Brit Module Screenshots Posted by Battlefront

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They dont look too bad. The helmets look a wee bit off to me but as i cant zoom in I cant say for sure.

Minor point with the Landrover, spare tires are on the bonnet and the side. A few years back they moved them from the bonnet to the side for technical reasons. Its rare you see one on the bonnet these days.

However, thats picky me speaking and they do look like a decent approximation to me.

TacCovert4

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they're close to reality, then I'm going to have to research British vehicle design. There seem to be a lot of elegant, if not exactly pretty solutions to some issues I've had with American equipment designs.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
They dont look too bad. The helmets look a wee bit off to me but as i cant zoom in I cant say for sure.

Minor point with the Landrover, spare tires are on the bonnet and the side. A few years back they moved them from the bonnet to the side for technical reasons. Its rare you see one on the bonnet these days.

However, thats picky me speaking and they do look like a decent approximation to me.
What was the technical reason, out of curiousity?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Visibility and ease of access. Also I seem to recall a few bonnets falling on a few heads, which kind of hurts if its accompanied by a 70Lb tire.
We had spare tires mounted on the LSVW on a spring-mounted swing arm. The reason was that we wanted to be able to have one person be able to remove the tires (it's a 6/4 ton truck, essentially). There was sniggering about that and unkind comments about "letting women in the Forces", but hey, I'm not 6'4" myself nor a bodybuilder. Trouble was, the contraption was poorly designed and everyone taught to use the thing was told the perils of having your arm ripped from its socket, so basically I was scared to go near it. Luckily I never had to change the tire at all on that truck. Did have to change one on the MLVW (American M35) which was a different proposition - the spare was mounted upside down on the frame of the truck, meaning you had to lie underneath it, and brace it while you worked years of grime off the wheel nuts, inverted, then let the wheel fall on your knees and elbows...

Peek

Reaction score
Country
ll
Looks like they haven't tucked their trousers into their boots at any rate. That could well be your doing Geordie.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looks like they haven't tucked their trousers into their boots at any rate. That could well be your doing Geordie.
I would hope that they may have studied a few photos or docus before designing the guys. But I like the no tucked in trousers look and when I stated this on the BF site, guess what, I got a legion of Beta-boys telling me how it wasnt so, then when I got them some photo proof I had some getting photos of Brits with their legs bent and saying -'see, those trousers are halfway up their legs!'.

Im just glad that whoever designed the troops model had the sense to get something minor right as it wuld really spoil it for me to have it otherwise.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would hope that they may have studied a few photos or docus before designing the guys. But I like the no tucked in trousers look and when I stated this on the BF site, guess what, I got a legion of Beta-boys telling me how it wasnt so, then when I got them some photo proof I had some getting photos of Brits with their legs bent and saying -'see, those trousers are halfway up their legs!'.

Im just glad that whoever designed the troops model had the sense to get something minor right as it wuld really spoil it for me to have it otherwise.
Oh, in true fashion, even if Geordie was responsible for pointing it out, there's no way he would ever be credited by name for having helped, so don't even think about it. That's not how 'things are done around here' ;)

Savour the victory anyway, Geordie. Glad you were able to get through to them.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see that some other guys are commenting on the Helmets being wrong too. SF is set last year (2008) so I dont understand why BF are trying to model things that arent even on a Brit soldier today. The helmet should be the Mk6a (the base black one rather than the base green one).

If anything they should be moddeling the new helmet that WILL be adopted that looks a wee bit more like the current US one.

Whatever though, none of those, nor the improved version of the SA-80 (L85 family) family were in service in 2008. SF is supposed to represent a 3 month warfighting phase, BF should never have shot themselves in the foot over these dates. Actually it would have been a much better idea just to have the months and leave out the years, then they could say, hey, the timeline is theoretical, we can now put in what we like.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadly, looking at these screenshots made me realize what really drives me nuts about CM:SF's graphics. The men look exactly like slightly colorized versions of the guys in those bags of plastic soldiers. A few basic poses, with each pose being the exact same guy... and they even look shiny in the wrong places! :angry:

John

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
You do realise Elvis will stalk you over here, Dorosh, about commenting on something you haven't played? ;)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You do realise Elvis will stalk you over here, Dorosh, about commenting on something you haven't played? ;)
This forum has a lovely Ignore feature that works wonderfully. Actually, I wonder if the top hatches on the APC simply weren't open, but either way, I didn't say any of those wonderful 1:1 animations pulling the hatch closed. :) I can't be bothered to go back and look.

No arrowhead formations for the infantry, vehicles shooting through each other, vehicles running over billiard flat ground with some play-dough hills on a sunny day shooting at a third-world army. Please charge my credit card now. :rolleyes:

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
I thought the guy firing the minimi at the start looked very good. But watching the vehicles crest the ridge was disappointing. It didn't look all that much better than CMx1 in its overall effect.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I thought the guy firing the minimi at the start looked very good. But watching the vehicles crest the ridge was disappointing. It didn't look all that much better than CMx1 in its overall effect.
I had the same impression; the Minimi almost looked like a news clip or recruiting video. Then the goofy crest line thingie came on, and I could hear the music from the intro video to CM:BO in my mind. And I got a flashback to those Zombat Missionaries in that video too. They need a choreographer or something.

Of course, you and I have a lot of baggage, so I doubt others see the same things we're seeing, but still...

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ugh. Toy plastic gorilla-soldiers.

Correction, zombie gorilla-soldiers.

And that awful, awful whining sound that I guess was supposed to be a bunch of engines and trannies running... but they did say the sound and video capture was low to medium, so I suppose I'll just try to forget I ever heard it.

John