Blitzkrieg and drugs

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The US at least used it too. One would assume the Soviets as well.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The US at least used it too. One would assume the Soviets as well.
What product was it in the US and how frequent was it used?
In the book, the author claims that no less than 20,000 doses were distributed to the 1 Pz. Div. alone for the 10th of May 1940.

Rommel at Dinant in the water helping engineers building the pontoon bridge...he was high. :rofl:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What product was it in the US and how frequent was it used?
I do not know. The episode I know of is from the memoir of a 101st soldier who was told to take a pill before boarding the plane for D-Day--he said he didn't know what it was, but did as he was told. I believe there's been studies on it, as well as the German use before. It doesn't seem very surprising to me. Drug use and war go hand in hand throughout history.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I do not know. The episode I know of is from the memoir of a 101st soldier who was told to take a pill before boarding the plane for D-Day--he said he didn't know what it was, but did as he was told. I believe there's been studies on it, as well as the German use before. It doesn't seem very surprising to me. Drug use and war go hand in hand throughout history.
I have always understood that the pills issued to airborne before Normandy were motion sickness (http://ww2awartobewon.com/wwii-collectibles/motion-sickness-pills/) and so tended to put the men to sleep rather than pump them up. That said, I believe that there was a great deal of drug use by both sides.

JR

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could this explain the success of the bicycle - borne Japanese troops on the Malay peninsula in 1942? Or course, in the photos which I've viewed, none of them were covered in scabs, sucking on cigs beneath flat brimmed ball caps while pedalling their BMX bikes all night as they filled their backpacks with their ill-gotten gains from smashing car Windows to support their meth habit.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the caffeine and nicotine the US pushed onto the armed forces probably made up for a lack of crystal meth :) I can imagine as an emergency drug in some conditions it would still be stocked, maybe some of the ADD meds, too.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Well, the caffeine and nicotine the US pushed onto the armed forces probably made up for a lack of crystal meth :) I can imagine as an emergency drug in some conditions it would still be stocked, maybe some of the ADD meds, too.
From what I have seen online it looks like the allies supplied amphetamines to service men: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1omm8m/what_role_did_amphetamines_have_in_wwii_by_both/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22073434. I can't tell you the extent. It seems like German use was more extensive, but that is only my impression.

JR

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could this explain the success of the bicycle - borne Japanese troops on the Malay peninsula in 1942?
On-line searches produce inconsistent reports on Japanese military usage of amphetamines, with some saying that it was common and others suggesting that it was rare or unusual. That inclines me to believe that any such usage was informal rather than systematic.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Possibly because the Japanese chemical industry was far less developed than the German one.