BoF 12 victory conditions question

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

About to start this one up. The historical situation is that the Russians have landed an elite force west of a canal with a larger force coming on from the East and fighting their way through Japanese lines to them. The VC are for the Russians to hold one building on the west side of the canal and have “…unbroken units within 2 hexes of each bridge….”
The Russians are given 2 Demo Charges so they could just destroy the bridges and concentrate on holding one building anywhere on the west side. Seems gamey, am I missing a rule somewhere?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Destroying one or both bridges might make it much easier to achieve their victory conditions but do not in itself alter the need for both (actually 3: 1 building, 2 bridges) conditions to be satisfied.

The original FrF 24 scenario had "and have >= 1 unbroken MC <= 2 hexes from each undestroyed Board 23 bridge". Clearly MMP felt that forcing the Soviets to have 1 unbroken MMC close to a bridge, whether destroyed or not, made for a better game. Being a solo and bad player, I can't say for sure, but the destruction of one or both bridges is very DR chancy and could make too much of a difference.

Yup, you can DC the bridges, but still have to keep 1 unbroken MMC close, regardless of the bridge demolition result.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think MMP might have thought that the word "undestroyed" was not necessary. I don't recall this being a change in the VC.
The scenario is designed with the possibility of blowing up bridges, so personally I don't think that is 'gamey', ymmv. :)

Might want to drop MMP a Q&A on the VC perhaps.