Crusader Kings 2

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This game just keeps getting better! If Paradox was smart, they would release a season pass. Who doesn't keep buying these great expansions? :D

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?&p=18098905&viewfull=1#post18098905

Highlights:

• In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

• Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle. The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

• The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay. The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.
All great stuff! Can't wait!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got three expansions and a DLC for EUIV for $15! I figured it was time to update my copy of that game. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Release date set for new expansion:

Relive the Glory of Charlemagne on October 14

Release date set for Crusader Kings II expansion and other DLC

STOCKHOLM — October 3, 2014 — “Charlemagne stubbornly did what he wanted and refused to listen to doctors, indeed he detested them, because they wanted to persuade him to stop eating roast meat, as was his wont, and to be content with boiled meat." - Einhard

And who more stubbornly does what they want than Crusader Kings II players? In ten days you will have another century to beat into shape. New kingdoms, new characters, new events; Roland has sounded his horn and Charlemagne is coming.

Paradox Interactive today revealed that “Charlemagne,” the newest expansion to the best-selling strategy game Crusader Kings II, is scheduled to release worldwide on Tuesday, October 14, 2014. Charlemagne adds new story events, the ability to create new kingdoms, and an additional century to play. The expansion also features game options to allow players to follow their progress in history with the inclusion of a new in-game “Chronicle” that highlights a dynasty’s conquests, marriages, and labors for the faith.

The new video developer’s diary from the Crusader Kings II development team goes into some of the gameplay changes that await you.

[video=youtube_share;3Y0DSw7subQ]http://youtu.be/3Y0DSw7subQ[/video]

Charlemagne will be available for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs via digital stores everywhere for 14,99USD. In addition, Paradox will also release four new pieces of downloadable content (DLC) to accompany the new expansion for Crusader Kings II, which will let players further customize their in-game kingdoms beyond the options already included in Charlemagne.

New DLC designed for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne will also be released alongside the expansion. Period appropriate clothing and portrait packs for the Early Middle Ages will be released for both Eastern and Western Europe and the Dynasty Shields: Charlemagne collection will give appropriate coats of arms. An e-book of the medieval epic “Song of Roland,” will also be released on October 14.

I am a bit worried about this coming out already. It was just a month or so ago when Paradox said that it wouldn't be ready anytime soon! I hope they didn't rush this.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heh. I just re-read the last two sentences I wrote above and realized I was right again. Charlemagne has proven to be an exceptionally buggy DLC. So buggy that contrary to my usual practice of snapping up CK2 DLC on the very first day, I still have not purchased it because the bug complaints are still going hot and heavy on various forums (which includes bad bugs like CTDs). Another patch is in the works, so I am going to wait to see how that shakes out.

EDIT: Actually, it seems the latest patch fixed almost all of the most recent problems with the exception of a EU converter bug (which doesn't concern me). Maybe it is time to give Charlemagne a try. Anybody around here give it a go yet?

Anyhoo, why let bugs stop you from making even more content for a game?!?

Crusader Kings II: Way of Life announced - Patch 2.3 BETA will be open to anyone!

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing that we’re in the midst of developing something new for Crusader Kings II, a project that will allow you to get even deeper into the role-playing aspects of the game. Way of Life, the next DLC for CK2, will let you become a better (or worse!) ruler and grant you more power over personal relationships than ever before.

Sure, it’s nice to have someone cozy up to you and be your lover while you’re sitting atop the throne, but what if you could choose who to seduce? Or, after getting into that relationship on the side, what if you discover that you just need some space and had a way to break it off? You know, without having your soon-to-be ex-lover assassinated. These things and much more, including hundreds of new events, are coming to Way of Life.

With every piece of DLC, we always issue a patch for the vanilla game that allows everyone to take advantage of the changes being made to CK2, and this will be no different EXCEPT this particular time we’re asking for your assistance by helping us test out the patch ahead of the launch of Way of Life. The beta test will begin next week and we’ll have more details on how to fabricate a claim to beta test soon, so be on the lookout.

- Paradox Development Studio & Paradox Interactive
Sounds good!

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This series sounds more and more like the ultimate roleplaying game than an actual strategy game lol! Wait... this IS a strategy game right?

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
This series sounds more and more like the ultimate roleplaying game than an actual strategy game lol! Wait... this IS a strategy game right?
There are different ways to play it, but it is fusion between a role-playing game and a strategy game. There is nothing else quite like it.

I like the sound of the Way of Life DLC. Looking forward to that one.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shunwick has it right. There really is nothing like it. I've always described CK2 as the ONLY real RPG on the PC because it is the only game where you are truly free to tell your own story; where every time you play, the story is completely different (and even if you play the same country/character, no less!).

CK2 is a true gaming masterpiece and one of the few lights in a gaming world filled with bait and switch darkness.

This new DLC sounds like the DLC people wanted from the start of the series! Took Paradox long enough. :D

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
This new DLC sounds like the DLC people wanted from the start of the series! Took Paradox long enough. :D
I had a feeling you would like the sound of the Way of Life DLC. You have been calling for more depth rather than more width and length for a while now.

Best wishes,
Steve

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
16th December 2014 for Way of Life. I am so looking forward to this one.

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
16th December 2014 for Way of Life. I am so looking forward to this one.

Best wishes,
Steve
Me, too! I hope I don't have to start a new campaign, though. I am currently trying to muscle through a campaign where I am playing a count of Corsica. Playing a count is challenging enough, but being a count from an isolated island is even tougher! I managed to rise through the ranks before with two other island counts (up north near Denmark and Sweden), so I want to see if I can do it again. So far it has been about 50 years of passivity with a lot of time acceleration. :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the feature list:

Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio today announced that Crusader Kings II: Way of Life, the next expansion for the award winning strategy franchise, will be released on December 16th via digital storefronts worldwide. Way of Life will be available on PC, Mac, and Linux for $7.99.

Way of Life delves into the role-playing aspects of Crusader Kings II, giving players the ability to fine-tune their methods of seduction and break ups, and also the ability to set a Focus for your character that will influence the types of events that befall your character during their lifetime. Featuring hundreds of new events as well as over 20 new event pictures, Way of Life will give players control over their characters in ways never before available—for better, for worse, or for entertainment.

New diplomatic interactions – Dispatch foes by challenging them to duels, choose who to seduce, break up with lovers, spy on people, free prisonors from captivity, and more are now available to players.

Set a Focus - Give your rulers a “way of life” by assigning them a Focus that will give an immediate boost to their skills and help shape the course of their development through events and decisions – new and old. There are ten different Focuses available to your characters:

• Rulership – Be a better king!
• Business – Gold is good
• Hunting – Kill the beast!
• War – What’s yours is mine
• Family – the most important thing, right?
• Carousing - ahem
• Seduction – double ahem
• Intrigue – sneaky, sneak
• Scholarship – We love to learn
• Theology – Do it for the big guy upstairs

New events – Hundreds of new events have been added into Way of Life, alongside 20 new event images, which tie in directly to a character’s Focus. Specific events can be triggered only if a character is assigned a corresponding Focus.
Sounds great!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting infographic:

View attachment 48832

CK2 is truly one of the classics for the ages. Even though I have cut way back on my gaming, I still managed to get a few hours in the other day to give the Way of Life DLC a try. No opinion yet.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That, it truly an amazing feat. I really wish I could play this game. What factions and levels of rule have you played with and at??

-EDIT-

So, how does this explanation on relationships in Crusader Kings II compare??

Like many strategy games, Crusader Kings II is about ruthlessly conquering your neighbors. Unlike many strategy games, however, it is also about marrying their daughters and then having affairs with their maidservants. This can sometimes be a difficult aspect of the game for even the most battle-hardened strategy gamers to get their heads around, and so I thought it might be appropriate in honor of VGG Valentine’s Day Weekend to post a guide to the complex world of love and marriage, Crusader Kings II style.

--Please note that for stylistic purposes, this guide is generally written from the perspective of a male, Christian ruler. Nonetheless, most of what is said will hold true for non-Christian and matrilineally married female characters.--

Finding a Spouse

Before delving fully into the reasons one should marry in CKII, I thought it best to include a note about the interface that could save a lot of headache when trying to find a suitable spouse. Many new players go about locating a character to marry by navigating through the Character screens until they find a character that seems acceptable to them, at which point the propose and are rejected. Then they repeat this process ad infinitum until someone mercifully accepts.

There is a much easier way to go about this. On your character screen (or your heir’s or whoever you are trying to arrange a marriage for), you will see a small button next to their portrait with joined rings. Clicking this opens a “marriage browser” of sorts that displays a sortable list of all available spouses who would accept a proposal from that character. Occasionally, something changes while an offer is in transit any you’ll still get rejected, but this is very uncommon and using this interface takes a great deal of frustration out of the process of finding a match.

Marrying for Procreation

Many veteran Crusader Kings players prefer small-dynasty starts, i.e. starting a campaign as Count Neverheardofem of Backwatersville. In these scenarios, and in instances where your once proud dynasty has been pruned by plague and misfortune to a single, struggling branch, marriage with the primary focus on procreation is probably advisable. After all, if you are not able to produce heirs (or exclusively male heirs under some succession laws) you could watch all your hard-earned titles evaporate upon your passing. Here are a few points to keep in mind when marrying to procreate:

Age matters. Especially for women, the age of peak fertility in Crusader Kings II is short and belongs to the young. The closer to 16 (the age of maturity in game, before which only betrothal and not marriage is possible) the better. For men, the fertility drop off is a lot less steep, and as far as I can tell male characters can continue to father children, though with increasing difficulty, into their 70s or 80s. So even if you are pushing 60, get over the creepiness factor and marry that 16-year-old. The future of your dynasty may depend on it!

Look for fertility-increasing traits. Lustful is an obvious one, but there are other traits in CKII that boost a character’s fertility. Those studied in the more advanced ways of diplomacy and stewardship will receive increased fertility (I suppose they understand the political necessity of getting the job done, so will give it that extra bit of effort). There is also a genetic component to fertility, though the stats are buried in the game engine and never visible to the player, but characters with a ton of siblings and especially those who are twins (rare, but you will see it in game from time to time) are likely to have inherited high fertility from their parents. Of course, the flip side of this equation is to be sure to explicitly avoid fertility reducing traits, of which there are many ranging from temporary conditions like illness to less transient traits like inbreeding.

Treat your lady right. You will be presented from time to time with opportunities to earn your wife’s affections. Make the best of these. Go the extra mile. Buy her jewelry, a fine steed, maybe even that hunting falcon she’s had her eye on. These can provide fertility boosts. If you can earn her love along the way, even better.

Be ambitious. I have only anecdotal evidence, but it seems like setting your ambition to “have a son” or “have a daughter” provides a slight fertility increase. Even if it doesn’t, it provides a nice little prestige bonus when you succeed, so it’s worth a shot.

Focus on the family. As of the Way of Life DLC, you may choose a focus for your ruler. A great way to boost your fertility is to choose the family focus. Not only that, but this will give you some extra opportunities to improve relationships with other family members. It’s a win, win. Except when it doesn’t work…

When all else fails, fool around. If you’ve done all of the above and nothing has worked. Perhaps your wife, despite all her traits is secretly infertile. Perhaps she has aged out of her fertility window without bearing any children. Perhaps she finds you disgusting and won’t come within a mile of you no matter what you try. Regardless, if all else fails, you can use the Way of Life DLC’s focus mechanism to select the seducer focus for your ruler. This will greatly increase the chance of events presenting you with the opportunity to take mistresses and generally get busy with everything that moves. The potential downsides are many (a hostile marriage, sexual diseases, angry husbands), but the potential upside is a child to carry on your legacy. Be sure to legitimize any out-of-wedlock children so that they can inherit titles and grow your dynasty.

Be gullible. Of course, you may not be the only one in your marriage fooling around. Especially if your wife is lustful, she’s likely engaging in her own extracurricular activities. It’s not uncommon in this situation for your wife to become pregnant at a time when you’re pretty sure she was at home while you were attending that mead and ale convention three counties over. If she’s claiming the child is yours, it’s best not to question these things. Though he may look suspiciously like your steward, the child will be born of your dynasty and will be able to inherit as normal. Being a father is so much more than just contributing genetic material, isn’t it?

Marry off your daughters matrilineally. The goal here is the long-term growth of the dynasty. You ideally want to get to a point where your dynasty is large enough that you don’t need to worry for the rest of the game about it dying out, and can therefore marry for reasons other than procreation later in the game. One of the most effective ways to do this is to marry all daughters in the first generation off matrilineally. This will greatly reduce their pool of potential suitors, but all offspring of those unions will be of your dynasty instead of their husband’s. Of course, no self-respecting landed gentleman would agree to this, so it means you will be marrying them off to bastard sons of noblemen and local stable boys instead of dukes and princes, but if all you care about is head count, it’s a great way to grow a dynasty quickly.

CONTINUED.....

Last edited:

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Like many strategy games, Crusader Kings II is about ruthlessly conquering your neighbors.
Actually, no it's not.

I can be, if you want to mini-max. RPG it and it plays out very differently.

The thing is, the mini-max players compete with how quickly they can conquer the known world and complain that there is nothing left to conquer after about 100 years of play.

For RPG-type players, there is not even such a thing as winning or losing. There is only life and death.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next expansion announced!

[video=youtube;v5pIdN4iSZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5pIdN4iSZk[/video]

Not really interested in this one. I'll take the forthcoming mega-patch, though!