Comet (A34) APDS?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
According to wikipedia the Comet had APDS and according to this the typical loadout would have been around 20% APDS (another site says 20% of the ammunition produced for the gun was APDS). Our ASL counter has no APDS. Is it possible that there is a historical inaccuracy in ASL? Say it ain't so, Joe.

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You can accurately simulate this by announcing to your opponent on your 5th shot that he has just been hit with an APDS shell. He will be pleased and gratified with your attention to detail and commitment to historicity and will accept with good grace the subsequent burning wreck.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Found this on wiki:

APDS shot was used for about 6% of the average load of a 17-pounder-equipped British tank. Most sources agree that APDS was not available on D-Day itself but reached Normandy in increasing amounts by the end of June or early July 1944. It was available for the breakout battle from Normandy and the advance to the Netherlands and Germany.

6% of an average load? Works out to be about A3 in ASL parlance.[/QUOTE]

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
This is one area that I have come up with a blank. While there was APDS for the 77mm, I have seen no mention of it being used in WW2, the Comet itself only being post Bulge. I would give 77mm APDS a TK of about 23 and while I am thinking about it I would up the 17lbr (76LL) APDS to 26 or 27. Though I am not saying the 77mm APDS was NOT used in WW2, until I read otherwise I would strongly advise against it being available in WW2 ASL.

Found this on wiki:
6% of an average load? Works out to be about A3 in ASL parlance.
The axishistory.com and the other article giving 20% of all AP being APDS would mean 12 rounds (or 4 for 6%). Soviet T-34/76 usually had only 3-5 rounds of APCR yet get up to A6. Going on the Low Ammo numbers [B(#)] for vehicles like the Hummel, you should be talking about a 9 but allowance should be made for non "bread and butter" ammo types, so a D7 would be indicated. However there is also the overlooked fact that most tanks only had about 1/3 of their ammo load as AP. Let's say 20-24 AP rounds, so 4-5 APDS rounds, even with 50/50 between HE and all AP types then 24 AP and 6 APDS.

Indeed almost all tanks should have AP9-10 at best, but that would really slow down the game. The only exception would be tanks that carried mainly or only AP or had in the order of 90+ rounds. Tanks main prey were infantry and artillery, not other tanks. So you could be looking at 40 HE, 5 APDS and 16 AP rounds or thereabouts for a Comet. So if that 20% is even half right then APDS seems to be almost a "bread and butter" type, so should get it's D# bumped back up to D7 going on the T-34 example or D9 going on the Hummel example. A D7 or D8 would seem reasonable.

I suppose that part of the reason ?# (A5, HE7, D6, etc) are low for the same number of rounds as a B(#) is that being rare rounds they might not get any, never mind getting only, say, 6 rounds. However until I read otherwise, no APDS is my best estimate.