ASLOK XXXV (the Redux) - October 3rd thru 10th, 2021

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I concur I recall heading to the room on arrival and down the hall seeing 5 blue windbreaker clad persons with yellow capital letters FBI knocking down a room door down the hall. I thought this will be fun. The story I heard from Mr Ginnard was that Fish gave Dave a certain budget for the venue and Brook park fit the criteria.
LMFAO! Fish handled all the details of the venue so I would not doubt it.

Seriously during those years it was difficult for Fish to find a suitable venue to accommodate all those flying in. The Youngstown airport had closed so Cleveland was the obvious choice. I can't recall the details but at least it happened!

Good times. To those who attended you know what I mean.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alas Sokolowski's is no more😢
I did not mean to like this post, this is very sad news. Lots of family owned business in my area have shuttered for good too. I guess our world will be filled with Amazon, Costco, and chain eateries.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LMFAO! Fish handled all the details of the venue so I would not doubt it.

Seriously during those years it was difficult for Fish to find a suitable venue to accommodate all those flying in. The Youngstown airport had closed so Cleveland was the obvious choice. I can't recall the details but at least it happened!

Good times. To those who attended you know what I mean.
ASLOK VII & VIII were the first two I attended which were the Brookpark years. Haven't missed one since. The strippers wandering around the hotel did make for an interesting ambiance that is hard to match.

So was the move back to Youngstown for IX & X, purely a hotel issue? Think I'd heard rumors you guys felt it had grown too large and moving back to Youngstown, away from the airport, would keep it more manageable attendance-wise. Probably bad data, but was at least a rumor at the time...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
ASLOK VII & VIII were the first two I attended which were the Brookpark years. Haven't missed one since. The strippers wandering around the hotel did make for an interesting ambiance that is hard to match.

So was the move back to Youngstown for IX & X, purely a hotel issue? Think I'd heard rumors you guys felt it had grown too large and moving back to Youngstown, away from the airport, would keep it more manageable attendance-wise. Probably bad data, but was at least a rumor at the time...
No that was not the reason. I think Fish was just tired of trying to find a suitable venue in Cleveland while he lived in Austintown. Plus not being from Cleveland meant the lack of familiarity with the area made it harder. Keeping it affordable was another factor.

Obviously we never expected attendance to get as large as it did. That wasn't a consideration as far as I was concerned and Fish never expressed that opinion to me. The more people showing up the better but it did make getting an appropriate location a bit of a hassle.

Good luck this year!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

When attendance started exceeding 150 I was looking at 200. Lol.

Fish would sometimes mockingly chastise me for " charting the progress of Oktoberfest ".

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. Time to set the record straight. After ASLOK VI, Fish thought it would be better, due to attendance and airport convenience, to move the tourney to Cleveland. He figured I knew the area better than most and enlisted me to find a suitable spot. I asked him what the "budget" was for hotel procurance and he said he was a little tight and that $400.00 was the limit. I knew this was very low for a discounted block of rooms and conference area for a week. However, I diligently set out to find a sight. After getting laughed out of 6 or 7 venues, I came across the now infamous hotel on Brookpark Road, ten minutes from the airport. I was told it would be $1200.00 for the week. I told them that all we could afford was $400.00 but that the hotel would fill almost all the rooms and that if it worked out we would be returning for future years. The agreed to the $400.00 but would be booking a wedding in the adjoining conference room on Saturday to help make up the difference.
It wasn't until Fish was up visiting my brother in Lakewood about three weeks later that he let me know he was only joking about the $400.00 limit and was shocked when I got it for that price. (We had to up the ante the following year).
The main reason for the move back to Austintown, albeit briefly, was mainly due to the many whiners who were dissatisfied with the Cleveland neighborhood near the airport. Although, many didn't mind and those attendees have been close friends to this day. However, those two years served to increase the coffers and allow ASLOK to become the monster it is.
OK, now the record is straight. The Brookpark hotel site was the result of the ever amusing Bill Connor once again pulling my leg.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
OK. Time to set the record straight. After ASLOK VI, Fish thought it would be better, due to attendance and airport convenience, to move the tourney to Cleveland. He figured I knew the area better than most and enlisted me to find a suitable spot. I asked him what the "budget" was for hotel procurance and he said he was a little tight and that $400.00 was the limit. I knew this was very low for a discounted block of rooms and conference area for a week. However, I diligently set out to find a sight. After getting laughed out of 6 or 7 venues, I came across the now infamous hotel on Brookpark Road, ten minutes from the airport. I was told it would be $1200.00 for the week. I told them that all we could afford was $400.00 but that the hotel would fill almost all the rooms and that if it worked out we would be returning for future years. The agreed to the $400.00 but would be booking a wedding in the adjoining conference room on Saturday to help make up the difference.
It wasn't until Fish was up visiting my brother in Lakewood about three weeks later that he let me know he was only joking about the $400.00 limit and was shocked when I got it for that price. (We had to up the ante the following year).
The main reason for the move back to Austintown, albeit briefly, was mainly due to the many whiners who were dissatisfied with the Cleveland neighborhood near the airport. Although, many didn't mind and those attendees have been close friends to this day. However, those two years served to increase the coffers and allow ASLOK to become the monster it is.
OK, now the record is straight. The Brookpark hotel site was the result of the ever amusing Bill Connor once again pulling my leg.
Thanks Dave!! Lol I either didn't know those details or just plain forgot. Fish handled all the money stuff, I just made the coffee.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
“Just made the coffee “??? Do you realize how important of a job that is at ASLOK?!? You were the man!
We went through some javeine that's for sure! The rate at which it was consumed I'm surprised folks weren't bouncing off the walls!

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can we get a list of components needed for the new AP and Death To Fascism Pack? Mainly interested in the map boards and any required overlays, but also curious about nationalities. Traveling and trying to limit the amount of stuff that I am bringing.

Thanks, Gary

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can we get a list of components needed for the new AP and Death To Fascism Pack? Mainly interested in the map boards and any required overlays, but also curious about nationalities. Traveling and trying to limit the amount of stuff that I am bringing.

Thanks, Gary
Come as light as you want Gary. I will make sure you have whatever you need.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, I am surprised not too see Jim Taylors name on that list. I wanted to go, but dental problems are forcing me to stay back this year.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically I think you have them from the mini lists - here are all the DTF ones:

Attachments

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And here's AP17 (for some reason pasting from Excel didn't work on this one):
AP175 Hold Your Horses (38/75 + US/IJA)
AP176 Always Ready (73/79 + IJA/US)
AP177 A Celebratory Mood (b/d + dx21/dx14/dx17 + US/IJA)
AP178 Walker's Orders (17z/3 + US/NK)
AP179 Garry Owen! (78/86 + US/NK)
AP180 East Bank (67 + US/NK)
AP181 No Dunkirk (6a + NK/US)
AP182 Sabres Crossed (79/87/88 + US/NK)
AP183 Patton's Ghost (49/68 + NK/US)
AP184 The Order of War (2a/15a/85/18 + Hi8/Hi9 + NK/US/SK)
AP185 Unsanity (13b/68/76 + X17 + ComCh/US)
AP186 The Horse They Never Rode (61 + US/ComCh)
AP187 Home By Christmas? (80/81 + ComCh/US)
AP188 The Cost of a Cross (87/88 + ComCh/US)
AP189 Bona Fide Effort (9b/2/50 + OC1/OC2/Hi9 + ComCh/US)
Guess AP190 got left out - so you had 15 of 16:
AP190 We Are Sparta (5b + ComCh/UN/US)

Last edited: