Baseball Thread, 2011

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There's hope for you yet. He just broke up with Minka.

They showed a slideshow of his ex gfs. He knows how to pick 'em. Yowza.
You can't tie a real man down to just one woman! :coolban:

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Hmmmm...

I was always taught that with 2 outs you go to first, because the runners are taking off at contact. Unless of course you're standing close to 3rd base.
Rob,

Actually, With 2 strikes and 2 outs at the levels I mentioned (well depending on the level of coaching you get at small colleges as it varies from slapdick to actually pretty good!) players are taught to transition from their secondary lead to turn and run on the flash of the hands through the zone and NOT on contact. The idea behind that is one of 3 things will happen: The ball will be put into play, the batter will foul it off, or the batter (with 2 strikes) will strikeout. In any of those three instances you get the best jump possible by moving on the flash of the hands and not waiting for contact...

That being said and adding to the equation that the average college to professional player covers about 16-18 ft. per second, The above fundamentals still hold true. The idea being that you want your positon players to develop the ability to think and reason in more than 1 dimension on the fly. Developing this ability gives the ballplayer more options to draw from-like more tools in the toolbox for an ASL player.

This is why players are taught to minimize their actions and be more efficient defensively, for they know that every second wasted = 18 feet of baseline. 15 years ago this was taken to the extreme in infielders as they were taught to recieve and separate low, no gather, no extra steps, and "kick through to their target".

Today if you watch infielders, you will see that they actually receive the ball and gather and pat to load during said gather (unless a bang bang situation for a shortstop and then they will receive and separate low and kick through) and then kick through to their target. The idea being is that it is okay to sacrifice some feet down the baseline in order to deliver a stronger, more accurate throw...

Again, I hope this is of some assistance:)

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob,

Actually, With 2 strikes and 2 outs at the levels I mentioned (well depending on the level of coaching you get at small colleges as it varies from slapdick to actually pretty good!) players are taught to transition from their secondary lead to turn and run on the flash of the hands through the zone and NOT on contact. The idea behind that is one of 3 things will happen: The ball will be put into play, the batter will foul it off, or the batter (with 2 strikes) will strikeout. In any of those three instances you get the best jump possible by moving on the flash of the hands and not waiting for contact...

That being said and adding to the equation that the average college to professional player covers about 16-18 ft. per second, The above fundamentals still hold true. The idea being that you want your positon players to develop the ability to think and reason in more than 1 dimension on the fly. Developing this ability gives the ballplayer more options to draw from-like more tools in the toolbox for an ASL player.

This is why players are taught to minimize their actions and be more efficient defensively, for they know that every second wasted = 18 feet of baseline. 15 years ago this was taken to the extreme in infielders as they were taught to recieve and separate low, no gather, no extra steps, and "kick through to their target".

Today if you watch infielders, you will see that they actually receive the ball and gather and pat to load during said gather (unless a bang bang situation for a shortstop and then they will receive and separate low and kick through) and then kick through to their target. The idea being is that it is okay to sacrifice some feet down the baseline in order to deliver a stronger, more accurate throw...

I wasn't concerned about the exact specifics about running on contact as I haven't played ball since high school in the 70s, I was more concerned about throwing to 2nd base with 2 outs.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just came up with another sponsor. :laugh:
It's not Sugardale Dollar Dog Day. They've been sponsoring the Tribe since, at least, the early 60s.

"That last Foul Ball was brought to you by 2 Bit Bill's Cornstarch. Don't get caught with Foul Balls. Use 2 Bit Bill's Cornstarch and stay in the game." :smoke:

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
I wasn't concerned about the exact specifics about running on contact as I haven't played ball since high school in the 70s, I was more concerned about throwing to 2nd base with 2 outs.
Again that goes back to my earlier post about where the ball is hit dictating where you go with the ball. Which also ties into my most recent post with respect to developing the ability to think and reason in more than one dimension on the fly. As to the specifics of the play itself- I didn't see it. Glenn said 2 outs and the infield deep. He said the 2nd baseman was late to the bag (or that might have been Psycho's observation).

If the 2nd baseman was indeed late to the bag, there are several factors that would play into that, but to simplify this I will use two.

Batter L/H or R/H: If the batter was LH (and based on the description of the play he was not, however again I didn't see it) the 2nd baseman perhaps in addition to playing deep, was shading to the "4 hole", that is the hole between where the 1st baseman and 2nd baseman play. Understand there is a world of difference between shading towards, "playing to", and "swung around". Most fans and retired baseball fossils (meaning retired from the year 1990 and back) refer to this as "playing the batter to pull" but that has long since evolved in the last 20 years...If that is the case, that could be a factor as to why he was late getting to 2nd but then that falls on Inge for lack of pre pitch preparation and presence...If the batter was RH then that brings me to:

Spray Charts: Each team has batter spray charts on their opponents position players that are current and updated on the fly. These are in the shape of a ballpark and generally track all hitters tendencies within their compiled at bats: It goes far, far beyond just looking at the chart and seeing where the majority of the balls he puts into play go, but for this purpose that would be about the sum of it. Coaches take the information and pre-pitch position their players accordingly.

That perhaps might have been the case here. Detroit's "book" might have had the 2nd baseman shaded to the "4 hole" on a RH as well with 2 strikes...In which case again that would fall on Inge for a lack of pre pitch prepatation and presence...

There are so many more factors involved here and in fact in most mangerial decisions, that it would absolutely boggle a fans mind and would probably cause him/her to rethink their postions against managers from one play to the next if they were truly privy to all the elements in the equations that managers crunch on the fly in game.

This isn't high school or little league stuff here which, unfortunately, is how we as humans tend to equate or rationalize one way or the other what we see happening in front of us on the tv or at the ballpark.

When one steps through that door past that and is exposed to the game of baseball at a very high level-well, it is like ASL again Rob. Guys like you, Brett, Doug Shepard, Kirk etc. see ASL in Technicolor whereas guys like me still see it in black and white....

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it sucks that injuries are killing our (SF Giants) chances to win. Arizona, please they don't have the talent to even win a single game against Philly or Atlanta.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This damn weather is f'ing with my fantasy team! :hissyfit:

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Well, it sucks that injuries are killing our (SF Giants) chances to win. Arizona, please they don't have the talent to even win a single game against Philly or Atlanta.
Phillly is obviously a tough matchup for anybody in either league based on their starting pitching. More than anything last year, pitching-starting pitching in particular is what allowed San Fran to match up so well in the postseason. Arizona has had a fine year and quite unexpected at this point. I don't really think they are built for anything yet, especially postseason. In spite of their injuries the Giants staff alone make them built for postseason-although I don't think it will happen this year (one of those type of years for them with respect to luck that is pointing to no...), if and it is a big if, the Giants can get in, their pitching is an equalizer although offensively, they are sh*t...

Got to hand it to SF though....they stockpiled young, talented arms. Developed them and stayed true to their philosophy, instead of dealing a few away for a couple of difference-makers offensively which has paid off with at least one championship 3-4 years sooner than most evaluators expected them to even compete for...much less win.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will Giants fans cry when their pitching staff gets lured away to teams
that actually have offenses?

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
Will Giants fans cry when their pitching staff gets lured away to teams
that actually have offenses?
Due to the fact that I grew up about 2 hours south of there(although I've lived most of the last 15 years in the Midwest, now living in S.A.), and minus myself my whole family are Giants fans(selective lineage memory I guess), probably. They seem to cry about everything from my experience with them. Hell, they couldn't wait to rub it in my face (or at least attempt to) when they won last year-although they must have forgotten that my job demands dictate that I remain objective about it all...

Reminded me of the pessimistic view Bostonians had with respect to their franchises...at least before they became the new Titletown of the last decade...good for them and their good fortune:)

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The freakin' Bleached Hosery are on a five game winning streak and gaining on my Tigers! They've finally benched Dunn.

We meet them for three games this weekend. Could decide the fate of the Central!

Cleveland's hanging around too.

This is the time of year when Tigers fans get nervous. We remember being up seven games with only a dozen left to play and STILL losing the division to the Twins in 2009.

I'll never forget that extra tiebreaking game we were forced to play in Minnissota. We were at ASLOK, and had to take a cab to some crappy bar because you couldn't watch the game at the hotel. We would have won the game if they would've called a pitch that hit Inge. The replay showed it hitting his sleeve, but the ump was blind! It went into extra innings and we got so drunk and spent so much money that we almost killed ourselves the next day after they lost. Never want to go through that again. Never.

So the Bleached Hosery must die! :freak:

Mr. Omaha

Reaction score
The freakin' Bleached Hosery are on a five game winning streak and gaining on my Tigers! They've finally benched Dunn.

We meet them for three games this weekend. Could decide the fate of the Central!

Cleveland's hanging around too.

This is the time of year when Tigers fans get nervous. We remember being up seven games with only a dozen left to play and STILL losing the division to the Twins in 2009.

I'll never forget that extra tiebreaking game we were forced to play in Minnissota. We were at ASLOK, and had to take a cab to some crappy bar because you couldn't watch the game at the hotel. We would have won the game if they would've called a pitch that hit Inge. The replay showed it hitting his sleeve, but the ump was blind! It went into extra innings and we got so drunk and spent so much money that we almost killed ourselves the next day after they lost. Never want to go through that again. Never.

So the Bleached Hosery must die! :freak:
Tigers win again Glennbo...I know you are happy:)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Red Sox/Yankees have battled again....

CC Sabathia won on Tuesday, and the Red Sox beat up the Yankee pitching staff on Wednesday....

Stayed tuned baseball fans, October is just around the corner....