CC/Melee Black numbers red numbers

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Having just finished a scenario against my regular oppo, this problem surfaced ; we have both always played CC = black numbers, Melee = red numbers...having been to Bounding fire he said that this is not the case, black numbers should always be used except with Japanese and Red Barricades - I had heard that also on an ASL YouTube channel recently.
Have we been playing it wrong all these years ?

TIA

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Right , sooo....what, it's just Japanese and Red Barricades ? If so, do both sides use the Red numbers ?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hand to Hand Melee is red numbers and they are used even on the first CC before the Melee counter is placed.
There are a bunch of ways to get HtH to be allowed, SSR, Japanese, DASL...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a great example why it's worth it for all ASLer's to go to at least one tournament a year. You'll rapidly get major misconceptions fixed. Plus you'll get to meet other ASLer's.

Brian
Agreed ...couldn't go this year, will be next year..

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Right , sooo....what, it's just Japanese and Red Barricades ? If so, do both sides use the Red numbers ?
Not really for them; just can happen with them. Americans attacking Japanese is usually not HtH. Japanese attacking Americans is usually HtH.

In Red Barricades, either side can optionally declare a CC to be HtH when they are the attacker or they ambush the other side.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In Deluxe ASL, berserk units have to declare hand to hand combat. Historically there were no hand to hand counters, so units using H to H were denoted by stacking them on top of each other while normal close combatants simply shared the same hex. Now that we have hand to hand melee counters, there doesn't seem to be any good reason not to use the same rule on regular boards. .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This is a great example why it's worth it for all ASLer's to go to at least one tournament a year. You'll rapidly get major misconceptions fixed. Plus you'll get to meet other ASLer's.

Brian
Excellent!! Well said Sir! 🤗

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Brian
Reading the RB is a cheaper way to find out this information.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Reading the RB is a cheaper way to find out this information.
Yeah, I've read the rules many a time and they don't get any clearer....not the best put together set of rules in my opinion, but certainly the most complex...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I've read the rules many a time and they don't get any clearer....not the best put together set of rules in my opinion, but certainly the most complex...
I took the ASLRB to work to show my young coworker, he's about twenty three. The expression on his face was priceless. Amazement mixed with incredulity is the best way to describe it.🤣