Discord instead of Skype

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I use my landline with speaker phone. Opponent - call us crazy - used his smart phone as a phone. Need a good long distance plan for that, but reliable.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
No .. that's the thing, I think that's what Scott meant also by "hard to setup". Thanks for the feedback. Putting that aside for the while.
Remember, VASL is "hard to setup" for some people, too. I do know of some people that have trouble with audio so Discord probably doesn't work with every knock-off audio card out there, but it works with many.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jackson, it is worth noting that Scott Holst and Jazz agreed on something in this thread. That said, barring the apocalypse, I would probably avoid the program.;)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jackson, it is worth noting that Scott Holst and Jazz agreed on something in this thread. That said, barring the apocalypse, I would probably avoid the program.;)
Heehehe .. I noted that too .. just wanna see this thread go on to the 3rd page without flaming out. I am on Discord mate (anti Microsoft), things look good so far ..will test voice in 12 hours. As long as Skype's not on, I don't foresee issues (only one program can have control of a device at a time). Will let you know.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not sure what's worse. Agreeing with Scott or agreeing with Pitman.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve used Discord and have had no issues. The interface isn’t great. Sound quality seems better than Skype, which I also use. Google voice sound quality seems the worst when I game with folks who use that.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Knock off audio card? Is that even a thing anymore? Has anybody owned a computer with an audio card in it in this century? I mean I have five computers in my house right now that serve HD audio over HDMI from the chipset on the motherboard. I'm pretty sure the audio card industry has been out of business for at least 10 years.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
The moniker "Discord" ought to be a (red) flag that this is a product of Russian trolls (or Wolf), intended to sow chaos and disorder in the nations of the West.

Chaos is a ladder...

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Knock off audio card? Is that even a thing anymore? Has anybody owned a computer with an audio card in it in this century? I mean I have five computers in my house right now that serve HD audio over HDMI from the chipset on the motherboard. I'm pretty sure the audio card industry has been out of business for at least 10 years.
Card/chip/mobo/whatever. Feel better?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tried voice comms on Discord today with Will. Connection’s instant. Voice quality’s great and the platform’s stable. I tried it on both my iPhone and my Mac. I had an issue with my Bluetooth and had to switch to wired headsets but that’s my hardware.