Not open for further replies.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I "donate" a lot of cash to MMP. When I sent my last donation, they sent me a 3" box with a few counter-sheets and a mega-ton of railroad overlays, with a set of scenarios with a macabre theme to them. That was nice of them, I guess...

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I already support MMP by purchasing every ASL product that they release, including re-releases of product that I already own. I will continue to do so. I have a feeling that I am in the majority.

Asking for us to donate to MMP kind of feels like the tip jar at the convenience store...

Semper Fi!
Scott

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Jeff Livesay posted this on FB.

There is nothing to license besides some portions of the rulebook and possibly scenario cards. That is the only ASL-related intellectual property that is protected under U.S. laws. A system cannot be protected under U.S. copyright laws, and the ASL-related trademarks have expired and are dead. Because Hasbro failed to maintain the trademarks, it is possible that MMP is paying royalties on a worthless, unenforceable license.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Jeff Livesay posted this on FB.
Maybe so. Though, I believe Hasbro bought out Avalon Hill and all that entails.

Anyways Hasbro is such a great gaming company anyways! I think I'm going to toss all my ASL stuff in the Allegheny River and take up Mr. Potato-Head. Well, Advanced Mr. Potato-Head, AMP at any rate.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Maybe so. Though, I believe Hasbro bought out Avalon Hill and all that entails.

Anyways Hasbro is such a great gaming company anyways! I think I'm going to toss all my ASL stuff in the Allegheny River and take up Mr. Potato-Head. Well, Advanced Mr. Potato-Head, AMP at any rate.
Mr. Potato Head ruled bitd when you used real potatoes. 🥰

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am a simple man.
  • I play ASL
  • I help my friends out (MMP, TPP, designers) with playtesting & proofing
  • I blog
  • I check out ASL products
  • I buy ASL products
As such, I am not entirely sure if or how a statement from a chap from the internet or the whole business of ASL trademark or Hasbro licensing is relevant to me?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Donations to the VASL GOD Crew efforts, content creators(yes, I'm one of them but it doesn't change the fact) will be far more beneficial to MMP than Direct donations, which have to be taxed as income.

The VASL crew, 2 Half Squads and other private non-MMP ASL enthusiasts, have generated far more interest in the hobby and have, as TPP have, kept ASL alive and possibly growing. These sales numbers seem to be taboo to be released, but I know from simply listening to the 2HS podcast, got me back into the mix and even making videos that have been watched 1000's of times...If 1% of these actions have led to a new player, that's at minimum $10000 in sales. 5% reentry into the hobby would certainly be at least $50000 in sales.

Quality products begets sales, crap products...(well, they still sell)... tends to not be so successful.

How did ASL fall under the auspices of Hasbro. I don't really know the details. But because of that fact, THEY get paid.
And I heard Hasbro just got rid of 20% of it's personnel.

Investing in Hasbro, might be the ticket...it's down about 30% from Sept...and appears to be rising slowly.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well that is certainly interesting. 🤔
Yes isn't it? If it is true that the copyright for ASL expired years ago and MMP are unnecessarily paying the license fee then it is big news. I wonder though if Hasbro couldn't just renew the copyright?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Yes isn't it? If it is true that the copyright for ASL expired years ago and MMP are unnecessarily paying the license fee then it is big news. I wonder though if Hasbro couldn't just renew the copyright?
Note that Jeff was referring the trademark.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Jeff had something to say on trademarks and copyright....

You might be confused. There is no such thing as "renew" for copyright protection. Copyright protection exists or it does not exist, given a particular work. Copyright protection under US law does not extend to a system, such as a game system - there is nothing to "renew" - the protection simply does not exist.
Perhaps you are thinking of trademark protection. Hasbro could conceivably try to renew trademark protection of wordmarks like ASL and Advanced Squad Leader by refiling new registration applications however that would be extremely difficult and an uphill battle if not impossible given the lapses in regulatory filings and widespread commercial use at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First name
Bunny
Country
llCanada
I'll get flak for this, but while I love the game, frankly, I wouldn't drink with Curt.

MMP sinks or swims based on whether they can or can't survive.

There are businesses and business persons I like and or respect out there. MMP isn't on that list.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
MMP is a business. They provide a product, and I as the consumer pay them to purchase it. I'm good with this. MMP should and likely works their licensing fee into the price of their products. Their business practices and pricing policies are not my concern. No need to donate anything to MMP.

This........ 100 times this.........

I support MMP by buying their products (which in terms of cardboard content are far and away the most expensive games I buy)........

The donate to a for profit entity is puzzling to me.

SHRUG to each their own of course.......

Roger

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I'll get flak for this, but while I love the game, frankly, I wouldn't drink with Curt.
Yeah, that's the down side of being a public figure and then interjecting your personal politics I to the arena. If I were a famous person, marketing my self or a product. I would never let my own personal politics known. Otherwise you risk alienating half of your audience/customers. Regardless of which spectrum they hail from.

But as you say. A business sinks or swims on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.