebay account will take a beating for this but in the long run I can deal with it.

Actually you will get hit with a non-paying bidder, and your acount will get closed.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You can contest non-paying bidder reports though, so I don't think it's that cut and dry. It would be easily contestable too, I imagine, given the seller was engaging in an illegal sale.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
EBay isn't going to care about the copyright infringement. I have tried that in the past, but until Hasbro complains they will not do a thing. Buying one, you might get out of a NPB complaint, but buying 5 you are going to get screwed.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The seller won't get stuck with fees if you don't pay him though. All he has to do is ask for a credit because you did not pay and he is out nothing.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like trenchrat may have shut him down. It appears the auction was ended early. Trenchrat posted negative feedback-seems like it was effective. The words "No Purchase" show up.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Psycho1943 said:
The seller won't get stuck with fees if you don't pay him though. All he has to do is ask for a credit because you did not pay and he is out nothing.
That is mostly true, although listing fees are non-refundable. It is a hassle (as a seller) getting refunds though... believe me, I've been there and done that. Have to wait so many days. Have to remember. Fill in forms.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
cujo8-1 said:
It looks like trenchrat may have shut him down. It appears the auction was ended early.
I think the auction is ended because trenchrat bought all the remaining copies! :devil: