Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Another progress report:

Yeah, I know... we're late with the British Module. We're always late, aren't we? Definitely not for a lack of caring, that's for sure :D

At present the only thing we're working on are the scenarios, the Campaign, and whatever little tiny bugs are still waiting to be discovered and corrected. So from a development standpoint the Module is basically done, but it isn't ready for release quite yet. How much longer? I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

So... the question has come up before about how we could be much later than the original 4 months we had expected each Module to take. Currently we're running just about twice that. Well, as I've said in other threads this is all new to us and we simply underestimated a couple of things. Although the Marines was our first Module, two issues that came up with the British Module were new to us.

The first is that we're working with outside talent (i.e. not Battlefront employees) to develop CM content for the first time ever. It's been going REALLY well and we're extremely pleased. However, there was some up-front investment in time to get the other team's members fully versed in the processes of making stuff. Especially all the little quirks that anything of this complexity has with its development environment.

The good news is that this was a one-time hit to the calendar. This same time is going to do lots of other Modules for us, including NATO, so the time spent learning the environment is done and won't need to be repeated. On top of that, the team has already got a bunch of the vehicles for NATO and first WW2 Module done before we have even officially started them.

The other issue we ran into is one that is systemic and needs to be worked around for the future. I speak of my own personal Hell... TO&E On the plus side it is extremely flexible and highly detailed. Not only that, it is open to me directly instead of the CMx1 method where a good portion of the tedious work had to be done by Charles. The issues we're having with it now is that there are no tools to manage the THOUSANDS of TO&E entries that span several interconnected files. It's a flipp'n nightmare to work with because it is extremely difficult to spot errors by eyeball before testers find them.

Since there are thousands of things which could be potentially wrong, it takes the testers a LONG time (and a ton of deliberate work) to uncover the issues. This just mucks up the whole system because until the TO&E is finalized no serious work can be done on scenarios due to the fact that basic changes to the TO&E break scenarios. And since I'm the only one that knows how it all works (other than Charles, of course) I'm trying to work on several TO&Es at once in addition to my other work. Definitely not something we want to continue going forward.

The solution I'm pursuing is making a "fool proof" relational database front end which will churn out "code ready" data for Charles to import. This is going to take me a couple of weeks to develop, believe it or not. Nobody else can help with this either since getting it "fool proof" requires knowing what a fool can screw up. Since I'm the only fool using it, I'm the only one who can outsmart me

All in all the reasons for the delay of the British Module are not worrisome for us. Obviously we don't like short term problems that affect us and you guys, but short term problems can be worked around once identified. The sorts of long term problems we had with the CMx1 code, for example, spelled "death" to us. Which is why we decided to ditch CMx1 before we even finished CMBB And every single day we go to work we thank ourselves for that decision. The little bumps we've still got to iron out are peanuts compared to what we had to go through to get where we are today.

More news as it becomes available

Steve

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wish wargame developers would read about XML and XML validation...

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They say the short term problems don't bother them, but at some point being so far behind schedule must begin to effect cash flow. Unless everyone works for free or this is everyone's 2nd job.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If this is a problem only Steve can fix, then he should spend less time on the boards.

I get the feeling from reading that, that the Brit Module may still be a fair way off, it cant help the revenue stream that the modules seem to be taking as long as the main game?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
They say the short term problems don't bother them, but at some point being so far behind schedule must begin to effect cash flow. Unless everyone works for free or this is everyone's 2nd job.
Or second income for the family; Steve's wife is employed as a journalist, I thought someone posted here.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I posted that. I can vouch for the fact you can't live off what a manufacturing industry writer makes. At least thats how I encountered her. Although the yearly standard of living where Steve lives is $1.83.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Well, as someone who has been buying your games for around 9 years and has multiple copies of everything (as of today!), it doesn't bother me. I'm not one of your neurotic customers who needs the new content to constantly roll off the presses. I definitely appreciate the work you guys put into it, I'm playing mission 1 of the Marine campaign now (v 1.10), and the amount of improvement from release is astounding. I have not regretted supporting you guys, so, keep up the good work.

I'm sure Dorosh and his buddies will now include me on "The List" but that's okay.

Theres a list? What are we now then, the Star Chamber?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Actually after re-reading that thread is nice to see BF coming out with some honesty about the game. They tell us of a problem and also give an estimate of how theyre fixing it and why.

Its refreshing.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wasn't planning on getting upset about late software in the first place. Happens to about every piece of software.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Actually, Geordie, I'm sure he added the last line only to get some attention and see if he could get his name mentioned on this forum. It's too bad we indulged him. The rest of his post makes no sense at all. I can translate, though:

Well, as someone who has been buying your games for around 9 years and has multiple copies of everything (as of today!), it doesn't bother me. I'm not one of your neurotic customers who needs the new content to constantly roll off the presses.
I think most of us here have been steady customers also; I have three copies of CM:BB and two of CM:AK, not counting those that I bought and gave away to friends, and of course my trusty copy of CM:BO, now sitting in a climate controlled chamber next to my reproduction of John Merrick's corpse.

I don't think anyone here has complained about lack of CM:SF module releases; I certainly have no desire to buy them. :D Having seen that MARINES adds nothing to the game, there would be no point. I think we've done our share of speculation about what it means to the company or the industry in general, the fact that the modules aren't appearing on time, and Steve is obviously hyper-sensitive to the criticism about it enough to continue to make public statements about it. Whether that reaction is prompted by statements here, or on his own forum, or externally (hey, nagging wife, who knows?), that's anyone's guess - he keeps making them, so it's obviously a concern to him, too. *shrug*

I definitely appreciate the work you guys put into it, I'm playing mission 1 of the Marine campaign now (v 1.10), and the amount of improvement from release is astounding. I have not regretted supporting you guys, so, keep up the good work.
He's one mission in and convinced of the quality of the work; some people are easily pleased. :laugh: I guess it doesn't matter that the bug that locks some of the missions still hasn't been fixed...80% of a campaign is still better than zero...

Like we've said on this forum before, it's certainly in no one's interest to go around telling other people how to suck eggs, or judge them for liking Steve's eggs. I have no hardship for anyone who sucks them long and hard, and if he feels he's getting value for the money, more power to him. As consumers, we all have a legitimate right to our opinions. I'm glad he's still delighted with BFC products; the danger in accepting shoddy workmanship (that's how I personally describe a campaign in which you can't unlock some of the scenarios) is that it gets to be the norm. And the beauty of a free economy is we're not forced to subsidize that company with our dollars if it does become the norm. Unfortunately, though, in a niche market, there are few other options, which is why the topic becomes one of greater interest for conversation.

Seems simple enough to me.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well call me a list making anti-intellectual testicle loving Jock, but I fully intend to get the Brit module.

I want to do my bit to support Steve and his family by enabling them to eat through this time of crisis.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well call me a list making anti-intellectual testicle loving Jock, but I fully intend to get the Brit module.

I want to do my bit to support Steve and his family by enabling them to eat through this time of crisis.
What list?

Does this have anything to do with a Schindler dude?

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm a Dorosh buddy! I'm a Dorosh buddy!

How extreme and non-intellectual of me.

Testicles.

-dale
When I finished my military driver's course, we were sitting around in the junior ranks club on the final day of driver examinations and the instructors were saying their farewells. The sergeant in charge of the course stood up, said a few words, told us that we would all go back to our units, but that it had been a good course, and if you should happen to see him in the hallway or at one of the other armouries in town, not to be shy and say hello.

The section commander of Number One Section stood up, also a sergeant, and said basically the same thing - don't be strangers, go out and be good drivers, thanks for a good course, blah blah blah.

The commander of Number Two Section, a master corporal who had been pretty much grumpy through the entire course and had delighted in giving us close order drill every morning and screaming at the top of his lungs at every opportunity, stood up to give his spiel. "Well, the course is over, and we're all going back to our units with what we've learned. Remember, if you ever see me at your armouries or in your unit lines..." and our jaws started to drop a bit in amazement that he was finally softening, until the sentence finished with "...just remember I'm not your f***ing buddy."

Whereupon he sat down and we all permitted ourselves to laugh. :)

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Well, the course is over, and we're all going back to our units with what we've learned. Remember, if you ever see me at your armouries or in your unit lines..." and our jaws started to drop a bit in amazement that he was finally softening, until the sentence finished with "...just remember I'm not your f***ing buddy."
This is why I love the military!

Back in 2004 somewhere in the Gulf there were weekly prayers between the various Air Wings, UK, US and Australian.

The F-15s had been having a serviceability problem which meant they couldnt fly all their designated slots. The F-15 CO sat there and gave a lot of excuses and a long sob story as to why they couldnt get all their birds up.

The General thanked him and turned to the F-16 CO, who fawned and waxed and said they could surge and help out their buddies, basically theyd do anything for the cause.

The General then turns to the UK CO and says, 'what can you do to help out the F-15s Dave', UK Boss being a wee bit embarrassed said that they could perhaps take on a few extra sorties but were already pretty much at the max and hadnt had any serviceability worries so far.

Next came the Aussie CO, 'what can you say to help him out' asks the General.

The Aussie CO turns to the F-15 commander and says, 'Dry your eyes Princess and get your effing guys into line'.

The stunned silence is broken only by the UK commanders uncontrollable laughing fit.

That was a fun tour, much entertainment of the wrong variety provided by the US Marines that worked next door to us!